THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Thanks HARM, much appreciated! I saw that last one you did, and it was very slick. Nice work!

Also, here's the video going into the design concept and features of the M7/M.O.A. System. A lot of info, but I have found that most of my clients are into details. Enjoy!

Sam :thumbsup:

Thanks HARM, much appreciated! I saw that last one you did, and it was very slick. Nice work!
Thank you Sam.
I am working on a smaller,"outdoor/utility" HH knife,inspired by your work.
I have to say,i think that you have really taken this style to another level,i think this style is gaining "mainstream" acceptance in the knife world as practical tools.
Mark's [Knapp] 1911 Bowie is pretty cool too,i saw these in TK,but the details here give an interesting insight.

Well buddy, I am looking forward to seeing it when complete. I hope you will post it here for all of us to enjoy. I have come to expect nothing but top-notch clean work from you, you hit the mark so often it's routine.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliments, I am extremely happy to be able to do something I truly enjoy. I have a lot more to come, we'll see how folks feel about it when they speak with their wallets!

Here's an M7 pic to shamelessly self-promote!

2LUz2Cz.jpg

Sam :thumbsup:

Thank you Sam.
I am working on a smaller,"outdoor/utility" HH knife,inspired by your work.
I have to say,i think that you have really taken this style to another level,i think this style is gaining "mainstream" acceptance in the knife world as practical tools.
Mark's [Knapp] 1911 Bowie is pretty cool too,i saw these in TK,but the details here give an interesting insight.
Thank you very much for the mention. I have invested in some new technology and now have a one-piece-construction version of the 1911 Bowie coming out soon. It will be the strongest version of the knife I have built to date. They are investment casted in 154 CM high carbon stainless steel. Early testing is showing this material and design to be the very best I can do for my style of knife. I will be doing some extensive baton testing with it later this spring when the snow melts off of my wood pile.

Sometimes people get the idea that those of us that make HH knives are in competition with each other. Like we are all out to prove that we can make a better knife than anyone else (not you personally Harm). I don't see it that way, I think, if I make the best knife I can in my style and others make the best knives they can in their styles, the whole HH knife community is better for it, both the makers and the buyers. A rising tide lifts all boats. Just something I've been thinking and wanting to say for a long time.

The knife I build will be the best knife I can build, but it will not be for everybody. That's why this is such a great thread, there's something here for everyone.

You can tell that Sam puts a great amount of time, thought and effort into every knife he produces, his knives and videos are a testament to that.

With Sam's knives, and all the others we see on here, everyone should be able to find something that they really like, and maybe, just maybe, some people will want one of each.

Hey Mr Harm, would you like to show your knife here so we all can see it? I'm sorry if you have already and I missed it.

These are the HH knives i make,inspired by Jimmy Lile's Sly.
steel is 8mm thick Bohler K110 [like D2],hardened to 59/60 HRC.
blade length is 9.5in,oal is 14.4in.
handle is 304 SS tube with 6061 Al buttcap.
the leatherwork was interesting,was fun making the mounts for the eze lap diamond sharpeners.

the HH knives really kicked my butt,milling,turning,threading on the lathe,leatherwork,fun times.and Bohler K110 is tough.
these are my 1st lugged guards,man that's another story too [i'm sure you can tell at this point,i'm no machinist].
these 2 are "custom" sizes
large is 15.5 oal with a 10.4 in blade.
small is 13.5 in oal with a 8.4 in blade.
both have 8mm thick Bohler K110 blades,hardened to 59/60 HRC [i "drew the temper"on the spine and tangs as well],hand rubbed.
lugged guards are 3Cr12.
handles are 303 ss [i wanted a "lip"at the end to stop the cord] with 6061 Al buttcaps [i did not make the caps,got these from Newt Martin].
handles are wrapped in a flame resistant cord.wrapping was fun too.all 1000 times.
i made the sheaths [i'm not great at this but the sheaths are functional],the Eze Lap diamond sharpeners set if off nicely.
i turned a "groove" at the butt end of the handle for the o ring to nest into,just looks neater,i feel,i did this on the 1st 2 as well.
pics are ok too.
thanks for looking.

Ah Ha, I went back and found them. Very nice job buddy.

Mark,i prefer harm [my initials],and i hope you don't mind me using your first name.
thank you for your kind words.
the camaraderie here among the hh makers,is heartwarming,and seeing the other blades do help us push our boundaries.
my knives are being refined over time,i don't make as many as hh knives as i'd like,but i do get to make a few a year.
i have a couple more done,i'll post pics once those are with the owners,hopefully our president [South Africa] will announce,tonight,the opening of global trade [we've been under lockdown sice the 21st of March].
i'm looking forward to seeing the new iteration of your 1911 knife,and the pics of your t&e.
really pushing the envelope on this genre of knife.

here are a couple pics of a knife i delivered late last year.
the owner wanted a thigh rig,and a black blade.
the handle capacity is not more than a couple inches [again,it was what the guy wanted,being a bit on the vertically challenged side himself].
this was a one-off,and i forgot to record the specs.
steel is 6mm thick Bohler N690,57/58 HRC.
black Kal Gard coated blade.
3Cr12 Guard,303 handle,Aluminium buttcap
20191016_130216 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr
20191016_130040 by Humayd a r Mahomedy, on Flickr

harm, very nice. Attention to detail very good. Yes, you can call me Mark. I was in your neck of the woods last spring. Just got my trophies back early this month.

Some splendid blades flyin around in here...
Sam, those pukkos you did with the premade blanks have a real handy look to them, I like it. I also thought you were including a shepherds sling with your kit until i realized it was a compass, haha.. It didn't even seem out of place when my brain offered it up, either!
HARM, that is some serious lookin gear you're turning out as well. Its got that 'heavy equipment' aura I tend to like.
And Mark hinting about those integral 1911 Bowies... That sounds awesome, maybe you'll catch me between my next Kornalski and firearm purchase with a run..

I'd better get myself in gear and snag something out of here, thats for sure.

Thanks for sharing such well done unicorns, fellas.

Some splendid blades flyin around in here...
Sam, those pukkos you did with the premade blanks have a real handy look to them, I like it. I also thought you were including a shepherds sling with your kit until i realized it was a compass, haha.. It didn't even seem out of place when my brain offered it up, either!
HARM, that is some serious lookin gear you're turning out as well. Its got that 'heavy equipment' aura I tend to like.
And Mark hinting about those integral 1911 Bowies... That sounds awesome, maybe you'll catch me between my next Kornalski and firearm purchase with a run..

I'd better get myself in gear and snag something out of here, thats for sure.

Thanks for sharing such well done unicorns, fellas.
Here's the first peek at the new 1911 Bowie with one piece construction, something I've been working on for a long time. I think these are probably the strongest knives I've ever built. I will know for sure after some testing.

DSCF5241-XL.jpg

DSCF5245-X2.jpg

DSCF5242-X2.jpg

DSCF5244-X2.jpg

The first two are being sent to customer, I've saved this one out for baton testing to see how tough the knife is.

Thanks, Mark. When you gonna get around to testing the new 1911's? Looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

Sam

Thanks, Tom. After all of these sawing videos, I could probably crack walnuts in my bare hands. It's a bit of a workout, lol!

Sam:thumbsup:

Reactions: TAH
Thanks, Mark. When you gonna get around to testing the new 1911's? Looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

Sam
Pretty soon, I got more coming. I like to have at least one good looking one around to look at. When I test them, I test them to destruction. Seems like a shame, I know.

Back