Little DI Burl:

KSpjw1W.jpg

onRKHJO.jpg

And some more:

llR109S.jpg

brEYFGx.jpg

- nice one, Dylan :thumbsup:

Hope you’re well

Yes, it’s such an awesome wood in so many ways. As well as collecting knives, I’m unable to resist a good piece of wood too. Have collected much Des-ir over the years only to realise it gradually darkens with age, nothing I’ve heard of can be done to reverse the process sadly. Having said that, I’ve one or two blocks that glisten in the light, look and feel gold........well, you know what I mean.

Too late now, will post some pics tomorrow

- nice one, Dylan :thumbsup:

Hope you’re well

Yes, it’s such an awesome wood in so many ways. As well as collecting knives, I’m unable to resist a good piece of wood too. Have collected much Des-ir over the years only to realise it gradually darkens with age, nothing I’ve heard of can be done to reverse the process sadly. Having said that, I’ve one or two blocks that glisten in the light, look and feel gold........well, you know what I mean.

Too late now, will post some pics tomorrow

Many woods are photo-reactive, becoming lighter or darker with exposure to light. There is little, if anything, that can be done to stop the process but the original color can be temporarily restored by sanding the surface. That’s easier to do with some objects than others. For many knives, unfortunately, it’s not so easy because the sanding will remove material, altering the shape/size of the wood. Keeping the knife away from light would slow the process, but that’s not practical for users.

Many woods are photo-reactive, becoming lighter or darker with exposure to light. There is little, if anything, that can be done to stop the process but the original color can be temporarily restored by sanding the surface. That’s easier to do with some objects than others. For many knives, unfortunately, it’s not so easy because the sanding will remove material, altering the shape/size of the wood. Keeping the knife away from light would slow the process, but that’s not practical for users.

- my own experiences with Des-Ir appear to illustrate it is not just light sensitive, but oxygen sensitive too, for, I have some locked away in pouches deep in a safe and they have darkened over the years without doubt

- my own experiences with Des-Ir appear to illustrate it is not just light sensitive, but oxygen sensitive too, for, I have some locked away in pouches deep in a safe and they have darkened over the years without doubt
Thanks. I can’t disagree with what you’ve observed. As an aside, are any of the surfaces able to be experimentally sanded without causing damage? (Not that that would be a solution). You might try wrapping a new knife or two in the type of foil used for heat treating to confirm that if both light and air are excluded darkening does not occur. Again, not exactly a solution, except for storage.

88-E446-EA-77-C7-4474-A54-A-BE678-B915-EEC.jpg

I wasn't able to get this SFO when it dropped, and I've been waiting for one to come at a reasonable price. Finally scored! The 78s were one of the best runs in recent years--perfect size, great action, a wide variety of excellent covers and shields. Really glad to have gotten one.

Thanks. I can’t disagree with what you’ve observed. As an aside, are any of the surfaces able to be experimentally sanded without causing damage? (Not that that would be a solution). You might try wrapping a new knife or two in the type of foil used for heat treating to confirm that if both light and air are excluded darkening does not occur. Again, not exactly a solution, except for storage.

- don't think its darkening is anywhere near as fast as exposure to light. They are in pouches deep in a dark safe so can't imagine anything else will assist, just the way it is I guess..!

Have tried rubbing down some blanks I have and doesn't seem to make a difference.

I really like ironwood scales on a knife. Dave, your knives are gorgeous!

Pictured below is a custom SAK Pioneer I did with a titanium frame and bolsters and ironwood scales, a kit fixed blade with ironwood and a Boker scout with ironwood.
View attachment 1262544

Thanks! Looks like ya did pretty alright your ownself!

Dave, It is always a pleasure to see your knives and your sheaths and your chaps and your belts and anything else you make. Your photos are always great also.

Dave, It is always a pleasure to see your knives and your sheaths and your chaps and your belts and anything else you make. Your photos are always great also.
Thank you sir!

Back