The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

It's a shame an idiot or two ruin it for everyone but you gotta do what you gotta do to protect your employees and move the business forward. I am going to miss seeing what cropped up on the sale section without having to weed through a bunch of other maker's.

Unbelievable... :mad: :mad: All it takes is one. I'm sorry you have to deal with this sort of crap Andy and crew.

Sorry to hear this Andy. I hope it gets resolved soon and all parties involved can find some peace. My thoughts go out to you guys at the shop.

I check the flea market multiple times a day. It feels like part of my routine has been put on hold. Maybe I will get more projects done now.

Whoa... Looks like I missed something. I hope everything is alright over there!

Guys, I'm sorry you have to deal with all this ridiculous drama! I thought the forum had been really pleasant and friendly recently! As a matter of fact, just last week I told Andy how I enjoyed all the new family members and all the friendly forum activity. This is a place honest, hard working people make and sell their tools to addicts such as us. STOP SPOILING OUR FUN!

-Will

It's a shame something like this has to happen every 6mo or so. I think one of the problems here is that a number of people feel entitled to particular knives or special treatment. Andy and the crew seem to do a good job accommodating these people/requests but sometimes it leads to additional problems. What other business could you threaten physically and not have the authorities involved. I realize this sense of friendship and community make this brand extraordinary but a line has to be drawn somewhere. . . Maybe having Fiddlebacks sold and traded on the other forums here will increase awareness of these special knives and bring in more business.

Well agreed threatening violence is absurd and there is never an excuse for that especially in regard to selling and purchasing knives.

It should also be said that the nature of the way knives are sold here in the "sharking system" does lead to unhappy customers. However it's Andy's right to run the business how he sees fit.

I had made a suggestion in the Well it's Friday thread to alleviate some of the unhappy customers but understand it may not be a plausible option or something that Andy would entertain. On Friday the PK that was available had 5 guys with the same time stamp at 3:00 asking for the same knife. People invest time and energy into winning the right to purchase a knife and it's a bummer when you're not the first person. In that instance you had 1 Happy Customer and 4 that came away bummed. In my personal opinion for long term success that doesn't seem like a good business model. If the business has the time and resources to do it, it would be awesome if they took up front payment and then built another four of the same knives, turn around time being irrelevant as I feel most people would be happy to wait.

Having said that Andy has a ton of Happy Customers and a loyal fan base that is happy with the current system. Not to mention their are always a number of knives available for sale at the distributors. So who knows what the right answer is. I can just say from personal experience of winning the right to purchase a knife, losing out on knives and also purchasing knives at the distributors it's a mixed bag of emotions. At the end of the day I love the knives and will support the business either way because Andy and crew make a fantastic product and they are genuine good people.

Cheers guys and hope my comments come off with the utmost respect because I mean them that way.

I don't know about the rest of y'all but....

I feel like Charlie Sheen looking for a hooker waiting for the flea market to open back up😎

I am a happy customer, and don't see that changing any time soon. I am looking forward to meeting Andy and the crew at Blade and buying knives. I hope I get to meet a lot of the folks from this forum at the show and at dinner Saturday night.

What is happening with the Fleamarket sucks, but it doesn't change my love of Fiddleback knives and respect for what Andy is doing with his company.

Hang in there, Andy! You have a lot of supporters!

Mac, is that specific to this incident? I feel like you have some chronic Sheen vibes going on. Let me know if you want to talk about it man :D

I feel like Charlie Sheen looking for a hooker waiting for the flea market to open back up��

Oh that's hysterical! And I can so relate! Maybe I better call TripleT for some counseling.

On the unhappy sharking note, I'm relatively new here (about 6 months), but my attitude is that this is all about some fun! I've lost out on many that I wanted badly...and had to laugh about it. I've had friends proxy for me, and sometimes it goes my way, others it doesn't . It's a knife. If we need a bit of perspective, how about we head over to Justen's thread about his boy having heart surgery tomorrow.

Tony

Oh that's hysterical! And I can so relate! Maybe I better call TripleT for some counseling.

On the unhappy sharking note, I'm relatively new here (about 6 months), but my attitude is that this is all about some fun! I've lost out on many that I wanted badly...and had to laugh about it. I've had friends proxy for me, and sometimes it goes my way, others it doesn't . It's a knife. If we need a bit of perspective, how about we head over to Justen's thread about his boy having heart surgery tomorrow.

Tony

👍🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻👍🏻

I had made a suggestion in the Well it's Friday thread to alleviate some of the unhappy customers but understand it may not be a plausible option or something that Andy would entertain. On Friday the PK that was available had 5 guys with the same time stamp at 3:00 asking for the same knife. People invest time and energy into winning the right to purchase a knife and it's a bummer when you're not the first person. In that instance you had 1 Happy Customer and 4 that came away bummed. In my personal opinion for long term success that doesn't seem like a good business model. If the business has the time and resources to do it, it would be awesome if they took up front payment and then built another four of the same knives, turn around time being irrelevant as I feel most people would be happy to wait.

This has been discussed ad nauseum throughout the years here on this forum and Andy has stated time and again that he has no intention of running his business that way. Taking money up front is the quickest path to burnout for an artisan.

I feel like Charlie Sheen looking for a hooker waiting for the flea market to open back up😎

Agreed. I was going to joke that at least my employer appreciates it since I am able to get a bunch of stuff done now with all this extra time. But truth is it just made me go all Encyclopedia Brown.

This has been discussed ad nauseum throughout the years here on this forum and Andy has stated time and again that he has no intention of running his business that way. Taking money up front is the quickest path to burnout for an artisan.

A fair point and I've read some of those threads. My suggestion was not to take custom orders though with money up front as discussed in other threads. I was talking about just building more knives for those that come away with the same time stamp for a particular knife in the Friday thread. It was just a suggestion, I don't want to beat a dead horse or burn anyone out.

It's not my business, only a customer suggestion and personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I think we are all here because Fiddlebacks are FUN TO BUY! We all might get frustrated at times, or often, but the challenge, the game, it's all part of the mysticism and fun!

Back