THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Hey guys, here is a little project I have been working on. In brief, the concept is to use a factory made Polar puukko blade blank and attach one of my hollow handles to it, and make a simple pouch sheath for it.

It is a very basic take on the "mid-tech" concept, which will allow me to get more knives out to people at a price point that will encourage them to use it, speed up production for me, give people a chance to examine/use my products, and try out some fun concepts.

Here is a pic of the current version, 2.0. It has a slimmed down handle over the original prototype, and this one has a matching hollow handle firesteel (optional). So I am just looking for feedback on what you think about it. Feel free to speak up.

arrgpRo.jpg

HoSW2bj.jpg

TBaxqEa.jpg

icYhcHO.jpg

fCmPZef.jpg

VwzvSC4.jpg

Sam :thumbsup:

I am not really into the whole hollow handle knife thing but damit if you're not wearing me down. Nice looking work.

I am not really into the whole hollow handle knife thing but damit if you're not wearing me down. Nice looking work.

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll get you, sooner or later. The hits are gonna keep on coming...:D:thumbsup:

xtM87f7.jpg

Knife number one was purchased by me in 1985 when I was 15. The knife is a Fury brand made in Japan. I have some very fond memories running through the woods of north east Maryland using the knife for everything a young boy could think to do with a big knife. Sometime in the 1990s I loaned the knife to a friend who somehow broke it at the handle. I was able to have the knife repaired by a good welder who probably made it stronger than when it was new. Feeling sentimental a few years ago I refinished the knife coyote tan and replaced the rotted factory sheath with a custom one by Savage Sheaths. While I would not hesitate to use the knife for anything reasonable the knife rests safe on a shelf in my office today.

Knife number two a Schrade SCHF-1 hollow handle survival knife in a custom Savage sheath. This knife is my go to big survival knife. Sometimes you just need a big knife.

rGoIykD.jpg

1QCsvkc.jpg

Last edited:
What in the world was your friend doing to break a knife like that? Were it my knife, I would have been sorely tempted to use the handle to impress upon him the importance of caring for other's tools.:)

Sam:thumbsup:

Here is a quick vid to see the M7 sawback in action. As stated many times in the past, these are not a practical wood processing tool for large scale use. It would require a mammoth expenditure of energy for that application.

But this demonstrates that the sawteeth do work and are highly effective for creating notches (for trap parts and other contraptions), and produce excellent tinder dust for firestarting.

And here are the rest of the Glamour Shots, minus the hair spray and a trip to the mall.

This one came equipped with the redesigned M.O.A. System (Make it Out Alive), featuring the heavy duty pouch and tin on the sheath, stainless steel plated aluminum buttcap, and stainless steel PSK knife fitted behind the pouch.

S6BUkoC.jpg

8pxnE4v.jpg

NJ0Sf4J.jpg

Thank you!

Back