Review The Great Clip Comparison of 2018

Lone_Wolfe

Mrs G.
Platinum Member
With the recent popularity of aftermarket clips in addition to both of CRK's current offerings, I decided to do some testing. In addition to both of CRK's, the stock clip and the G & G Hawk designed clip originally offered on the Ti-Lock, I got one each of what I'll call the 'Big 3', Millit, MXG, and Ripps Garage Tech. From left to right;

Millit - Stock CRK - MXG - Hawk - Ripps

ClipComparison_Backs.jpg

The knives that got to play this weekend. Left to right, all larges

2002 Annual with Bocote inlays
Pre-Idaho 21, UG 'Grapevine' with Citrine cabachon
Pre-Idaho 21 with Mammoth Bark inlays
Old pivot Umnumzaan
Classic with African Blackwood inlays

ClipComparison_Fronts.jpg

The first thing I compared is ease of putting the knife in pocket, and the amount of wear this causes to the pocket rim. With the disclaimer that I'm used to it, the Hawk wins both of them for me. I realize that one takes a bit of getting used to. The others, in my ranking;

Stock
MXG
Ripps
Millit

I must note that the Millit was a distant last, it was hard on my hands. It and the Ripps are also very hard on pocket rims. The MXG would take second place on gentleness to pocket alone.

The Pickpocket Test

The next thing I tested was pull removal weight, using a fish scale. I did 3 pulls per clip, making sure the scale was zeroed before each pull. I recorded the highest weight shown on each pull. Note that each is in pounds and ounces. In order from heaviest to lightest;

Hawk - 3-8, 3-6, 3-5
Millit - 2-1, 2-6, 2-4
Ripps - 2-1, 2-2, 2-3
Stock - 1-11, 1-10, 1-9
MXG - 1-7, 1-8, 1-8

The Hawk clearly had the strongest resistance to being eased out of a pocket, with the MXG at the back of the pack.

ClipComparison_ScaleTest.jpg

The Shake Test

For the next test I put 2 at a time in a pants pocket, turned it upside-down and shook until one fell out. This test is designed to simulate the knife staying in place if you were to fall or get knocked down or off a bike, etc.

To prep for this, I taped the fronts and sides. These may be my carry knives, but they're still Sebenzas and an Umnumzaan.

ClipComparison_TapedUp.jpg

Here's how I did the shake test. I cut the pockets from an old pair of my jeans, then put 2 knives at a time in the pocket. I then folded the pocket so the knives would stay fairly vertical while I was shaking them downward. I put a blanket on the counter to protect the knives when they fell, and I used only the pocket that didn't have any wear from carrying a knife.

I did at least 3 shake comparisons of each pair, and paired them all off against every other to get a ranking.The results of the shake test are;

As I expected, the Hawk clip was the clear winner. It took some serious shaking to get that one loose. The Ripps performed the worst, surprising me a bit. It let loose much easier than the slow pull results had me expecting. Another surprise was the MXG. With it's low pull weight, I expected it to do poorly in the shake test. Instead it ended second place. The Millit in 3rd was pretty much a dead heat with the MXG, it took 8 or 9 comparisons before I got one to drop before the other. 4th place went to the stock CRK clip.

ClipComparison_ShakeTest.jpg

ClipComparison_ShakeTest-2.jpg

ClipComparison_ShakeTest-3.jpg

ClipComparison_ShakeTest-7.jpg

ClipComparison_ShakeTest-9.jpg

The Millit and the MXG really went head to head

ClipComparison_ShakeTest-8.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to note is that I didn't have enough Sebenzas, so the Hawk clip is on a Zaan.

ClipComparison_ZaanWeight.jpg

ClipComparison_SebWeight.jpg

The Seat-Belt Lift Test

One of the biggest scares we often see around here is a pic of a CRK that's been lifted from a pocket by a seat-belt, shirt hem, etc. We're always relieved if the knife is found, but sometimes it's not. I don't have a part of a seatbelt, which is a prime culprit in CRK-liftings, but I do have a laundry bag with very wide mesh that did boost a Benchmade 51 from my pocket in Afghanistan. I put some clothes in the bag to add weight, and started dragging it across the knives. The stock CRK clip was at a decided disadvantage here, catching and being lifted the easiest of all. The 3 aftermarket clips took turns getting caught and lifted as I changed their position and the pressure applied as I swept the mesh bag across the group. The Hawk clip even caught once. I felt it catch and resist, so I gave it a tug. Turned out the mesh hadn't gotten up under the metal well, so the Zaan went flying. So did the Siamese cat supervising from atop my shoulder!

ClipComparison_LipTest.jpg

ClipComparison_LipTest-2.jpg

ClipComparison_LipTest-3.jpg

ClipComparison_LipTest-4.jpg

ClipComparison_LipTest-5.jpg

The Scratch Test

One complaint I've heard about both CRK clips is that they'll scratch a car's paint more easily that others, so I decided to try to test. Most human butts are rounded, which tilts the knife so the top of the clip is away from contact with objects nearby. But what I found by clipping foil to a board and brushing against it was that it was easy to rip the foil with just a light brush against it with every clip. It didn't take much at all to scar the foil. I really couldn't tell any difference in the amount of pressure needed for each clip to do damage. So the verdict is that if you have a knife in your back pocket and need to squeeze between cars, take the knife out of your pocket. Otherwise the score will be;

Knife clip - 1
Car paint - 0

ClipComparison_FoilTest.jpg

Carry Height

The last thing I looked at was how high the knife rides in your pocket with each clip. The MXG is the clear winner there, in this pic even the knife's lanyard is hidden. Very good for when you don't want your CRK to say "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee!".

The Ripps was the next lowest rider, just a hair below the remaining 3. The 2 CRK clips and the Millit were about the same in this area.

ClipComparison_RideHeight.jpg

The underside of the clips, except for the MXG. There's no markings on the back of that one.

ClipComparison_Undersides.jpg

After all my testing was done, I decided the high retention of the Hawk clip with both fast and slow removals, plus the lack of any damage to the pants pocket when putting the knife in made in the best clip for my use. So back on the knives they went, with one exception. For times when I want to back pocket carry, but discreetly, the MXG got the call. It did the worst in the pickpocket resistance test, but with the knife not sticking up at all it's less likely someone will try for it. This is also one instance where the cheaper look of the MXG works in it's favor. Having tied for second place in the shake test is also good. Right now I have it on my Mammoth Bark, but may move it to my Annual later. I did hammer the lip down a bit flatter to lessen the chance that a seat-belt would relieve me of my knife.

The CRK clip is just a basic clip that is fine for most people, I'm just picky. IMO the Ripps and Millit are more for show, and there are some pretty ones. I'll admit I'm not a fan of any of the bright colored options, I think they clash with the knife. I do like the ones with an inlay that matches the inlay on the knife. The ones I like best have inlays that match the inlays on the knife. I've seen some with beautiful Mammoth inlays that looks great, but I'd be too afraid of the inlays breaking or popping out when the clip flexed to ever use them.

Hope you got some information useful to you out of this.

ClipComparison_TheEnd.jpg

With the recent popularity of aftermarket clips in addition g to both of CRK's current offerings, I decided to do some testing. In addition to both of CRK's, the stock clip and the G & G Hawk designed clip originally offered on the Ti-Lock, I got one each of what I'll call the 'Big 3', Millit, MXG, and Ripps Garage Tech. From left to right;

Millit - Stock CRK - MXG - Hawk - Ripps

View attachment 870888

The knives that got to play this weekend. Left to right, all larges

2002 Annual with Bocote inlays
Pre-Idaho 21, UG 'Grapevine' with Citrine cabachon
Pre-Idaho 21 with Mammoth Bark inlays
Old pivot Umnumzaan
Classic with African Blackwood inlays

View attachment 870889

The first thing I compared is ease of putting the knife in pocket, and the amount of wear this causes to the pocket rim. With the disclaimer that I'm used to it, the Hawk wins both of them for me. I realize that one takes a bit of getting used to. The others, in my ranking;

Stock
MXG
Ripps
Millit

I must note that the Millit was a distant last, it was hard on my hands. It and the Ripps are also very hard on pocket rims. The MXG would take second place on gentleness to pocket alone.

The Pickpocket Test

The next thing I tested was pull removal weight, using a fish scale. I did 3 pulls per clip, making sure the scale was zeroed before each pull. I recorded the highest weight shown on each pull. Note that each is in pounds and ounces. In order from heaviest to lightest;

Hawk - 3-8, 3-6, 3-5
Millit - 2-1, 2-6, 2-4
Ripps - 2-1, 2-2, 2-3
Stock - 1-11, 1-10, 1-9
MXG - 1-7, 1-8, 1-8

The Hawk clearly had the strongest resistance to being eased out of a pocket, with the MXG at the back of the pack.

View attachment 870899

The Shake Test

For the next test I put 2 at a time in a pants pocket, turned it upside-down and shook until one fell out. This test is designed to simulate the knife staying in place if you were to fall or get knocked down or off a bike, etc.

To prep for this, I taped the fronts and sides. These may be my carry knives, but they're still Sebenzas and an Umnumzaan.

View attachment 870908

Here's how I did the shake test. I cut the pockets from an old pair of my jeans, then put 2 knives at a time in the pocket. I then folded the pocket so the knives would stay fairly vertical while I was shaking them downward. I put a blanket on the counter to protect the knives when they fell, and I used only the pocket that didn't have any wear from carrying a knife.

I did at least 3 shake comparisons of each pair, and paired them all off against every other to get a ranking.The results of the shake test are;

As I expected, the Hawk clip was the clear winner. It took some serious shaking to get that one loose. The Ripps performed the worst, surprising me a bit. It let loose much easier than the slow pull results had me expecting. Another surprise was the MXG. With it's low pull weight, I expected it to do poorly in the shake test. Instead it ended second place. The Millit in 3rd was pretty much a dead heat with the MXG, it took 8 or 9 comparisons before I got one to drop before the other. 4th place went to the stock CRK clip.

View attachment 870911

View attachment 870912

View attachment 870913

View attachment 870918

View attachment 870919

The Millit and the MXG really went head to head

View attachment 870929

Awesome write up! Thank you for that.

I iust have to ask, the test where the list is stock, mxg, ripps, millit; is first ace easiet to remove or hardest to remove (best retention)

Edit; nm first test was ease of putting in pocket. Srry

Excellent LW! A very well executed look at how pocket clips can make all the difference in carry, depending on a variety of thoughtful factors.

FWIW I very much like the standard CRK clip. It's not perfect, but I think it fits well with the knife and have never had any carry issues with it.

Side note, I find it odd (though not an issue) that the large and small Sebenzas use the same size clip, despite the disparity in blade/body size.

Last edited:
Great info LW

I really like the look of the Millit and Rips clips so much more than the stock CRK

LW- Very interesting and informative, thanks!

One question: From a side profile perspective, how would they rank from closest to the frame to farthest? Even though I do like the Hawk clip, the tip always seemed to protrude a little further than I liked for catching and scratching.

One thing you can't really test for that I'll bring up is I've torn the heck out of neoprene seat covers with the hawk clip. When I get in my Jeep I sort of slide across the seat on my right side and that little nub on the top of the hawk clip catches the seat cover and tears it. Since my jeep isn't any taller than most 1/2 ton pick ups it may be an issue for some of the truck/SUV driving set.

This was a great post, thank you for doing this! I would have tried the falling out test over my soft mattress instead of a countertop just to reduce potential damage

.................... I put a blanket on the counter to protect the knives when they fell, and I used only the pocket that didn't have any wear from carrying a knife..........................

This was a great post, thank you for doing this! I would have tried the falling out test over my soft mattress instead of a countertop just to reduce potential damage

You rock L-W! :thumbsup:

Bummer that it looks like the Hawk clips are sold out. I was looking to pick one up after your review, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Thanks for the test. I would have bet cash that the Hawk clip would be the one most likely to keep your knife in your pocket. I have a TiLock and a Griplock which has the Hawk clip in a smaller size. The Griplock has smooth plastic scales and the clip works great on that knife as well.

Back