THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Here's a few more....

Parts temporarily fitted together.

BCcimnql.jpg

2mm slot milled into teeth. The stock is 6mm 01 by the way. I'm well aware there are better steel choices for this style of knife, but I tend to work at the budget end of knifemaking!

Wc7lu5ul.jpg

Ready to grind.
lp5WS9rl.jpg

Ian.

Wow! Did use use a handgun to shoot the charging bears?

No, these were guided hunts, we were using rifles. I have guided for one black bear with a .44, and one brown bear with a bow. I have shot one black bear with a bow myself and several with a .50 Linebough clone that I built myself on a Ruger Blackhawk frame. I did not have to "go into the brush" after any wounded bears shot with bows or pistols (so far) in which case I would use a rifle.

Last edited:
Ian, really enjoying these WIP photos! I like the deep choil. Are the teeth canted (dipped forward)?

That looks really great! You have quite a few hours invested in that knife.... and it shows.
Nice work!!!

Thanks for the comments.

There's definitely been a lot of time spent on this. As my first hollow handle it's been a big learning curve.

The teeth are dipped at the front. Something else I've learned about from this thread.

Ian.

Next job is the cord wrap.

I had a practice on a piece of pipe and worked out how to do it.

Thanks for all your helpful responses to my cord wrap question. :thumbsup:

One thing I did try was coating the cord with a coat of clear laquer after wrapping it. It made the whole thing much more 'solid' and it was still possible to unwrap it should you wish to use it. The cord is perfectly usable, and slightly stiffer than it was before coating it.

I guess I'll see how it works once I finish it and try it out.

vzdQPUgl.jpg

D6141i9l.jpg

A5zfbFel.jpg

Next step...some leatherwork.

Ian.

Excellent work!

What is the blade length?

As for the 0-1's appropriateness for this type of knife, I would recommend simply Cerakoating it... It is true a mirror finish does discourage rust to some extent, but I am much happier with the 5160 of my Voorhis covered in Bronze paint with Olive drab 550 cord: It looks great even after some rain.

Edge-holding of 5160 is only so-so: I think 0-1 is probably a better choice, if coated.

Gaston

Thanks Gaston.

The blade is 9", overall, it's 14".

At present, the blade is finished to 800 grit. To be honest, I'm not too sure how to finish it. I don't want it anywhere near a polisher, as I'm concerned that it might dull the saw teeth. One thing I'm very surprised with is how aggressive they are.
I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I pretty much use 0-1 for everything. It works, is easy to heat treat, is readily available in a massive range of sizes and doesn't cost a fortune...which is ideal for a knifemaker on a budget!

Ian.

Great job, Ian! Randall has used O1 on their Model 18 for over 50 years and it's just as popular today. :thumbsup:

Curious, is this knife for a client or your personal use?

It's for my own use. I plan to have a play with it and see how well it performs. Plus I've waited 30 years for this!

Started on the leatherwork tonight.

First some drawing.

WZJ7CNal.jpg

Cutting a few pieces out. This is 3-4mm vegetable tanned shoulder hide.

ov0JZHtl.jpg

14E41BJl.jpg

Eze-Lap diamond hone loop moulded and stuck together.

TYzsj1Xl.jpg

QknHKTKl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ian.

I done a bit more work on the sheath last night.

6e78Sjal.jpg

cmwn7EUl.jpg

2v3xVCSl.jpg

Stitching time tonight. I can feel the pain in my hands/fingers already!

Ian.

Reactions: TAH
Thankfully, that's the leatherwork done...except for dying, oiling and finishing, but that's the easy part!

Here's a few more pictures. Hopefully I'm not boring you yet.

bDh80Uol.jpg

e1NlAMIl.jpg

dJ2WqCQl.jpg

if8V1Nnl.jpg

Apart from the sheath, all that's left to do is put an edge on it and (hopefully!) take some decent pictures of the finished article.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hey, there's that little knife again in the last photo! :)

Not boring me at all. Your work is superb.

Unreal! It seems like you wiped that together effortlessly. Fantastic job on knife, sheath, and photos. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate. Much appreciated.

I've probably read through this entire thread two or three times! I've learned a great deal from it, so I figured I'd contribute to it in some way.

I wish I'd taken some photos of the handle making stage really...trouble is, I was kind of working out how to do it as I went.

Been quite an interesting one to make, and a steep learning curve.

I'm experimenting with etchant proof tape and various steel blackening methods at the moment...you might say I'm on a 'Mission';)

Ian.

Reactions: TAH
Back