The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

i stop here too....that was why i was hesitant for a while to post anything in this regard. Everybody cool and lets open a cold one. Cheers guys....

And Phil, i might yet have to find the grail for which i might just be tempted to pay whatever money...i could see that happening to me one day :D

if i hadnt just got my grail Camp i would bendover backwards for that one
Seal.png

I almost want to buy Thurin's Shank just for that sheath. Also, my grail Woodsman arrives on Saturday. :D

if i hadnt just got my grail Camp i would bendover backwards for that one

You mean if you had not just gotten the camp and also if you had been doing Yoga for 3 years plus knocked off some natural ossification of the spine :)

Man - Fogdart posted some beauties - right before Fiddleback Friday....Must resist

Here are the chemical differences between 01 and A2:

zknives.com said:

A2 has far more chromium and some molybdenum, according to the chart, whereas 01 has a dash of tungsten.

In my experience, A2 is more corrosion resistant at baseline, tends to holds an edge longer, but also tends to be easier to chip.

The patina formed by 01 protects it from deep corrosion after use, and it can get very, very sharp, but loses the razor edge rather quickly, even after just sitting out. 01 is also easier to sharpen.

Last edited:
Moved here: thanks TripleT

Speaking of Spalting...with daily use will the black eventually wear away and fade in the bottoms of it? With cleaning and such I mean.

It does fade if abraded, physically or chemically. However, under normal use and cleaning should last.

Did the world end or something??? Why is everybody selling all those Fiddlebacks? WOW!

I need a second job.

So - after collecting Fiddlebacks for 8 months (over 20) I've decided to release a few back into the wild.

Does anyone else have trouble taking good quality pictures? My lighting absolutely sucks! So, I just used the photo from the FF thread when I sharked.

The coloring looks so different from the FF posting compared to my photos ???

Have you received a knife and thought - wow this looks different than the pictures?

Zardo - to get the best reproduction of a knife picture on a computer screen everyone who looks at it would have to have their monitor calibrated. Just not going to happen. I do a lot of photo work, photoshop, etc so I have experience in what you are talking about. Also, to get the best shots you can use macro mode on a good camera or aperture mode with some bokeh (out of focus background) Take your pictures by a window or outside and DO NOT use the flash, just use natural light. You can set your camera to auto white balance or go into the settings and choose what type of light your environment is, ie daylight, shade, tungsten, florescence, etc. Let me know if I can help you, I would be happy to do it.

No end of times Phil, I'm sure people are just honing in on what works for them - trying out new models, etc.

On a side note about the washed out spalting, I wouldn't worry about it. If you allow a patina to form it will all darken. Has anyone yet to break out the gun blue and experiment? A2 is fine on it's own, but there are plenty of examples of o1 steel that could use some enhancement to show off the spalting for those blades that stay wiped off and free of patina. Though cold bluing would be an added maintenance chore.

Geez, dang it. The mailman just left my first Fiddleback - a Kephart model, I bought one from two different places with different handles to see which one I like the best. I'll probably like both of them. I knew if I handled one I would want another one. Crap, lol. And now I do. A Hiking buddy to compliment it maybe? My wife is going to kill me. She's already seen my stash of folders. She was okay with it when I told her that, even when used, the knives would bring a lot of money. She could give the Benchmades to the nephews but the Wm Henrys, C Reeves, Klotzli will bring her some money one day. Now I guess there will be some Fiddlebacks and possibly a A Bernard in the drawer also.

aztec... I hate to tell you buddy. You are screwed. Better start selling some of those folders and making more room for more Fiddlebacks. :D

Back