The 'I ❤ Nathan' Thread

the evidence of Nathan's virtuous character has been apparent to me for many years, and I could point to many examples of how he went out of his way to enable my growth and education in the field of cutlery design.

But that's just my personal stuff. What impressed me the most was his actions toward someone else in this forum.

Some time ago there was a fellow who created some social chaos in this forum. His expectations and sense of entitlement were oddly inflated, and his social skills were such that he created an island for himself. His presence on this forum became increasingly toxic, and some of us called him out for his undiplomatic approach to interacting with others. He was eventually banned.

I just thought he was a rude asshole.

But Nathan saw something else that I don't think any of us saw. He saw a person who may have Asperger's Syndrome, autism or something like it. I've worked with 'work experience' students afflicted with Asperger's, and know a little about it. Although the desire to be a part of a community is strong, the ability to empathize and 'get' where people are at is absent. This leads to a great deal of frustration which inevitably compounds the issues relating to social interactions.

Nathan defended this fellow, and went as far as he could to keep him in the fold. Unfortunately, as so many people who are affected by these 'syndromes' do, this guy eventually lost his chance at being a part of this small community.

I think it took empathy and a rare strength of character for Nathan to put himself between this young man, and those he unintentionally and inevitably created conflict with.

We all share this interest in cutlery, but what we share that trumps all is our humanity. I like working with Nathan, (and Jo of course) because of the character and sincere humanity which shows itself time and again. The basis for this is empathy and understanding, and if you know where to look, you can actually identify where this empathy is manifest in the products that CPK creates.

4sL3NxZ.jpg

GOorOXm.jpg

Is that Gayle Bradley next to Dr. K?

Did we miss Nathan's Birthday last August, 20th I believe? Or was it the Alcohol (and other substances many of us use). NinJo how old is Sir Nathan? EDIT: Nevermind about the age, I know the Standard answer after 30:p

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hb-mr-c.1514769/#post-17392641

Another Edit! Nathan helped me out a few months back, not going into any of the details, but
he didn't have to do it;) I Owe him one

Last edited:
Is that Gayle Bradley next to Dr. K?

Gayle Bradley...yeah, great guy and all, but holy crap! Look at that Shiv laying on the table unclaimed! How many hundreds of people walked past that? Lol. Different time.

Nathan gets enough love here that I didn’t anticipate adding to this thread. But I just read yet another very educational thread where it struck me how passionate he his about his work. Again. Kind of like the time I asked him why he used screws to attach the handle scales (hint:they’re not screws!). I got a near tongue lashing for that one, but an education in excellence also. ;)

I really do appreciate those who care about the quality of their work and show a passion for it. It is an increasingly rare trait anymore, so it really stands out when you find it.

:thumbsup:

Back