The Funnel. The Inside scoop on whatever it is we're doing in here.

Diesel D

Tow Mater
Please note Mr. Hunt, Murph's and my name in Red. This is a new development. We have been appointed moderators of our little forum, finally. I am as yet unsure of the power I wield, but like my Hero Batman, I shall only use my powers for good, whatever they may be. I can't speak for the other two clowns. That is all.

Congrats fellas I did the moderator thing for a while and it can be both a lot of fun and a pain in the butt. you seem to have a great bunch here and I know you'll have a lot of fun.

That's so funny I had to say it twice!

I thought all the cool kids were locking threads. I saw Mist do it once and got jealous. But now I'm a Mod and am much more mature. No more random thread closing, I can just change the title of the live threads..

the really cool mod power is the ability to unlock a closed thread and post in it just to mess with the OP's mind.

Going to the Blade Show, not taking any more orders, maker forum mods all over the place to keep the rabble in place...sounds like a brilliant marketing plan to me. Please take my money! :D

So is the plan to start taking customer orders again once you get back from Blade?

Keeping the rabble in place? :eek: hell I only hang around here because I thought the rabble was running the place!!!!

Todd's goal has always been to make a living crafting knives. My goal, since age six, has always been to catch a unicorn. Only one of us is getting closer to his dream..

Going to the Blade Show, not taking any more orders, maker forum mods all over the place to keep the rabble in place...sounds like a brilliant marketing plan to me. Please take my money! :D

So is the plan to start taking customer orders again once you get back from Blade?

not taking orders sounds so harsh......I hated to have to say that. Seems counter productive I know but nessessary. Believe me, Diesel gives me crap about it every day. Its not so much Im not taking orders, its just that if I do with my current workload there is no possible way that I would be able to start the project until after the blade show if I want to build stock up for the show. I could start a waiting list, but quite frankly dont want to do that. dont really think its fair to you guys, you already wait long enough for me to get the knife done. Im trying to be smart about my choices. God knows Ive made a lot of dumb ones in my life. I do know my my abilities, work ethic, and time restrains. and if my instincts tell me i should take a certain dirrection as to not get ahead of myself. then 95% of the time, in my case, thats what I should do. I will be taking orders again just as soon as I get things caught up and have some Blade show stock. Im figuring/hoping about 4 months..........As far as Diesels statement about becoming full time.....well, yes I think that is my goal. wheather that happens tommarrow or 20 years from now I dont know. My family, friends, and my craft of knifemaking are things that bring me the greatest joy in my life......and sometimes it seems like everything else out side of that is crap.....but thats not always to case either. Ive got a lot to be thankfull for and I know it........The next 4 months of working in my shop will be a great time for some soul searchin too a I suppose. Talks with my wife about going fulltime are becoming more and more frequent.I think a lot will depend on how I do at Blade but rest assured. Whatever I do. Im going to go after it with a fury, and wont give up till I acheive it.........Thank all of you guys again for your contiuing support. It means so much

Todd's goal has always been to make a living crafting knives. My goal, since age six, has always been to catch a unicorn. Only one of us is getting closer to his dream..

That really sucks for Tim Todd........Are you going to mount the unicorn head or just try to break it to ride?

My family, friends, and my craft of knifemaking are things that bring me the greatest joy in my life

Sounds like you got your priorities straight and as others have said, it's very exciting to see someone inching up to that edge to size up a leap that they have been contemplating and trying to earn a living in their joy. It's an admirable endeavor and fun to see happen, especially when you're putting out such high quality craftsmanship.

In just seeing you around bladeforums, you seem like a real stand up guy so I can understand how cutting off orders for now is a difficult thing to do but it makes complete sense to me. If you are going to make your living off it and maintain the joy and passion you get out of it, you have to be honest with yourself and to whatever extent you can dictate the terms of your career and livelihood, you gotta do it and get everything lined up right. As far as I can tell, you've already got one of most important steps accomplished - your stuff is in high demand and based on the pictures and reviews I've seen so far, I'd expect it to be in even greater demand as next few months unfold.

That really sucks for Tim Todd........Are you going to mount the unicorn head or just try to break it to ride?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want to befriend it so it leads me to it's pot of gold first. I'm no dummy.

As frequent visitors have no doubt read, after a discussion with Mr. Busse himself, Todd announced the lanyard hole will no longer be featured on his M-18. This makes for a total of 2 noteworthy changes to this beast during the prototype phase. (The other being the switch to his own handles).
So those of us who have the handful of early models should be feeling pretty fortunate about now. As we continue to prep for blade, the big M will look a little different going forward, and it's pretty cool to have a front row seat to the evolution of what I think will be his signature piece. Holy hell..that just gave me an idea..gotta text Todd.

Back