The General almost got lost

Yesterday I went down to the banks of the Rhein river to make some plaster casts of animal tracks (beaver, musk rat...). Along with the equiment I brought a 1992 Buck General. I recently sold a lot of knives, and I am planning just to keep 3-4 fixed blades, and I hadn't made my mind up about the General yet.
It was hot yesterday so I encoutered quite a crowd of people t at the river. Animal tracks were not present since the water level was still high, so the the usually exposed sandy or muddy areas were still flooded. I had rained for weeks. So I turned to a little creek and walked a a few minutes upstream. As soon as I stepped into the shade of the dense vegetation framing the creek, it was dinner time for the mosquitos. I took the repellent from my bag. The General was just next to it.
I went on for animal tracks, and crossed the river twice in hip deep water, but spotted no tracks worth a plaster cast. I turned back to the car, went home, and realized the General was gone. Damn. Ok, got back in the car and to the river, trying to follow my own tracks. I expected to find the knife where I had pulled the repellent from the bag. But no, nothing there. So I went on carefully looking at at the places I had been. And finally, when wading through the creek again, I found it there on bottom of the creek, slightly covered with sand and mud.
So the decision was clear. The General would stay with me for long, long time.

Last edited:
You are fortunate, for sure. I would be very upset if I lost my old 120. It would be hard to replace.

I would love it if Buck offered this knife in other steels, like S30V or 3V. Still, it is my favorite larger knife.

No, fell out of the bag with the sheath. No one else to blame but me.

Thanks for the clarification.

How did the sheath fare from the dunking? (nylon or leather?)

I've not lost my knife but was alarmed to find my sheath knife, which is strapped on the outside of my pack, halfway out of the sheath after some gnarly bushwhacking (crawling actually) despite the sheath having TWO retention snaps. Not sure if I didn't secure them both or whether they got unsnapped by the vegetation. Fortunately sheath friction was holding it when I discovered the problem.

Thanks for the clarification.

How did the sheath fare from the dunking? (nylon or leather?)

I've not lost my knife but was alarmed to find my sheath knife, which is strapped on the outside of my pack, halfway out of the sheath after some gnarly bushwhacking (crawling actually) despite the sheath having TWO retention snaps. Not sure if I didn't secure them both or whether they got unsnapped by the vegetation. Fortunately sheath friction was holding it when I discovered the problem.

The sheath is leather. It was quite soft after retrieving it from the water. Now it is back to normal.

Back