THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Nice collection, ctalon! Tell me about the two knives in the 3rd photo, top row, #2 & #6. Never seen those before. Also, is that an original Jack Crain or a tribute knife? Regardless, it looks great! :thumbup:

TAH,

#2 and #6 are made by ZU Bladeworks in Australia. There is also A large sword called the "Warchild" that is an HH and is a massive beast. They are great/quality/solid knives. The bottom row of knives are Newt Martin.

TAH,

#2 and #6 are made by ZU Bladeworks in Australia. There is also A large sword called the "Warchild" that is an HH and is a massive beast. They are great/quality/solid knives. The bottom row of knives are Newt Martin.

Who made the one with orange handle and also the Jack Crain one?

I've had the Japanese manufactured "Rambo II" knife from Frost Cutlery for many, many years.

About a year ago I finally bought the Buck 184 I've wanted for nearly 30 years. It's the 1985 model.

About a year ago I finally bought the Buck 184 I've wanted for nearly 30 years. It's the 1985 model.

Congrats on your Buck! Post a pic if you can. I never get tired of looking at that knife. :thumbup:

Size up the situation
Undue haste makes waste
Remember where you are
Vanquish fear and panic
Improvise
Value living
Act like the natives
Learn basic skills

- Army Field Manual, “Survival”, (pp. 5)

Randall Model 15/18 "Airman-Survival"

IMG_1933-1.jpg

IMG_2054-1-1.jpg

IMG_1908-1-1.jpg

1SHOT, have you had a chance to use those sawteeth yet? I know they're deep, but in my tests, I found that to a certain degree, the deeper I cut them, the better they worked. Obviously that has to be balanced with aesthetic appeal, but I'm curious about those. And is parkerized, or blued, or coated? I agree, that knife looks as tough as all get out.

I have used them and they have gone through wood like a torch through butter. I'll try to get a better pic of them next to a groove they cut...
The knife was originally parkerized (iirc) and I had my friend match the black oxide on it to the black oxide on my Sog EOD Powerlock that is carried in the pouch on the Spec Ops sheath.

I have a couple by Newt Martin, and love them!

Martin Caiman

Martin MCE-II

Mistwalker, nice knives, and nice pics, man. Martin makes a very solid knife, and you've got two of my favorites by him right there. Cool. :thumbup:

TAH,

ctalon,

That is great collection you've got. Neeley and Sanders made some very nice, clean knives. Along with the Martins, and I've never heard of the ZU Bladeworks before, but those are some mean, solid looking knives, also. Thanks for posting, and great knives! :D

I have used them and they have gone through wood like a torch through butter. I'll try to get a better pic of them next to a groove they cut...
The knife was originally parkerized (iirc) and I had my friend match the black oxide on it to the black oxide on my Sog EOD Powerlock that is carried in the pouch on the Spec Ops sheath.

I believe you. When I was testing out different tooth configurations, as I mentioned earlier, some of the deep patterns really tore the wood out quick. I was really surprised. I look forward to seeing the pics when you get a chance to post them.

TAH, I never get tired of seeing that Randall. Such a nice configuration, with that blade and the Model 18 handle. Cool. :thumbup:

Bowie69, you'll have to let me know how your project is going. I look forward to seeing it completed someday. Please keep me posted. :)

I have a little confession, I foolishly sent out a couple of knives I made without getting any good pics. So at the moment, the only other one I've got to show is this Model 1 with an 8 1/2" blade. I think at this point in the build, I was getting ready to attach the handle, as the guard was not polished out yet. It's got oil all over the blade, and a bunch of gunk stuck to it, but you get the idea.

model1_zps7163c156.jpg

Sam :thumbup:

Now, thats a good looking knife, Sam. Less is more.

Thanks, BladeScout. I agree. On that blade shape, the 8 1/2" length has better proportions. It felt really good in the hand, too. I almost didn't let it go. I think I am going to make another one for myself. I may do this one in stainless.

Great looking knife, Sam! Nice clean lines. Does this one have a cord ring?

Thank you, TAH. As much as I love the 9 1/2" blades, this 8 1/2" version of the Model 1 in stainless may become my next woods carry knife. Yes, it has a cord ring. This particular picture was taken halfway through the build, as the guard has not even been polished out yet. The cord ring came later. I should have gotten pictures. :rolleyes:

Sam,

Speaking on the behalf of all 2x4s out there, I hope you're not going to unleash your "Mother-in-Law" on that poor board. :D

Well all the hollow handle talk was killin me since I had sold off all the ones I had except for one that was stolen 30 years ago. Sure wish I still had it but oh well. I'm sure it went to a pawn shop for pennies compared to what it was worth. Not to mention what it would be worth now. Anyway I contacted Newt Martin and worked out what I wanted with him. 7inch blade no saw teeth s35v steel lugged hilt and no sheath since I'll make my own. Now the wait will be killing me but it gives me time to save the money up. My daughter saw what I ordered and now she wants the Caiman. She already has her own Busse team gemini with a survival kit on the sheath. Guess that will be my next order after I get my own.

Back