The ideal multi-tool for travel abroad.

I'm planning a two-week trip to the Czech Republic later this year, and I'm trying to decide which multi-tool to take along. I definitely subscribe to a minimalist approach as far as what I'm bringing with me, so I'd like to cover as many bases as I can while keeping weight as low as possible. I have large hands so I don't want anything microscopic, but on the other hand my Leatherman SuperTool 300 is a bit too bulky for this excursion.

I currently own a Vic One Hand Trekker, Leatherman Wave, (the aforementioned) Leatherman SuperTool 300, and a Vic Farmer. I'm not against buying a new multi before I depart, and I welcome your recommendations! I don't expect any situations where heavy duty work is involved, but you never know..

Sort of depends on what you will be doing on your trip. If your journey takes you to a wilderness, the OH Trekker would be my first choice, local regulations permitting, otherwise the Farmer. For urban use, the Wave is the most versatile. But any of them would be an asset in any situation you find yourself in.

Last edited:
I'd go with either the Wave, or if there is a risk of loss, grab a Rebar. But realistically I think the wave has your best mix of "what-if"s covered.

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new multi-tool. The addiction is real!

I'm considering the Leatherman Skeletool or the Skeletool CX. Lightweight, functional, and that belt clip is a HUGE plus.

Yeah, like znaps said, it depends on what you plan to be doing.

I've always found that the 4 leathermans I've owned were more suited for the "work" situation. Such as construction, DIY, demolition etc. the 5 SAKs I've owned seem to perform better in the EDC, travel, outdoors, camping, hiking depending on the particular SAK.

So I'd take the wave with me if I were going somewhere that I think I might need to do some work on my accommodations, or maybe needing to assist on a vehicle repair in the middle of nowhere. I.e. Third world country traveling. I'd take the SAK OHT if it were a hiking/camping trip, maybe paired with a small classic. But if I were traveling in urban/city location, perhaps something else completely like a SAK compact or explorer plus.

My wife is Czech and I've spent a ton of time there over the years. First things first: Regarding local laws/regulations ........ Carry whatever you want. They don't care. Next, I'd probably take the SAK of your choice and augment it with a small pair of needlenose pliers to keep in your day pack. Another option would be a Leatherman Skeletool. Lastly, you might also consider an Opinel no. 8 or 9 for on-the-go food prep.

Last edited:
the skeletool (I'd go for the CX) and a bit kit will cover a bunch of minor stuff, but the skeletool pliers are about half way between the juice and the rebar/wave size. so not heavy duty really. the skeletool makes a great folder that has pliers, rather than pliers that have a knife on them. If that makes any sense. I'd still be looking at the wave for the what-ifs. I carry the skeletool because I can be pretty confident of what I might need it for.

I stopped bringing pliers-based multitools on trips. I never use the pliers. That really leaves the Farmer or the OHT, which are both great choices, although what I often end up using frequently is scissors. Given that fact, consider a Vic Huntsman, or its big brother, the Outrider. Incidentally, the Outrider is the knife I have brought on every trip I have gone on for the last 18 years.

This past summer I took a cross country trip from Oregon to North Carolina. My only knife/multitool was a victorinox pioneer. It did everything from opening packages, to opening cans and bottles, to preparing food and all other regular cutting tasks that I came across. There was one time where my copilot needed scissors, fortunately I had some nearby. So, if I were to make such a voyage again I'd probably pack my huntsman, or hopefully a pioneer x!

If your trip is not too close, you might be able to buy online a Pioneer X, have it delivered to your hotel (or any place you'll be staying), find it there when you land, and carry it around.
New knife, useful tool, nice memory to bring home with you.

:cool:

Some great feedback guys! The problem with the "it depends what you'll be doing" question I've been asked is, I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing. We'll be in Prague for a week (typical EDC needs), but we'll also be spending a week on a farm on the outskirts on a tiny town in the Czech countryside. There won't be any heavy duty outdoorsman type activity, but beyond that anything is possible.

I've been carrying my Farmer around for the past few days and really like how relatively slim and pocket-friendly it is. I imagine scissors would be more of a travel necessity than a saw, so the Pioneer-X would be the ideal candidate at the moment. (Side note: Good god I love alox scales!). The suggestion of having the tool shipped to my hotel to meet me on arrival is awesome and it'd make me feel like James Bond, but with my luck it'd get re-rerouted to Madagascar or something.

Does anyone know when the Pioneer-X is arriving in North America? My trip is in late June so I'm hoping before then. I've searched around but haven't found much credible info on this..

I stopped bringing pliers-based multitools on trips. I never use the pliers. That really leaves the Farmer or the OHT, which are both great choices, although what I often end up using frequently is scissors. Given that fact, consider a Vic Huntsman, or its big brother, the Outrider. Incidentally, the Outrider is the knife I have brought on every trip I have gone on for the last 18 years.

That Outrider looks AWESOME!!!

Hi statesevens, I'm form Czech Republic and live in Prague. It would be great, If you would like to meet for a knife chat (and one beer...maybe three ;) ). If You dont want to risk your knife get confiscated on the airport I can buy a knife for you here and give it to you after your arrival or just lead you to one of the local knife shops.

Last edited:
Hi statesevens, I'm form Czech Republic and live in Prague. It would be great, If you would like to meet for a knife chat (and one beer...maybe three ;) ). If You dont want to risk your knife get confiscated on the airport I can buy a knife for you here and give it to you after your arrival or just lead you to one of the local knife shops.

That's a great offer! I will get in touch with you closer to the trip.

Check out the Národní nožířství knife shop at Národní 43 downtown. Neat shop for browsing (but don't expect to find any bargains compared to U.S. prices).

Awesome! Thanks very much. I will have a look..

You looking for one-your-person carry, or in a day pack carry?

Definitely on-my-person. I plan on bringing a day pack with me, but I would prefer having a multitool ready to go when I need it. The carabiner belt clip on the Skeletool and CX are a huge plus in my mind for that reason. In-hand within seconds but without taking up pocket space.

If you're going to be carrying/buying an EDC knife anyway, I would recommend either a Leatherman Micra or PS2 Squirt in your off pocket. If you're not going to carry an EDC knife, then the Skeletool. IMO, the Mirca/Squirt offer more tools than the Skeletool and the Skeletool's blade becomes redundant if you already have a knife.

I would personally also pack a light MT in my day pack with full functionality. Juice, Wave something like that.

My personal EDC carry (currently) is Micra, knife and Juice in my pack. That's what I would pack.

If you're going to be carrying/buying an EDC knife anyway, I would recommend either a Leatherman Micra or PS2 Squirt in your off pocket. If you're not going to carry an EDC knife, then the Skeletool. IMO, the Mirca/Squirt offer more tools than the Skeletool and the Skeletool's blade becomes redundant if you already have a knife.

I would personally also pack a light MT in my day pack with full functionality. Juice, Wave something like that.

My personal EDC carry (currently) is Micra, knife and Juice in my pack. That's what I would pack.

An EDC blade might not be on the radar for this trip. Carrying a larger multi in the daypack is a great suggestion! The Wave will definitely be up to that task. Also, the small Leatherman tools you suggested look nice, but I have HUGE hands so the Skeletool is probably as small as I am prepared to go.

Your rotation sounds awesome! Any photos I can see?

I wear XL gloves. One reason I like the Micra is that it can be opened up like this, which gives me a full hand grip. I've done several whittling projects with it like this. The same trick can be used with the screw driver blades too. You can also fold it out in an 'L' for hard screw driving tasks.

Micra whittling by Pinnah, on Flickr

Around town, I rarely need pliers, so I carry the Micra. I carry my EDC knife in my RRP (with a vertical seam sewn in to keep it upright). EDC knife varies with whim. Today it is this because sometimes, bigger is indeed, better. Honestly, the Micra covers 99% of the small tasks.
Schrade 51OT by Pinnah, on Flickr

For backpacking, I use pliers to sew and fix zippers so I trade the Micra for a Squirt. I also don't carry bottled beverages, so no need for the cap lifter.
Outdoor Carry by Pinnah, on Flickr

Around town, I carry day pack of some sort. Each has MT in it. I like the (discontinued) Blast but am experimenting with the smaller Juice currently.

EDC Back Ups by Pinnah, on Flickr

Hope this provides some ideas that are helpful.

I wear XL gloves. One reason I like the Micra is that it can be opened up like this, which gives me a full hand grip. I've done several whittling projects with it like this. The same trick can be used with the screw driver blades too. You can also fold it out in an 'L' for hard screw driving tasks.

Like this:

Back