Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

When I was about 8 years old I was at my grandparents house for the day and grandpa Clyde took me out to his small shop where he did some wood work periodically. On that day he showed me how to make a wood handle on a lathe and how to make and fit a copper ferrule around the neck of that handle to keep it from splitting when I put the tang of a file into it. Now 60 years later I learn there are files with built in handles. Of all the auctions, garage sales and antique shops I have visited in the last three score years I now find myself chuckling again in amazement because of something new to me has been brought from the shadows into the light via the Blade Forum. Thank you Meek1!

When I was about 8 years old I was at my grandparents house for the day and grandpa Clyde took me out to his small shop where he did some wood work periodically. On that day he showed me how to make a wood handle on a lathe and how to make and fit a copper ferrule around the neck of that handle to keep it from splitting when I put the tang of a file into it. Now 60 years later I learn there are files with built in handles. Of all the auctions, garage sales and antique shops I have visited in the last three score years I now find myself chuckling again in amazement because of something new to me has been brought from the shadows into the light via the Blade Forum. Thank you Meek1!
That was pretty much my sentiment as well. And they have 2 different cutting patterns. I don't know how old they are. But they sure are going to be "handy".

1953 catalog snip:

0myAdwW.jpg

Bob

On amazon:

Nicholson 08922N FILE,8",FARMERS OWN,CDD,203mm
by Nicholson
1 customer review

List Price: $13.48
Price: $7.43 Amazon Prime & FREE Returns
You Save: $6.05 (45%)

• American Pattern Farmer'S Own File
  • General Purpose File Suited for Agricultural Use
  • Rectangular Shape, Single Cut, Safe Edges
  • Length Measured Exclusive of Handle
  • Convenient Hang Up Hole

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicholson 06601N 8" Handy File
by Apex Tool Group

Price: $56.79 & FREE Shipping

• One side is single cut for tool sharpening and smoothing metal surfaces
  • Reverse side is double cut for general filing and rapid stock removal
  • Rectangular shape, one cut edge, one safe edge
edit: price for Handy File above is for six units.

Bob

Last edited:
I made my mad dash to a neighboring town and picked up the Nicholson handy farmer's file and the inventory on the peg reflected what the store said they had on their website when I did a search for it. $7.97 in store plus the governors percentage sales tax and that makes it $3.32 less than the big river sales site. The packaging informs us that it that the file was made in Mexico. Of course, this means I need to get to work.

Crescent tool company pliers from Jamestown, NY

Evans Rule with a little steel slide out. Not the most exciting take, but pretty neat.
Folding rulers are the cats meow! My father had a hunting buddy that got shot up pretty bad during WWII and the only time I saw him without a folding ruler was when we went pheasant, duck or goose hunting ... then he carried a Browning A-5 12 gauge and sometimes his dog if old Spot got too tired to hunt anymore that day. When George got healed up he earned a living building cabinets and doing remodeling jobs around town and occasionally build a house. I used to hang around with him sometimes when he was working nearby. He never said much, but, by watching you could learn a lot from him. He could also lay brick and block and do flat work in concrete.

Can anyone tell me if the MP stamp is significant? Or maybe just initials?

It looks like the same stamp. I know they were issued as part of the tool kit for jeeps. But I do not know how old it is or if the MP is relevant.

So I excitedly grabbed what I assumed was a D42 because it appeared to have steel hardware. But it is a D-15. Which is still cool because it is still a Victory. I know zilch about these. And I got very confused trying to make sense of the web. Any takers on dating this?

Since having the handled file so kindly pointed out to me I now discover that the good folks at Nicholson have a file that is being promoted as an "axe file", Nicholson 06706N Axe File, 8 inch. It lists the following features: American pattern axe sharpening file, ideal for sharpening axes and miscellaneous garden tools, rectangular shape, double-cut on one side, single cut on opposite, 2 safe edges. It, too, has the built-in handle.

Last edited:
Just hope use of the files with the "built-in" handles for sharpening axes, etc. doesn't get a post in "The axe-ident thread" .:eek:

I'd want something between the edge being filed and my hand. IIRC some people have posted here about making guards for files used when sharpening axes. Here is one member's recommendation:

8AEB4Qe.jpg

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/htmlpubs/htm99232823/page03.htm

"Safety Sally" eh?;)

Bob

As I recall the first project we had in our shop class once we hit 7th grade was a drill sharpening gauge. I still have the one I made as well as the outside caliper that became the next project. It is my intent to make an axe sharpening gauge with a number of angles on it on a circular piece of brass with a lanyard hole with hopes that I don't lose it. I will need the guard on the files, too. Thankfully, over the years I have been very deliberate when doing things, especially around sharp objects and shootin' irons. So far the only axe-ident I have had with an axe/hatchet is on an Estwing 24A hatchet that has a small dent in the sharp edge. The edge is displaced, guessing now maybe 0.050" and about the diameter of a BB, no torn metal thankfully! I have been debating what to do about it. It is small and doesn't really seem to affect it's ability to cut wood, but, it is there and I know it is there! I think I am going to take my 2 ounce ball peen hammer and see if I can peen it back in line with the edge without making things worse.

Last edited:
Back