The 'I ❤ Nathan' Thread

We're ordering steel for the upcoming Utility Fighter 2, which needs to start production this summer for us to remain on schedule with the customer. I order full billets of 3V so I usually split the order between two patterns. I'm trying to decide what the other pattern should be. Right now I'm thinking about the 22" Notta-Katana. Jo thinks we should push that back a while since we just did a sword. What do you guys think? Too soon?

Yes Sir, a 22 inch Katana sounds GREAT!

giphy.gif

We're ordering steel for the upcoming Utility Fighter 2, which needs to start production this summer for us to remain on schedule with the customer. I order full billets of 3V so I usually split the order between two patterns. I'm trying to decide what the other pattern should be. Right now I'm thinking about the 22" Notta-Katana. Jo thinks we should push that back a while since we just did a sword. What do you guys think? Too soon?
22" bladed CPK take on a Wakizashi? In for at least 1, most likely 2.

Another vote for the micro edc, folding knife or axe. Those would get more use, especially the micro edc. I’m getting to the point where I’m mostly interested in things I have use for or are really different than whatever I already have. I’m really looking forward to getting my K18 but I don’t think I would get another sword. Just not much use. Just like the Kephart, I already have three FK2s and the Kepart wouldn’t get much use. Other than my FK2s I’m even thinking of letting go of a couple that are doubles.

First, I am certainly not saying don’t make it, however, I would think a break from sword making would be a good thing. You have a lot of new patterns on the white board that I would prefer to see before another sword, but that may just be me. Again, I want the sword too, but the K18 should scratch that itch for a while and I suspect you could all use a break from that kinda blade for a little while.

Just spitballing (SWAG), but I'm thinking it's possible that after figuring out all the logistical issues with production of the K18, that's bigger than anything CPK's done before (and the fact that the K18s and DEK1 preorders are being shipped concurrently), it's possible/likely that CPK is currently setup to simultaneously handle production of a smaller knife and a big/long blade.

It's probably why he's posed the question about the Notta-katana. Easier to transition the K18 line (already optimized for bigger stuff) when that's done, to another large/long blade vs switching everything to producing smaller knives, then back again at a later time for another bigger blade?

Last edited:
Another vote for the micro edc, folding knife or axe. Those would get more use, especially the micro edc. I’m getting to the point where I’m mostly interested in things I have use for or are really different than whatever I already have. I’m really looking forward to getting my K18 but I don’t think I would get another sword. Just not much use. Just like the Kephart, I already have three FK2s and the Kepart wouldn’t get much use. Other than my FK2s I’m even thinking of letting go of a couple that are doubles.

First, I am certainly not saying don’t make it, however, I would think a break from sword making would be a good thing. You have a lot of new patterns on the white board that I would prefer to see before another sword, but that may just be me. Again, I want the sword too, but the K18 should scratch that itch for a while and I suspect you could all use a break from that kinda blade for a little while.

Nathan, I'm extraordinarily prescient! These two gents are already on board with the Notta-Katana project as I look into my crystal ball :D

I would love a micro-edc or something in the small faculty. Probably selfish reason, but swords are seen as nukes here, and practically speaking, get no use. A micro-edc would get carried on hikes and walks and be far more practical to me. As much as a sword seems fun.

Ps pleaseeee consider aebl again as an option for the Uf2

I just got my copy of the book Next Level Knifemaking, put together by Jason Fry.
It turns out that Nathan wrote the last chapter in the book, about scaled up production, and a bit about the business side.
He says "you would be better off opening a hotdog cart".
Luckily for us Nathan's Hotdogs was taken, although to his point that's a pretty big business...
There is a nice overview of the CPK process.
My favorite chapter so far.

Back