1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by phantomknives, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

2. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

3. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    [​IMG]

Well I think I broke the picture uploader now.

Fmont and A17 like this.
  4. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    And by the way Miller. You may have just started yet a other quest/obsession/collection for me. Now I'm going to need different sizes. Thank you.

5. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Glad i could help:D

We tend to "inspire" and or "motivate" each other from time to time here :cool:;):thumbsup:

6. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    well thank you for your support!

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I didn't have much time after work today. But enough to uncover an old Simonds etch on that 5' falling saw. It has info etched into it regarding raker depth and cutter set. It's pretty cool! Does that help date it? Definitely older that a lot of the ones I see. [​IMG]
    Crescent ground. Regarding set and raker depth it says "requires very little set and hardly any in frozen timber. rakers one thirty second lower than the cutting teeth for soft wood and one sixty fourth for hard wood" no 325.
    Says a lot more too.[​IMG]
    And here's a couple axes; KATCO and a Snow and Neally. Both with overlaid bits. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's no makers mark on this one but it's an oldie; [​IMG]
    I cleaned these two items up as well. The one "thing" with teeth was handmade and I have bo idea what purpose it served. Any of you recognize what it could be?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Most everything else, while pretty cool, isn't really post worthy in my opinion. Have a great holiday everyone!

8. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    The toothy thing is probably a stone dressing chisel, if I had to guess.

9. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I was going to say a leather stitching perforation chisel thing, but I have no idea. Awesome finds, man

10. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    In the leather realm one guess might not be a “pricking iron” but instead it’s a pinking iron.
    [​IMG]
    But I don’t know. The handle looks to come to a bit of a fine point. A little rough maybe, was it blacksmith made?

crbnSteeladdict, A17, Meek1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I figured you would know, lol. I imagine it had some sort of handle whatever it is.

12. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm betting an ice pick/shave. Used to have a wood handle on that tang.

Fmont, Yankee Josh, Meek1 and 2 others like this.
  13. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    This suspect that you are right on both counts.
    Maybe a saw tooth ice shaver or chisel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fmont, Yankee Josh, Meek1 and 2 others like this.
  14. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    3C627E62-0DD5-4747-8C94-DE7D004C5D8F.jpeg If you need to lay out some evenly spaced holes with your auto center punch, this will work. The Aluminum punch has a retractable sleeve that lets it be used like a transfer punch on countersunk holes. Think hinges.

Trailsawyer, Yankee Josh, A17 and 5 others like this.
  15. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Those remind me of the automatic center punches marketed by General Tools here in the States. The aluminum one (model #77) has a light spring and is great for wood. The steel one (model #78) has a heavy spring and is better for marking steel.

That's cool how that second punch is added to it.

The retractable sleeve on your aluminum punch reminds me of a Vix-Bit - made for drilling centered holes for door hinges and the like.

Fmont, Meek1, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  16. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    45714F34-5EA6-40E1-B172-04D3304BDE80.jpeg The thing that looks like a second punch is just a pivot. All the punching is done with the axial tip. The sleeve on the Aluminum punch holds a punch instead of a drill bit. So you mark the hole and then drill it. You can even mark the hole for door closer bracket screws.

17. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Greenlee 9/16"
    T Handled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    That's so cool!

ithinkverydeeply and Miller '72 like this.
  19. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    That has me drooling

20. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Hey Miller,

They come in Cast Iron too?!?!? Shame this one was blown out so bad. Sure is neat.

[​IMG]

crbnSteeladdict, Fmont and Square_peg like this.