Review The Great Clip Comparison of 2018

The folded up blanket was over 2" thick.
Oh you must have nice blankets. Anyway, with the g&g clip, do you need to use the lever to get it out of your pocket or can you just pull it out like normal but it's a little harder?

I love to read comparison threads, and this one did not disappoint!
Thank you LW for going to all that work!

Thank you for taking the time to do these tests and to post your results. Terrific job.

My question is how much force is really needed in removing an EDC from a jeans pocket? The stock clip has worked fine for me in all scenarios although if I were being really active on a regular basis I'd probably carry something other than a CRK just due to the cost.

Thank you for taking the time to do these tests and to post your results. Terrific job.

My question is how much force is really needed in removing an EDC from a jeans pocket? The stock clip has worked fine for me in all scenarios although if I were being really active on a regular basis I'd probably carry something other than a CRK just due to the cost.

I think that's what's great about this review is it shows you don't need to carry something else, but get a Hawk clip if you need extra security. Hopefuly they will come back.

I think that's what's great about this review is it shows you don't need to carry something else, but get a Hawk clip if you need extra security. Hopefuly they will come back.

They will, they're just out again. I think the folks in CRK's shipping dept were taking my name in vain on Monday morning.

Great review. And thx for taking the time to link me to it in a thread I posted pics of my new MXG clips. I dont know how this posting got by me?

My first large seb. Came with a custom millit clip which I was not a fan of. It looks great, but its very unflexible and straight.

Thanks for taking the time to run through those tests.
Should be a sticky!

Last edited:
LW- Very interesting and informative, thanks!

One question: From a side profile perspective, how would they rank from closest to the frame to farthest? Even though I do like the Hawk clip, the tip always seemed to protrude a little further than I liked for catching and scratching.

There's an easy fix for that. Grab your Hawk clip is a pair of pliers like I've shown here. You may want to use a piece of cloth to protect the finish. Get a firm hold, then press the top of the clip down on the countertop of something hard.

BendHawkClip.jpg

Bend it just a little, that's all it takes. I did mine, as you can see, and now it protrudes even less than a stock clip. By just bending a little bit, I have no problems using the clip as it was meant to be used.

BendHawkClip-2.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Millit clips but they suck for putting in the pocket one handed. Give and take on everything i guess..

Very nice. I modify my CRK clip by bending it to my liking. Made a difference. Hard to beat now. It just eats pants a little.
downloadfile.jpg

Very comprehensive. Still enjoyed it the 2nd time through.
Not in the market now but if I am later, I know where to go to get the low down.
Thank you.

First of all, love the time and effort put into this very informative post. Now for my sad story.

I read this a few days ago after replacing the hawk clip on my Ti-lock with a stock sebenza clip. I had been running the sebbie clip on it for a while, but after reading this post, I was inspired to put the hawk clip back on there. Literally the next day (sporting my ti-lock of course) I was walking by a chain link fence and caught the clip on it. It bent it badly and put a hole in my brand new shirt:( Needless to say, I switched back to the sebbie clip for now... lol I still like the hawk clip's functionality, just have to be wary of things that can catch it.

Oh you must have nice blankets. Anyway, with the g&g clip, do you need to use the lever to get it out of your pocket or can you just pull it out like normal but it's a little harder?

Here's how I hold the knife as I pull from my pocket. The grip I have naturally puts the clip's lever under my first knuckle. I do clamp down some, not enough to completely lift the clip like I do when pocketing the knife but definitely lightens the clamp strength as I remove the knife. Causes almost no wear on my pocket at all.

CF25_ClipGrip.jpg

For my use I found this works best:
  • Ti-Lock Hawk clip for the Sebenza 25 just because it eliminates the hotspot caused by the standard CRK clip for this model
    • I have had issues with this clip getting caught on stuff
  • Standard clip for all other pocket carry
  • Millit clip or clip insert for safe queens or sheath carry
    • I love the look of Millits but I don’t think they work very well functionally as a clip
That’s just my experience.

i.ashx

Last edited:
I've always been impressed by the Mnandi clip. Despite being machined it's been easy to use one handed, it's extremely secure on both thick and thin fabric, it's so darn handsome it looks like a fancy pen clip, and it never seems to catch on anything. I have no idea why none of the machined clip makers have copied that stepped underside design.

A bit of follow-up, this is a pair of my jeans that's well past the freshness date. Long since relegated to in-house wear only. But what you can see is minimal wear on the lip of the pocket itself, while the middle part is completely worn away by the knife. This is with almost exclusive use of the Hawk clip, 2 or 3 days with the MXG being the only exception.

ClipComparison_PocketWear.jpg

My personal preferences go to the hawk eye and to the standard CRK clip
IMHO the standard clip offers more than enough retention and the hawk eye offers the advantages of a lower carry and improved retention

Back