The "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery" GIVEAWAY!! WINNER ANNOUNCED!!

btb01

Gold Member
I think we can all agree that photographs are one of the things that make the Porch so great. Sure, talking knives is fun, but deep down, what we all really want is to see those beautiful traditional knives. Warm stag, jigged bone, stamped bolsters, the polished blade of a new knife or the well-earned patina on an old carbon blade -- this is the stuff we love to ogle in the pictures shared here (and show off in our own photos). And with the technology available to us these days, it's easier than ever to share quality photos of our knives.

Now there are two specific things that I've noticed about the photos shared here on the Porch. First, we have some excellent photographers. The quality of the photos some of y'all share is just outstanding. Second, there are many members here who have their own distinct style when it comes to the photos they share. Some are so distinct that many of us could identify the member who posted a photo without seeing their username on the post.

Of course, I'm not the first person to notice this. In fact, a few years back, Jack Black Jack Black hosted a GAW in which he asked members to share photos in the style of another member. I didn't find out about this GAW until long after it took place (which was before I ever posted here in Traditionals), but when it was brought to my attention, I enjoyed reading through it and thought it was a fantastic idea.

So, with Jack's blessing, I'm going to borrow his idea and host a giveaway of my own. It's been five years since that GAW (here's the link to Jack's GAW; it's worth looking through), and we've gained many new members since then, so I think we can have a lot of fun with this.

Here are the Rules:
  • Entrants should be regular contributors here on the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades sub-forum. I'm not going put a number on it, but if you just joined the last week, or have only posted on the Porch a handful of times (or only post in GAW threads), this isn't for you.
  • Post a photo of a traditional knife in the style of another regular member here. It doesn't have to be perfect, but try your best and have fun with it. Please include the members username so we know whose photos you're imitating.
  • Feel free to post more than once. If you post photos imitating more than one member, I'll give you a second entry into the GAW. (Two will be the max number of entries, but you can post as many photo tributes as you'd like.)
  • I don't mind if there are duplicate contributions imitating the same member. I think seeing various takes on the same member's photo style could be fun. That said, let's not have everyone using the same one or two members.
  • Even if you don't want to be considered for the prize, please feel free to participate anyways. In other words, "Not an entry" posts are welcome. (But come on, you know it's more fun to be in it to win it!)
The Prize:

I know that, compared to those giveaways that only require an "I'm in," this one requires a bit of work on your part, so I tried to choose a prize that would be interesting and hopefully desirable enough to encourage you to put in the effort. Up for grabs is a 2007 GEC-produced Schrade Large Trapper in Brown Pick Bone, Serial No. 139 (1 of 400). Although this knife was made in the early stages of GEC, the fit & finish are really quite nice. I bought two of these and was impressed with them both.

To start this thing off, I thought I'd share a couple photos of the knife up for grabs in the style of my friend @paulhilborn (admittedly an easy target, especially when there's still a bit of snow on the deck :D).

NehR1mM.jpg

TLlvt90.jpg

6mgNNr7.jpg

I think this has the potential to be a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to your submissions. I'll let this run for a couple weeks, to give everyone time to come up with ideas and take the photos. (If you need inspiration, I'd recommend browsing some of the more picture-heavy threads -- What are ya totin' today, Traditional Sunday Picture Show, etc.) I'll plan on drawing the winner on Sunday, March 3rd.

Back