THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

And some .
I think only two tanto hh knives where ever made on is with Sly.
7leLSN6.jpg

Man, there are some amazing pics in this thread! I like the curve in that tanto by Gil with the black handle. And all those Andrew Cliffords by thedemonbeast. Way to go!

Here is my collection of Andrew Clifford handmade survival knives and sheaths. Left to right: Very first one that I bought which belonged to a US Soldier in Iraq. His family sold it. This knife is a very rare unmarked ACK knife and has seen both Mid East wars and action in both. The next one is the one which Andy made in honor and memory of my dad who was a US Army Special Forces Retired man and who sadly died on jan 1, 2010. The 3rd one is the one which Andy made to honor my baby brother who suddenly and untimely died last year, 2012. The one after that, still left to right, is the Heavy Version of Andy's First Blood style knife. It is a real beast and has a hollow handle that is pure steel. And the last one, and most prestigious one yet, is my Numbero Uno, very first one and prototype Andrew Clifford handmade Sly II style knife!

Let's try this again...here are some pics of an unknown hollow handle knife of mine I think I paid either $75 or $175 for. It was made by a (then) friend's dad and details were sketchy. I had the black oxide re-done about 5 years ago. It owes me nothing and has been a great knife for the uses I've utilized it for.

HH.jpg HH2.jpg HH3.jpg HH4.jpg

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, but you have to appreciate the work that went into it. I've never seen anything like it. Made by Howard Hill in the early 90s.

CB_754a.jpg

CB_754b.jpg

• 10 1/2" blade of 440C, mirror polish, 17" overall length
• Blued steel hilt with gold wire inlay and eagle's heads carved in each end
• Hollow handle has eight sets of abalone shell inlays with gold plated accents
• Threaded and blued steel hilt with gold wire inlay
• Blade, hilt, and butt cap are engraved by HARRY LIMINGS
• No sheath

It sold for $900.

Let's try this again...here are some pics of an unknown hollow handle knife of mine I think I paid either $75 or $175 for. It was made by a (then) friend's dad and details were sketchy. I had the black oxide re-done about 5 years ago. It owes me nothing and has been a great knife for the uses I've utilized it for.

View attachment 398529 View attachment 398530 View attachment 398531 View attachment 398532

Your friend's dad made this knife? It seems very well done. Looks strong as an ox with that weld between the handle and the guard. I haven't seen sawteeth cut that deep into the blade before; how well does it cut? Nice knife!

Your friend's dad made this knife? It seems very well done. Looks strong as an ox with that weld between the handle and the guard. I haven't seen sawteeth cut that deep into the blade before; how well does it cut? Nice knife!

Cool knife, 1SHOT. Sometimes knives with a crude finish can look mean as hell. I like it! :thumbup:

Thank you! It cuts real well. The saw teeth blaze through wood like nobodies business. I really need to have a proper edge put on it though.
My friend's Dad fancied himself a novice knife maker and when he died, my friend (knowing I was a knife nut) asked me if I was interested in purchasing in it. He didn't have life insurance and she needed the money. I had been on the hunt for a CRK one piece at the time and figured I'd help out my friend and score a knife in the process. I've had it ever since. (that was back in 96') I couldn't find a sheath maker, or anyone interested in making one, so when I found the Spec Ops sheath I picked one up. Now that I'm a member here I may have a kydex sheath made as an alternative. (I like having options)

That's a good story, 1SHOT. Any idea what type of steel he used?

I've always wanted to make a spear point with a hollow handle but, with the threads on the butcap made to match standard mop and broom handles. That way it could be easily made into a spear type weapon, just for fun.

Thank you! It cuts real well. The saw teeth blaze through wood like nobodies business. I really need to have a proper edge put on it though.
My friend's Dad fancied himself a novice knife maker and when he died, my friend (knowing I was a knife nut) asked me if I was interested in purchasing in it. He didn't have life insurance and she needed the money. I had been on the hunt for a CRK one piece at the time and figured I'd help out my friend and score a knife in the process. I've had it ever since. (that was back in 96') I couldn't find a sheath maker, or anyone interested in making one, so when I found the Spec Ops sheath I picked one up. Now that I'm a member here I may have a kydex sheath made as an alternative. (I like having options)

All the high-end custom knives on this thread, and I'm really digging this one, 1Shot! It's got character!

I am in the middle of a (long) process of making a hollow handle knife. My father has made quite a few knives before (no HH though) and is sort of taking the project over because I kind of stalled on it....I would love mine to turn out as nice as this one. Maybe I will post some pics of it to help get me moving along. Sam has already seen the pics. The fun part has been the hours spent conjuring what fashion to connect tang to handle.

I've always wanted to make a spear point with a hollow handle but, with the threads on the butcap made to match standard mop and broom handles. That way it could be easily made into a spear type weapon, just for fun.

Something like one of these?

ubbthreads.php

231111238428_1_0_1.jpg

That's a good story, 1SHOT. Any idea what type of steel he used?

All the high-end custom knives on this thread, and I'm really digging this one, 1Shot! It's got character!

I am in the middle of a (long) process of making a hollow handle knife. My father has made quite a few knives before (no HH though) and is sort of taking the project over because I kind of stalled on it....I would love mine to turn out as nice as this one. Maybe I will post some pics of it to help get me moving along. Sam has already seen the pics. The fun part has been the hours spent conjuring what fashion to connect tang to handle.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliments. I don't have any idea what steel it is, nor would I know how to find out. I posed this question to my friend back then and she couldn't tell me. What she did tell me, though, was that when she cleaned up the garage where he worked she found sheets of ATS-34 steel among the other knife maker supplies he had.

Back