• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

ENDED - The first two knives I made

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been holding onto these two since I made them in 2016. They are literally the first two knives I ever made from scratch using the stock removal method. They are sawmill blade steel, and were heat treated by a blacksmith friend ( @Dave_dutchman ) in my hometown. He really nailed the heat treatment on both of these, because both take a screaming edge, and both proved tough enough to baton through a nail with no edge damage.

These blades were both ground on a super slow 4 x 36 grinder, using way too many aluminum oxide belts. I can say truly that the time I spent on these two knives alone is equal to the time it would now take me to make seven or eight similar knives!

The photos below show the knives as they were at the time of completion, which means they did not yet have my maker's mark, but I will add it to each knife at your request, unless you want them "as is". And because I know some people like this kind of thing, I will also include a handwritten, signed letter, stating that these are the first two knives I made. Note that I had by this time made handles for a few dozen blanks already, though nothing as ambitious as the second knife pictured below.

Also for curiosity's sake, the knives were made in this order: Small one first, large one second. After these, my third knife was in 1084, which Dave also heat treated, and which he then won in a GAW I ran on my (now defunct) Facebook Group that same year. It was a small one, and only 7 people entered. He won by random number generator.

IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_8159.JPG

The large chopper/fighter

Specs:

Steel: ~1080 sawmill blade steel
Hardness: Processed for RC 59-60
Stock Thickness: 1/8"

Overall Length: 14"
Cutting Edge: 8"

Weight: 14 oz

Handle: Black G10, carbon fiber tubes

Sheath: Black Kydex (as you can see, I sort of gouged the Kydex on the sheath a bit, and burned the the Kydex on the belt clip, but they are perfectly functional)

WITHDRAWN

IMG_8163.JPG
IMG_8164.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8166.JPG

The medium fighter:

Specs:

Steel: ~1080 sawmill blade steel
Hardness: Processed for RC 59-60
Stock Thickness: 1/8"

Overall Length: 10 3/8"
Cutting Edge: 4 3/4"

Weight: 7.1 oz

Handle: Brown canvas Micarta, bocotte wood, green canvas Micarta, black Kydex liners, carbon fiber tubes. This was my first ever multimaterial compound handle, and despite that it's a bit rough around the edges with some misdrilled pin holes, slighly misaligned parts and gaps filled with CA, I think it turned out quite well for a first effort from someone who at the time had no clue what he was doing!

Sheath: Black Kydex

SOLD

IMG_8160.JPG
IMG_8161.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG
IMG_8162.JPG

Given the level of craftsmanship on them is nowhere near what it is today, the price is low. Who knows, maybe they will be worth a lot more some day?

Payment is via PayPal G&S (I will provide the email address in private messaging) and includes expedited shipping with full tracking and insurance.

First "I'll take it" gets priority. Upon payment, please also message me your shipping address.

Thank you for looking!

IMG_8160.JPG
IMG_8164.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks David, I'm glad you like it!

Back