THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

And thanks for posting about your knife and batoning. It shows character for a maker to admit what you have and even more to say you will address the issue.

Totally agree with craytab! Mark, thanks for your honesty and report. I have no doubt that you will find a way to improve the design. :thumbsup:

Thanks to Imgur, I thought I'd post another photo of my CRK Mountaineer. This is my first photo post since the Photobucket hostage situation broke out a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

4Pgmjql.jpg

Nice knife, Tom. Can't go wrong with a Reeve.

Don't know if he's a member here or not, but Rick Stowe recently completed this video review after about 6 months of hands on and field testing of a S.A.F.E. System knife. Wanted to put it here for those that may enjoy it. Mr. Stowe is over 11 years old, so feel free to give your thoughts Mark Knapp Mark Knapp .

I think Rick did a great job explaining the concept of the knife as I envisioned it, and also used it extensively. I gave him minimal input, as an actual knife user he realized and implemented the idea/philosophy behind the knife, that being that it is geared toward actual use and made to cut. I hope you enjoy it, and big thanks to Rick for his honest appraisal and putting the time in to do such a great job.

Ps: Beware, batonning ahead. Gasp!

Sam Wilson :thumbsup:

Amazing thread... just getting in to collecting HH knives... can hardly wait to pick up many of the examples I have seen in these pages.

Don't know if he's a member here or not, but Rick Stowe recently completed this video review after about 6 months of hands on and field testing of a S.A.F.E. System knife. Wanted to put it here for those that may enjoy it. Mr. Stowe is over 11 years old, so feel free to give your thoughts Mark Knapp Mark Knapp .

I think Rick did a great job explaining the concept of the knife as I envisioned it, and also used it extensively. I gave him minimal input, as an actual knife user he realized and implemented the idea/philosophy behind the knife, that being that it is geared toward actual use and made to cut. I hope you enjoy it, and big thanks to Rick for his honest appraisal and putting the time in to do such a great job.

Now that's a review. It did Sam's knife justice. It showed what the knife was intended to do and didn't try to make it something it is not. A prime example of the ideal review video. Other testers/reviewers should watch this one.

Great knife, great video.

Great to see you posting again, Sam. It's been too long! Really enjoyed the video and seeing the SAFE knife in action.

This knife needs to be be retired and hung on a wall. It had been used extensively when we received it for several months of testing. At around 3/16" and a dreaded HH, I cannot say enough good things about the strength of the design. We beat this thing through every log we could find, made a spear for fun, and about anything else you can think of to evaluate integrity within reason.

We passed it on to Rick who is not well known for pulling punches on blades. While we are HH fans and have used about all of them out there at some point, Rick was a bit skeptical. I was pleased to hear nothing but good things about the knife.
Interestingly enough, folks are impressed with the knives (I had my son's M8 and Rick had the SAFE at a recent event) but even more impressed with the attention to detail on the sheath work, accessories, and the overall organization.

If you want a knife system that is pure function and not a novelty gimmick, I would highly recommend Sam Wilson Sam Wilson 's work.

Last edited:
Here's something that we are pretty excited about, it's brand new. The folks at Readyman are making these survival cards for us that fit into the survival compartments of our 1911 Combat Survivor.
DSCF2003-XL.jpg

So now, with the other stuff that goes into the compartment, the Leatherman Micra, the diamond hone, the needles, fishhooks, synthetic sinew, ferric magnesium fire starter and LED light, with the card you get spinner blades (snare locks), more fish hooks, frog/fish gigs, an arrow head, bird points, dart points and some other needles.
DSCF2002-XL.jpg

These cards will be tested on my next expedition.

The other test I hope to be doing later this summer is the baton test. On my last baton test the knife failed at a stress riser somewhere into a cord of firewood. I want the knife to be able to split a cord of wood with no problems so after some changes in the way I harden and attach the blade, I will test it again. I will keep you posted

Mark,

The survival card is awesome! One of the most unique, innovative ideas that I've seen in a long time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's something that we are pretty excited about, it's brand new. The folks at Readyman are making these survival cards for us that fit into the survival compartments of our 1911 Combat Survivor.

So now, with the other stuff that goes into the compartment, the Leatherman Micra, the diamond hone, the needles, fishhooks, synthetic sinew, ferric magnesium fire starter and LED light, with the card you get spinner blades (snare locks), more fish hooks, frog/fish gigs, an arrow head, bird points, dart points and some other needles.

These cards will be tested on my next expedition.

The other test I hope to be doing later this summer is the baton test. On my last baton test the knife failed at a stress riser somewhere into a cord of firewood. I want the knife to be able to split a cord of wood with no problems so after some changes in the way I harden and attach the blade, I will test it again. I will keep you posted

I have no use for it now, nor will I ever, but DANG do I want one of those knives!
That's a lustful object for a gadget freak like me.

I have no use for it now, nor will I ever, but DANG do I want one of those knives!
That's a lustful object for a gadget freak like me.

I checked the corporate bylaws, there is no stipulation that you have to use it if you get one so....you're good. Thanks for the nice comment.

I checked the corporate bylaws, there is no stipulation that you have to use it if you get one so....you're good. Thanks for the nice comment.

You missed Article 6 that gives the corporation partner right of refusal on purchases :)

You missed Article 6 that gives the corporation partner right of refusal on purchases :)

That dang Article 6, I think there are addendums that allow for wavers of article six in the case of reciprocal agreements, Birthdays or Christmas . I got an article six too.

Back