1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by phantomknives, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Wowwwww, that's awesome.

2. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Think if we ask real nice we can get an infomercial that includes the words slices and dices?

Fmont, Yankee Josh, A17 and 2 others like this.
  3. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fmont, garry3, Yankee Josh and 4 others like this.
  4. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    I'm serious. Not about the slices and dices. I want to see this beast in action! It is impressive!!!

5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    BB14C73F-03CE-4974-9290-D68FC1E00D31.jpeg
    I think that’s a frozen food knife. Here is Case’s version.

6. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I keep an old rubber abrasive polishing wheel in the chuck of mine.

[​IMG]

Mine has 3 speeds. The slotted tracks allow it to move in front of either of the 3 sheaves.

[​IMG]

Sometimes it's nice to have a grinder without a motor in the way.

8. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I put a "new" handle in my T.H. Witherby chisel last evening. I attempted to also put one in a craftsman as well but that didn't turn out as planned. Neither did the Witherby for that matter. Didn't seat it as far as I hoped but I doubt it'll ever come loose it's in there so hard. First time I've ever handled a chisel. [​IMG]
    And the craftsman with its handle. [​IMG]
    As you can see one will work the other one not so much! It just snapped right off as o attempted to drive it home.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's definitely a high quality chisel. Took a nice keen edge! I feel this belonged here even though I technically did "hang it today". Have a great night fellow tool hounds!

9. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    that's literally a small peg and raker saw

10. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Maple branches to cheese cakes- they both shudder at the sight of that!

11. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    @Yankee Josh, why'd you leave the mushrooming on on the chisels? I tend to file/grind/cutoff the mushrooming on mine before hanging them so I'm curious why you didn't.

12. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I really like your set up.
    I am looking now for an older 1725rpm motor to mount a similar set up, wire wheel and polisher...i do not at the moment have a beautiful 3 spd pulley to join the team when ready. That is gold!

I do have a great old motor i could use (1950's) but that will break it away from the whetstone i have. Though the stone itself is past its prime.

Great concept with the chuck to quick interchange and extend. And your adjustable track mounting...well thought out. Thanks for sharing that picture :thumbsup:

13. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thats right...now i I remeber why i came to this thread....before i got captivated and distracted by someones grinder pulley setup lol!

I found this litte fella the other day...love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Today I made a mock up for an upcoming project. It's a tenon & mortise joint for a knee brace. I'll be building a new patio roof in a couple weeks and I wanted to practice this before I risked damaging good lumber. This went pretty well but this old crap lumber I had laying around gave me some trouble because it's not square or dimensionally correct.
    [​IMG]

Here's the tenon. It's a piece of old weathered poplar. It carves pretty nice but the piece isn't square.
    [​IMG]

I started the mortise pocket in a scrap of 4x12 Doug Fir. I hogged out a bunch of material with a 1-1/4" spade bit and a cordless drill. I'm not being a slave to hand tools on this project. I go back and forth between hand and power tools based on what I feel like doing.
    [​IMG]

Some nice mortising chisels and a small slick. The crude little mallet is made from a piece of London Plane, chosen for its toughness. I have a bunch of fast & dirty mallets/mauls around.
    [​IMG]

Here the mortise pocket is taking shape. The lines drawn across the pocket labeled 45 & 90 were to help me place my drill. The double line in the middle had 90° and 45° bore holes starting right next to each other and immediately crossing each other. I drilled tiny pilot holes for each that I could follow after my spade bit bore for the first hole wiped out my layout for the second. I used my DeWalt cordless leaf blower to clean out the pocket as I worked. That worked great!
    [​IMG]

Here's the finished mortise pocket.
    [​IMG]

Next I'm making some pegs for my joints. I'm using some black locust that I've air dried for 3 years. Black locust is a great choice for pegs because it's hard, gritty (grippy) and highly rot resistant. It was the preferred peg material for colonial timber framers. I have an 8" long piece of a 7-1/2" round. I'm slabbing it with a froe. The maul on the stump is an piece of Doug Fir. It's not a very good maul. I carved it green 5 years ago for a single use project. But it hasn't died yet so I still use it.
    [​IMG]

I split the slab into peg blanks. I got a dozen blanks out of this round. I need 8 for my project plus one for this mock up.
    [​IMG]

I roughed out the peg with a Pexto drawknife. I use my drawknife bevel side down, super sharp and pull it skewed to slice rather than split. I've found I'm best able to manage grain changes this way. I finished the peg by draw filing with the smooth side of a farriers rasp. This cleaned them up real fast. Later I bought material at the hardware store to make a peg jig. I'll see how that goes. I may come back to this method.
    [​IMG]

One last shot of my mock up.
    [​IMG]

quinton, Agent_H, A17 and 7 others like this.
  15. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I love it man! Thanks for the comprehensive write up. The post vise and draw knife, I salute you!

A17, Trailsawyer, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  16. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
  17. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Both great, and whats the weight stamp on the C/R mallet? Chicago Rawhide. Excellent mallets

Yankee Josh and Meek1 like this.
  18. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    C/R 4

Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  19. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I like my No2
    But a few larger would be nice too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Ha, I had no idea they were different weights. I just know this one is much cleaner than the one I had prior to today.

Miller '72 and ithinkverydeeply like this.