The HI Cantina Cookbook

I just noticed I never posted my chicken stir fry... I perfected that a LONG time ago... here it is:

Uh... I can't find the recipe, so this is from the top of my head:

Ingredients:

four chicken breasts
minced garlic
2 small boxes of sliced mushrooms
1 bag of frozen peppers/onions (stir fry)
1 bag of sweet pea stir fry veggies
Sliced jalapenos
Terriaki sauce
Soy sauce (less salt version is healthier)
Franks' Hot sauce

Coat large pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil some Terriaky and Soy sauce (few glugs each) and heat with minced garlic
Cut up chicken breasts into 1x1" (or so) chunks and throw in pan
Put in mushrooms, jalapenos (about 2 Tbl spoons)
Stir up, cooking for about 5-10 minutes, adding Frank's to taste (some healthy shakes)

Once chicken is cooked, put in a mixing bowl and cover

Put frozen veggies into same pan... cover and let them cook up until hot, but not totally wilted

Add back contents of mixing bowl and let simmer until water from veggies has rendered down... adding Terriaky/Soy/Frances as needed...

Serve over brown rice (or any rice you like).

Serves about five people or so... tasty :D

Alan

BTW, Nova, what you need is a crock pot. Chili, soup, stew, barbecue, anything you want...just throw it all in and turn it on. The only hard part is the waiting.

Oooh, Nova-proof cooking. I may have to do this, as you're the second person this week who's told me I need a crock pot. As for the waiting, I'm good at that (as long as I don't have to wait next to the stove). It's the "paying attention" that I'm not so good at. :D

It's awesome that this became stickified. I'm a terrible cook myself, but I'll see if I can convince my dad to give up his chili recipe for the greater good of the HI community.

Reason number 36,378 why I love the Cantina: this thread.

Can't wait to try a few of these out.

A long shot, but here goes:

Any recipes for Choyella (a coo, spicy chicken salad) or Sukhuti (mutton jerky sir fry)? I was a regular at a tiny Nepalese restaurant outside of Tokyo and these were my favorites. If I don't find help soon...I'm just going to start experimenting until I get it right or poison myself trying!

Colosimo's Chicken Vesuvio

Preheat oven to 425˚.

Cut 3 large russet potatoes lengthwise into 6 wedges.

Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add the potato wedges and saute until golden brown, then remove and put aside.

Quarter a 3.5 to 4 pound roasting chicken. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

Add the chicken to the pot and brown until golden on all sides. Add 6 large whole garlic cloves (or 6 minced garlic cloves if you really like garlic) and continue to saute for 2 to 4 minutes, until the garlic starts to turn golden. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels.

Return potatoes and chicken to the pot and add 1/4 cup dry white wine, and continue cooking for several minutes. The wine will whoosh up in a cloud of steam, "like Mt. Vesuvius." It will bring up all the bits of potato and chicken that are stuck to the pot and make gravy. Cover the pot tightly and put it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the pot, add one cup of defrosted frozen peas, and bake for 5 minutes more. Arrange potatoes and peas around the chicken on a serving platter, pour remaining gravy over the chicken and serve.

Here it is:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/prouditaliancook/ckvesuvioinpanwithhandle.jpg

This isn't fine Italian cooking. Marcella Hazan would turn up her nose at this simple Italian-American dish. When you ask old guys in the restaurant business, some claim they invented it themselves, but most agree it was originated here in Chicago at Colosimo's.

Giacomo "Big Jim" Colosimo came to Chicago in 1895, a likely lad of 18. He had been a pickpocket, pimp and protection extortionist in Calabria, and he wanted to better himself in the New World. He got a room on Taylor Street and a street sweeping job with the city. His quick fists and quick wits soon made him a foreman, and brought him to the attention of 1st Ward Alderman "Bathhouse John" Coughlin, who made him a precinct captain and bagman.

While collecting the alderman's payoffs, Big Jim met Victoria Moresco. Victoria was a successful madam; she was looking for a cute young guy with enough muscle to keep order in her brothel, and a little brains to go with the brawn. They married in 1902, immediately opened a second brothel, and then quickly added two more. With the help of friends and relations in New York, Milwaukee and Italy, they organized a "white slavery" ring. This racket, in which poor immigrant girls are lured with phony job offers and then beaten, raped and terrorized into brothel work, is still very much alive in Chicago and elsewhere. Big Jim was a natural genius at pimping and white slavery. By 1909 he and Vicky owned two hundred brothels, and they needed some serious firepower.

Black Hand extortionists and other hoodlums were bombing his classier joints. Big Jim had muscle on his payroll, but he needed a major league player, someone who could terrorize the local gangsters the way he terrorized the girls in his houses. He sent for Vicky's nephew Johnny Torrio in New York. Johnny had been personally trained by Paul Kelly (Paolo Vaccarelli) in New York's Five Points gang. He massacred the Black Hand in the Archer Avenue viaduct under the Rock Island Railroad tracks. (Never meet anyone in a viaduct!) Other gangsters who tried to bleed Big Jim turned up floating or simply disappeared.

Like many pimps before and since, Big Jim secretly dreamed of being a celebrity. As a successful restauranteur, he could rub shoulders with the rich and famous; it would be his entree to High Society. In 1910, with Johnny Torrio guarding his back, he opened Colosimo's Restaurant & Cafe at 2126-2128 South Wabash.

And guess what? Big Jim was even better as a restaurant and nightclub owner than he was as a pimp!

Colosimo's soon acquired an international reputation, it was the place to go in Chicago. Big Jim loved opera and had a fine singing voice. The Great Caruso was his friend and his guest, and so was Tetrazzini, Galli-Curci, and John McCormack. Flo Ziegfeld and George M. Cohan, Al Jolson and Gentleman Jim Corbett. The Palmers and the Fields, the Barrymores and Clarence Darrow. The politicians and the gangsters! But only the classy ones, the ones who could keep up a front. In 1915, Big Jim turned over day-to-day brothel management to Johnny Torrio. The brothels made money like never before, and Big Jim opened a second Colosimo's in Burnham.

Prohibition began January 1, 1920, and the partners in crime had different ideas about the future of their business. Johnny Torrio and his new-hired enforcer Al Capone wanted to focus on big-time bootlegging. Big Jim was happy with his brothels and Colosimo's. He'd just divorced Victoria and he was about to marry Dale Winter, the 19 year-old singer with the Cafe's house band. Dale was a real cutie.

Johnny Torrio had made Big Jim too rich. He didn't want a bootleg turf war, he just wanted to enjoy what he had.

Johnny needed an outsider to solve his problem, someone with a face nobody knew in Chicago. He called his ex-partner in New York, Frankie Yale (Francesco Ioele). Frankie was the man who trained Al Capone and a stone killer. On May 11, 1920, a week to the day after the wedding, Johnny called Big Jim and asked him to open Colosimo's early and sign for a bootleg delivery. Jim's Pierce-Arrow limo took him to the kitchen entrance. He walked through the dining room to his office, where his secretary and the chef told him that one of the trucks was already waiting in front. As he walked through the dark foyer to unlock the restaurant's front door, Frankie Yale stepped out of the cloakroom behind him and put two slugs in the back of his head.

I've attached some souvenir postcards. On the left is the Cafe entrance at 2128 South Wabash; next the Cafe, or nightclub; next the restaurant; and last, a private dining room. Isn't that great? Wouldn't you like to go there for some Chicken Vesuvio? I could go for it right now!

Attachments

• colosimos.jpg
    colosimos.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 22
  • cafe.jpg
    cafe.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 18
  • restaurant.jpg
    restaurant.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
  • private.jpg
    private.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
1/3 cup peanut oil

5 lbs. beef, cut into 1" or so cubes

1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup garlic
2 tsp. cumin seed
whole peppercorns
hot or med. pepper flakes
oregano
whole coriander seeds
salt
black pepper

1/2 cup flour

red wine vinegar
4 cups beef broth/bouillon

Heat oil at medium, brown beef, toss in spices and garlic while the beef is getting seared.
After beef is browned, add flour and stir to make a roux.
Slowly stir in the liquids (vinegar first) and simmer until flavors are infused (hour or more - the longer the better).

I've left the pepper flakes, oregano, peppercorns, coriander seeds, salt, black pepper and vinegar imprecise on purpose. It's a smell/taste thing. Make it as bold as you like it.
I tend to add salt toward the end, and use very little, since the bouillon contains salt.

Serve with rice and a tasty malted hops beverage. This is full-on comfort food.

Last edited:
Honey Cured Pork Roast

18 juniper berries
6 allspice berries
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
salt

3 1/2 lb. pork loin

honey
olive oil

Grind/blend spices into a coarse powder. Rub pat-dried loin w/ honey, crust w/ spices. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

450 oven. Put the loin on a rack in a pan, brushed w/ olive oil & salt. 10 minutes at 450, then turn down to 350, cook for 40 minutes. Brush with 1 T honey and roast for 10 minutes longer.
Let it rest out of oven for 15 minutes before slicing.

The Famous Roast Potatoes
(These are the simplest things to make, but for some reason everyone always loves them. They go well with the pork roast, and since you're already using the oven...)

Wash red potatoes, and remove the eyes and any flaws (about a pound per person). Cut the potatoes into nice size chunks. Lightly coat each piece in peanut oil. Put the potatoes on a cookie sheet or a baking pan. Sprinkle liberally with dried Italian parsley and garlic salt. Bake in the oven with the Honey Cured Pork Roast until they brown - about 40 minutes or so.

Serve the roast and the taters together with some kinda fresh salady thing. With a light and tangy dressing. And wine - a dryish German white would be good.

You will appear to be pro.

Last edited:
Perfect Margarita

1 1/4 oz. Tres Generaciones tequila
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
1/2 oz. Cointreau
1 oz. simple syrup
2 oz. sweet & sour
1 oz. lime juice

Build over ice, mix in shaker w/strainer, garnish w/lime & olive in martini glass w/ salted rim.

Piso Mojado Sangria

Two 750 ML bottles of Spanish red wine
5 pounds of juice oranges
2 limes
Sugar

Juice the fruit, it should yield 20-25 oz. Add the wine. Add a quarter cup sugar and taste. That's enough sugar for me, YMMV. I mix everything in a 2 gallon plastic storage jar from the dollar store.

Get some 60 oz. plastic water pitchers; fill them half full with ice cubes and full full with sangria. Invite your friends over and have a party. Don't drink it all yourself. You'll be on the piso, and the piso wil be mojado. Do you know what you'll look like then?

Attachments

• piso.jpg
    piso.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 23
As the title says, "Not a recipe, but a good tip for ice cream lovers who can't afford the calories."

With all my health issues watching my weight is one of our humongous issues. According to some of my doctors my diet would consist of, - - - - - "If it tastes good, Spit it out!!!!" :eek: :grumpy: ;)

Consequently we're always looking for things that taste good with fewer calories, the tip?

Simply freeze "Cool Whip" and put it on fresh berries or other low calorie fruit. It's a quite a little bit harder than soft ice cream but has a very similar texture and mouth feel and has a helluva lot less calories!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Enjoy!:thumbup:

Yvsa,
This is a great idea. My lovely bride tried this a few years ago and rarely eats real ice cream anymore.

Great story, Piso.

Golden Hominy Chili

persian18038wt0.jpg

This came out really good. I just took a package of hamburger meat, browned it with garlic, onion, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. I added a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chilies, a 8-oz can of Hunts tomato sauce.... and a can of Bush's Golden Hominy.

It came out like chili, kinda, but with hominy instead of beans. The hominy took on the hamburger taste nicely.

Hominy is a neat staple Americans don't use much. A couple years ago Yvsa gave us a recipe for a chicken-onion-hominy soup :thumbup: that really rocks. My wife actually asked for it when she was going through chemo. So the hominy was in the house... and came to the rescue, since there wasn't a can of beans in the pantry like I thought. :p

Mike

I can vouch for the hominy chili. VERY good, if you like hominy. If you're not sure, or have never tried it, this is a good intro.

Ad Astra or Yvsa,
Do you have the chicken onion hominy soup recipe handy? I love making posole, which sounds like it may be similar but Yvsa may have some thing different.

I've only invented one food that tastes good, but everyone seems to love it. And I've never heard of anyone making something like this before, even though it seems like a natural combination.

Basically, you make an egg in a basket, and turn it into a grilled cheese sandwich. Easiest way is to toast the egg in a basket and another slice of bread with cheese on top simultaneously. After flipping over the egg-bread, flip the cheese-bread on top of it. The egg will be cooked and the cheese perfectly melted at exactly the same time.

The trick to making it taste good is use real butter. That's the trick to making anything taste good. :p

Instructions for anyone not familiar with egg in a basket and/or the grilled cheese sammich:

Ingredients:
2 slices of bread
butter
salt
1 egg
sliced cheese of your choice, about 3/16" or 5mm thick, enough to cover one slice of bread

1: Cut a hole in one of the pieces of bread large enough to accomodate the egg you're going to use, so that the egg completely fills it and is level with the top of the bread. 2.5" to 3" should do it for a large egg.

2: Butter both sides of both pieces of bread (some people prefer to butter before cutting the hole).

3: Put both pieces of bread in a skillet.

4: Crack an egg into the piece of bread with a hole in it, and put the cheese on the other one. You may want to melt a little butter underneath where the egg will go.

5: Cook over medium heat until the bread is toasted and the egg is halfway cooked.

6: Flip over the egg bread, then put the cheese bread on top of it, cheese side down.

7: Cook until the egg bread is toasted on that side, and the egg is cooked how you want it (experiment with the heat to get the bread and egg to both be done to your preference at the same time).

8: Salt the egg portion to taste.

9: Eat!

I've only invented one food that tastes good, but everyone seems to love it. And I've never heard of anyone making something like this before, even though it seems like a natural combination.

With gruyère cheese and a slice of boiled ham or chicken breast, you would have what the French call a croque-madame.

Croque_Madame_1.jpg

The croque-madame is a dinner version of the ubiquitous French junk food, the croque-monsieur. There is a Wikipedia article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur

The trick to making it taste good is use real butter. That's the trick to making anything taste good.

The French would agree. Half way through my first croque, I realized that I had just made contact with a higher civilization.

Great story, Piso.

Golden Hominy Chili

persian18038wt0.jpg

This came out really good. I just took a package of hamburger meat, browned it with garlic, onion, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. I added a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chilies, a 8-oz can of Hunts tomato sauce.... and a can of Bush's Golden Hominy.

It came out like chili, kinda, but with hominy instead of beans. The hominy took on the hamburger taste nicely.

Hominy is a neat staple Americans don't use much. A couple years ago Yvsa gave us a recipe for a chicken-onion-hominy soup :thumbup: that really rocks. My wife actually asked for it when she was going through chemo. So the hominy was in the house... and came to the rescue, since there wasn't a can of beans in the pantry like I thought. :p

Mike

I tried the homeny chili today cause I was looking for somthing simple and easy too cook and I gotta say it's probably one of the best things I've tasted in awhile. I've been living off mainly canned food and TV dinners for the last 3 months so it was nice to have somthing homemade that only took about 20 mins to make. I did add a little chili powder and some fresh Jalapenos to give it a slight kick. Great recipe :thumbup:!

Back