The Grand Unified Grit Chart

A scanned copy of 2012 version...
... removed ...
I will remove this pic, once the official version:thumbup: is back online.

Edit: removed link to old version

Last edited:
Good grief. I was using sandpaper back in the 1970's first in Furniture making and then in auto body shop. I thought 100 grit was 100 grit and as the number got bigger the grit got finer. Sure is not so simple anymore.

What about the Russian conversion to grit and microns? A lot of us now own the Tech Profile systems and some of their stones are not marked?
I know I've seen it here but can't remember where.
Respectfully,
Ed1955

What about the Russian conversion to grit and microns? A lot of us now own the Tech Profile systems and some of their stones are not marked?
I know I've seen it here but can't remember where.
Respectfully,
Ed1955

The Russian stones are marked in microns with 2 numbers like 50/40 or 20/14 etc. The numbers are the high and low numbers and the grit in those stones is between those 2 sizes so there is not an exact number for them, it is approximate. Take those numbers and look up the micron size and what ever grit conversion you want.

Updated the chart with Rupert's assistance to include the Spyderco diamond rods, using information from the Spyderco forums.

From where are the JIS values obtained? Neither JIS R 6001:1987 nor JIS R 6001:1998 reflect what is described in the unified chart....

I know this will tip my hand as a noob, but would it be possible to add a legend or key to the Google Doc that explained what the abbreviations mean? I read through this thread and tried to search a couple of these, and didn't have much luck finding explanations for all the abbreviations (i.e. ANIS). However, even with my inexperience, this chart has answered a ton of questions I've had so far. Thanks so much for everyone's work putting this info together!

Back