The HDFK prepares dinner

91bravo

Gold Member
Used the HDFK to prep for dinner tonight. It's not the best slicer, but worked just fine. This knife is more at home in the woods!

Onions were no match!
xVZsCQ5.jpg

Smashed garlic very well. You have to smash garlic and let it sit so the alliian and allianase can combine to produce alliicin.
rvboS7a.jpg

Everything chopped and minced
RDsNl4O.jpg

Brown 1.5lbs ground chuck
O3O5Rxc.jpg

Drained the grease and stir fried everything in
TJUQifa.jpg

Pour in your favorite spaghetti sauce. I added some spices and bay leaves.
o9zp4kY.jpg

MIK320l.jpg

Simmer for 30 minutes
sDZmU1q.jpg

And the HDFK all cleaned up and it helped produce a mighty fine dinner tonight! I noticed a few spots of patina forming already, so looks like I'll have to keep this blade wiped down with an oily rag.
LSKgHpi.jpg

Thanks yall, it was delicious and the kids were fighting over making their plates first! lol I usually keep a rag with mineral oil on it and I'll wipe down the blade after I clean it under hot water. It's worked good so far! I have heard of people rubbing chapstick on their blades though!

Chapstick? Never heard that before. I've just been using food grade mineral oil.

Usually I have a stick that gets melted in the car then I put that one aside. Just rub a tiny bit in with my finger. Works a treat. I consider it food safe since I’ve put it on my lips a million times anyways. Generally I work outside for long periods and can get chapped or burnt. So I always have some around.

I wonder if Carmex would work. I'll carry some during the winter when my lips get chapped. Chapstick feels like I'm rubbing a candle on my lips!

I'll have to check some of that stuff out. I love my Sno Seal, but never thought to use it as a blade lube. I wouldn't wanna use that Obenauf's when my lips are chapped though...:D
I’ll have to see how it does on chapped lips.
It’s beeswax and some sort of tree resin so it can’t be too horrible.

Usually I have a stick that gets melted in the car then I put that one aside. Just rub a tiny bit in with my finger. Works a treat. I consider it food safe since I’ve put it on my lips a million times anyways. Generally I work outside for long periods and can get chapped or burnt. So I always have some around.

Cool, makes sense! I'll give it a try. Maybe my HDFK will like Burts Bees :D

Chapstick feels like I'm rubbing a candle on my lips!

I can't take the feel or smell of the original chapstick. But the 'medicated' version works great for me (not sure why it is billed as medicated???) Much less waxy, and doesn't have that smell to it that the original does. I either use it or the Carmex like you showed, but in tube form. The medicated chapstick is a little less 'heavy' yet than the Carmex even.

Back