Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Made myself an O1 sewing awl.

47576565_10217332487972637_4883137477772050432_n.jpg

47572601_10217332488532651_8456243169292451840_n.jpg

It's just for following up on pre-punched holes from a diamond chisel, but I had a nice big chunk of scrap hickory kicking around and I figured I might as well make it as sturdy as possible if I was gonna' bother making the thing at all. :p

Yesterday I found this stanley #80 all original including the iron. It works beautifully. The the “made in USA” saw set. I like the pistol grip style ones best so if I see them I get them.

On Black Friday my local wood craft store had a 10 % off your whole purchase sale. So I got this saw rasp and some carving chisels. This saw rasp is one of my new favorite tools. For handle it is amazing. And shaping wood in general. It will wok on soft metals too I do wish one side had a half round but hey it still works super good!!!

I like the slip handles because they're easy to disassemble for packing. I'll sometimes head out with just the steel and cut a tapered handle to fit when I get to my site.

Those are easy to file and re-sharpen. Look closely to keep both cutting edges at the same angle. Test your newly filed edge by drilling a small block of clean medium soft wood. If one edge is pulling a larger shaving then file that edge down until both edges cut the same. It's fast and easy. And they cut like a dream when sharp.

The odd shaped one looks like a bung cutter.

"Tools of the Trades" is a permanent exhibition of more than 600 tools used by the trades common to Wilton and neighboring towns in Connecticut in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Donated by Walter R.T. Smith, a master builder, the tools were drawn from his more than 4,000-piece collection.

Video produced for the Wilton Historical Society by Paul Lin Media LLC © 2012

Bob

Back