The Holy Trinity... Plus One?

Apologies for the slightly irreverent title. In Italy, when a dish calls for sauteed onion, carrot and celery, it is sometimes referred to as the Holy Trinity. In the same way, the Nessmuk trio of hatchet, fixed blade and folding knife might be similarly named.

Next week, I'm off to the woods for a few nights on my own. It will be cold, probably wet, maybe snowing. I'll be taking that trio, detailed below, but I have decided to wrench myself free from tradition and add a plus one to the party, a Spyderco Military in 52100. Why? Because I can. Because Sears and Kephart did not have access to such knives, as they simply did not exist. Because at a pinch it would suffice to do everything, and it is a better kitchen knife than my fixed blade. Because it is remarkably light for what you get. Because it's me that will be carrying the gear and because I want to, so there. ;)

The hatchet is Hultafors, nothing modern about it. The fixed blade knife is a Kephart pattern made by English knife maker, Mark Hill. It is in O1, and this will be its first time in the great outdoors. The little folder is in fact a Victorinox Huntsman, kept with the first aid kit. I'll be bivvying with a tarp shelter, and that corkscrew comes into its own on a Sunday morning, with the knots in the paracord rigging being sodden, cold and stubbornly resistant to being undone. I won't be taking wine though, just a tot or two of whisky. ;)

Anyway, is it only me who feels so wedded to tradition? (To the extent that I had to think quite carefully before deciding on my Spyderco frivolity.) If you were going to add a blasphemous 'plus one', or if you do so already, what is it and why?

Tom

Last edited:
The promise of good food, slicing tools ... an invitation to add - I'll be following with great interest.

The promise of good food, slicing tools ... an invitation to add - I'll be following with great interest.
I’m hoping for not too much rain next week. Last time I was there in Winter, 2017, the first night was pretty miserable. I got a fire going, but it was rather a sorry look out. I’d forbidden myself a gas or liquid fuel stove, so if I wanted hot drinks or food, it had to be fire... ;)

Mirepoix(mear-pwah). In New Orleans the holy Trinity is carrots, onion and bell pepper but what you’ve described is a mirepoix. It was the base for all of my moms Midwest cooking. Oh the meatloaf...it was made with a little veal and bacon draped over the top. :)

Sounds like you’ll have a blast. I agree on the milley. I carry the m4 version. Still kicking myself that I didn’t get the 52100 version.

As far as the trinity. I actually have that tattooed on my arm so I’m a firm believer. Milley with a saw/chopper in my pack and some fixed blade is just right. That said I’m not chopping down several trees to set up camp like they did so most of time I don’t bother with the saw/chopper. In bad weather they get brought. I’ve been eyeing bringing both instead of one or the other so I know where the 4 tool idea comes from. I wonder if silky was around back in the day, would they have a saw too?

Mirepoix(mear-pwah). In New Orleans the holy Trinity is carrots, onion and bell pepper but what you’ve described is a mirepoix. It was the base for all of my moms Midwest cooking. Oh the meatloaf...it was made with a little veal and bacon draped over the top. :)

Sounds like you’ll have a blast. I agree on the milley. I carry the m4 version. Still kicking myself that I didn’t get the 52100 version.

As far as the trinity. I actually have that tattooed on my arm so I’m a firm believer. Milley with a saw/chopper in my pack and some fixed blade is just right. That said I’m not chopping down several trees to set up camp like they did so most of time I don’t bother with the saw/chopper. In bad weather they get brought. I’ve been eyeing bringing both instead of one or the other so I know where the 4 tool idea comes from. I wonder if silky was around back in the day, would they have a saw too?
Great post, thank you for sharing. I confess that I will have access to logs at this site. I will choose to make it a bit harder for myself, but that is still my choice, not a necessity. When you are on your own, living simply is good, hard work. Most of us work hard during the week, I do, but not fetching water, tending a fire, chopping wood, fetching water, tending a fire, chopping wood, cooking, fetching water, tending a fire, chopping wood, etc.

[and that is not taking hunting and gathering into account]

This is one of those threads that I am kind of surprised didn't draw more posts.

I hope their are some pictures from this trip even though it was so long ago!

Backpacking and truck camping, my holy trinity normally is an axe(Estwing or Gransfors), a Bahco Laplander saw, and a Buck 119. My plus one is either a Leatherman or a Victorinox SAK. The axe and saw make short work of processing any downed trees or limbs I find near camp for the evenings fire. The Buck 119 is use for food prep, but mostly their to serve as a last line a defense should an aggressive animal wondered into camp. The Leatherman or Victorinox is good for moving my cup or pot off the fire and fixing any of the gadgets I happened to bring along. If I am just doing a day hike the trinity is my Buck 119, Leatherman/Victorinox, and a folder(Buck 110/benchmade 943). I find the saws on the Leathermans/Victorinox to be perfectly adequate for my needs while just day hiking. I dont make it a habit to baton with knives but if I needed to split some wood I know my 119 can handle a little bit of that.

Pilsner, how did that Mark Hill Kephart work out? I have one on order now. This will be my 5th knife from Mark.

Last edited:
Pilsner, how did that Mark Hill Kephart work out? I have one on order now. This will be my 5th knife from Mark.
Sorry for the late response! It's a fantastic knife and well worth it. Absolutely love mine; Mark really is an excellent maker and the Kephart is deservedly a classic, no-nonsense design. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply. Mark is a master bladesmith. My Kephart is due the end of the month, just in time for camping season!

Back