THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

I know this photo you posted, I have that photo saved on my computer since times ago.
Actually, I updated that photo tonight. I replaced #6 with my latest compass and removed the Japanese liquid filled present day Randall compass. It finally formed a bubble after about 5 years.

As I mentioned, the companys I told you made dry and liquid filled compasses.
I don't doubt that these companies might have made mini dry compasses in the past. My comment in post #2968 still stands. There is only one mini (1.5 cm or less) dry high quality compass being made today that I am aware of. If there are others being made today, I would love to see them.

Anyway, Is easy and simple to take of the liquid of liquid filled compasses.
I have read this is not a good idea because dry compasses use higher quality (harder) jewel bearings that can withstand years of dial rotation. Liquid filled compasses use lower quality (softer) bearings. The liquid has two functions - 1) to slow down/steady the dial and 2) to soften the dial rotation by lubricating the bearing. According to compass manufacturers, the bearing will eventually wear out if the liquid is removed.

Last edited:
TAH, when I answered you and other members talking about button compasses, I wanted to help. I didn't expect you to interpret this in some wrong or personal way. I also didn't expect you only search or only appreciate the dry compasses which are produced today. As I mentioned, I saw in my hands, dry compasses of these quoted brands in stores not long time ago, if I saw this in my country, I believe this can be found There in some places, even if they are not being manufactured right now. In my case, I have several hollow handle survival knives and the vast majority of that knives fit 2 centimeters compass in the buttcaps.

About what you told me of the functions of the liquid and about the bearings, this really goes against what I always read reported by high qualitty compasses manufacturers I know. The function of the liquid, according report by this brands, has always been to stabilize the disc (reduce the efects of the vibrations and oscillations of the disc) to the disc stop faster in the right position. Also, high quality Liquid filled compasses, use to have good quality bearings (and not "low qualitty bearings"), most of Liquid filled good quality compasses have bearings made of jewels (please check out the websites or manuals of good manufactures) and some times other really high qualitty bearing systems. The first compasses I removed the liquids I did it in the 80's and these mini compasses are working perfectly until today, even some medium qualitty made compasses too. Anyway, I believe you should know that button (mini) compasses are not made for precision or accuratted reading, due to the physical limitation of the smaller dial size, mini or button compasses are made only for basic orientation.

In any case, this subject of mini dry compass with 'the technical specifications, size and manufacturing period' that you are looking for or want to know, I have nothing else to contribute or try to help. I hope you understand. Regards.

Last edited:
TAH, when I answered you and other members talking about button compasses, I wanted to help. I didn't expect you to interpret this in some wrong or personal way. I also didn't expect you only search or only appreciate the dry compasses which are produced today.

Silvano, slow down there, partner. The compass discussion started with cricketdave saying...
I know we have talked about the different compasses in hollow handles, most of mine have developed bubbles over the years and I need to replace them with dry compasses sometime when i find decent ones the right size i will.

I said...
There is only one, decent, mini (around 1/2" diameter) dry compass that is currently being produced in the world. The NATO Survival Compass. Hopefully, someone will correct me and show me another.

You said...
There are a few more brands of dry button compasses, of really excellent quality and that work very well for long time. Brands such as Recta, Silva, Brunton and Suunto already made great oil content and dry button compasses too.

The way your post is written, it suggests that these brands are currently producing mini, dry compasses, so I was excited at the thought that there were other compasses readily available other than the NATO. I was just asking where to find them or for a photo, since I have never seen one. The photos you posted were all liquid filled compasses, not dry. If all of the dry compasses that you mentioned are discontinued and can only be rarely found on eBay, that's going to be very difficult for someone like cricketdave who needs multiple compasses.

I'm going to try either this one

MilitarySpecialForcesSurvivalButtonCompass4_15.jpg

or this one
MilitarySpecialForcesSurvivalButtonCompass5_14.jpg

Let us know what you think if you move forward with one.

ETA: Are you looking for dry compasses that will fit in the buttcap or just packed in the handle?

I'm starting another extreme bushcrafting trek in the Brooks Range starting Saturday July 14. My last one was cut short due to threatening winter storms and the late spring in the arctic.

Like the last time, you can follow along, if you like, at my blog web site

https://www.markknappalaskaadventures.com/

I will be trying to simulate a real survival situation, living off the land, no tent, no sleeping bag, no cook gear. I'll have a complete gear list posted on my site. I'm doing this for many reasons. To test my 1911 Combat Survivor Bowie and Ulu, to see what they and the gear included in the handle do well and what they don't do well. Also of primary importance is to get/stay in better physical shape, test my other gear, expand my knowledge, hone my skills and teach a little of what I know.

Also, I hope to help expand the known ranges of some of our fish species in Alaska. It's not known what fish inhabit most of the lakes in the arctic. It's my wish to help the Alaska Department fisheries fill in some of the gaps (I've done a little of that in the past). I may also be able to identify some archeological sites.

On my last trip I used a hardware store tarp and space blankets for my shelter. On this trip I'll be using BCUSA 10 x 10 tarp exclusively. It was graciously sent to me by our friend Jason for testing and evaluation on my trips. On my previous trip I had problems with the grommets pulling out of the hardware store tarp. It's easy to see that the BCUSA tarp is not going to have the same problem.

On this trip I'll be walking the Sagavanirktok (Sag) river from it's head to the pipeline haul road, a distance of 100 to 120 miles. It will take two to three weeks. The Sag was to be the final leg of my earlier trek.

Follow along if you like. I'll be making daily journal reports via IN-Reach along the way and have plenty of video to share when I get back.

Wish me luck, thanks Mark

Let us know what you think if you move forward with one.

ETA: Are you looking for dry compasses that will fit in the buttcap or just packed in the handle?
I'm going to take the old ones out of the buttcap and replace with one of the dry compasses

Mark, be careful and have fun we will be following to see how it goes

I am sad to report that my second attempt at a solo, living-off-the-land trek in the Brooks Range this year was also thwarted by severe weather.

After getting my take out vehicle staged at the right spot, while we were headed to my drop off point, 70 road miles higher in the mountains, the fog rolled in and filled the valley right down to the deck. It's not possible to navigate in the mountains with such bad visibility so we returned to our base camp to wait it out. Soon after the fog came in it started to rain, then changed to snow. A day and a half later the snow stopped and the fog rose.

When we returned to my drop off location at the 3000 foot elevation the mountains were blanketed with three inches of new snow and ice from freezing rain. My trek involved crossing the mountains through a pass at 6000 feet. Given what we had at 3000 feet I could only imagine what was waiting for me at six thousand. With possibly up to a foot of new snow and ice covering shale slides and boulder fields it would have been foolish to attempt it.

My support crew had obligations to attend to in Fairbanks like jobs and family to pick up at the airport so we didn't have time to wait for the snow to melt. Once again I had to call it off.

I was able to get some really good video of grizzly bears, musk ox, caribou and a red fox hunting mice as well as me catching my biggest lake trout ever on a fly. You can check these videos out as well as others of the weather conditions in the mountains on my blog if you like.

My time and budget have been stretched to their limits for this summer, so I'll have to wait to try again. Maybe one of these times I will catch a break.

Thanks for all the support, Mark

I am sad to report that my second attempt at a solo, living-off-the-land trek in the Brooks Range this year was also thwarted by severe weather.

After getting my take out vehicle staged at the right spot, while we were headed to my drop off point, 70 road miles higher in the mountains, the fog rolled in and filled the valley right down to the deck. It's not possible to navigate in the mountains with such bad visibility so we returned to our base camp to wait it out. Soon after the fog came in it started to rain, then changed to snow. A day and a half later the snow stopped and the fog rose.

When we returned to my drop off location at the 3000 foot elevation the mountains were blanketed with three inches of new snow and ice from freezing rain. My trek involved crossing the mountains through a pass at 6000 feet. Given what we had at 3000 feet I could only imagine what was waiting for me at six thousand. With possibly up to a foot of new snow and ice covering shale slides and boulder fields it would have been foolish to attempt it.

My support crew had obligations to attend to in Fairbanks like jobs and family to pick up at the airport so we didn't have time to wait for the snow to melt. Once again I had to call it off.

I was able to get some really good video of grizzly bears, musk ox, caribou and a red fox hunting mice as well as me catching my biggest lake trout ever on a fly. You can check these videos out as well as others of the weather conditions in the mountains on my blog if you like.

My time and budget have been stretched to their limits for this summer, so I'll have to wait to try again. Maybe one of these times I will catch a break.

Thanks for all the support, Mark

You did very well in being prudent. A mature mind decision to respect the bad mood of nature. It is wonderful to venture into the wilderness, but using your instincts about safety and no ignoring the signs of danger and certain kinds of obstacles.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of opportunities in the future and you will complete your plan.

Explora survival, created by the venezuelan Doctor Charles Brewer Carias in the 70's and made by Marto of Spain since the 70's (out of production since 1.991):

kipb8rS.jpg

r9c7YI4.jpg

RUkAD2Y.jpg

nrLEN0Z.jpg

bsE0tVQ.jpg

fXrhfLg.jpg

XB153hE.jpg

nvOeaKn.jpg

7ekUyni.jpg

You did very well in being prudent. A mature mind decision to respect the bad mood of nature. It is wonderful to venture into the wilderness, but using your instincts about safety and no ignoring the signs of danger and certain kinds of obstacles.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of opportunities in the future and you will complete your plan.

Thanks Silvano

I apologize for the repeat post but I meant it for this thread!
[URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Chris2253/media/6AD80EFE-7BB9-4796-A5EB-F5600B3D39C5_zpsiffkzj7h.jpeg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Chris2253/media/D211F77A-9CFC-4685-BC2D-1870AAF5893D_zpstfrezszh.jpeg.html][/URL]Good evening folks, my name is Chris and I’m just being thrown into knife collecting. I grew in Russellville Arkansas... literally a mile from the Lile shop and frequently visited, even met Sly at a signing once (86,87?). Anyhow as a kid growing up in the 80’s of course I loved the First Blood movies. I had a family member that was very good friends with Jimmy and bought a few of his knifes and I was recently gifted my “grail” knife from his collection. It is the #11 Mission knife, I have been around this knife my entire childhood and most of my adult life and will now proudly display it. So that poses a few questions: 1. What’s the best way to care for the knife and sheath, and how do you all display your knive (or do you). 2. I would love to learn more about the “Rambo” knives and their history. 3. And being knew I doubt I’ll get love here on it haha but I remember seeing in Liles shop as a kid a “Mini Mission”, do y’all ever see those around here? I’d love to start adding to this lone knife collection!

Any help would be awesome!

Welcome! You have a great hollow handle knife to start your collection. Not sure how you might want to display it, but do not store the knife in the sheath. Steel and leather do not like each other if they're touching for a long period of time.

As for Rambo knives and their history, this website would be a good start: http://www.cartertown.com/rambo1.htm

Chris2253

How you choose to display your knife is up to you. I have several knives in my office that are sentimental to me. One is an ak bayonet that I got in Afghanistan. I always worry that if I’m burglarized it will be taken.

Welcome! You have a great hollow handle knife to start your collection. Not sure how you might want to display it, but do not store the knife in the sheath. Steel and leather do not like each other if they're touching for a long period of time.

As for Rambo knives and their history, this website would be a good start: http://www.cartertown.com/rambo1.htm
Wow, thank you... what an informative article. Fortunately though the blade has been stored in its original sheath is still in “new” condition. Thanks for the feedback... I’m going to pick up a few more I think and have a table made.

Reactions: TAH
Back