The Itch

BP_

Platinum Member
Anyone else had it lately...?

Wanting a new Buck. I know I’m going to pick up an Alaskan Guide 692. I’ve missed it since I sold it, back when I didn’t think I cared much about it. But I’ve still got an itch that the Vanguard won’t scratch...

Especially after the other steel thread I started. I want a new 110. But can’t decide wether or not to go custom, custom shop, or standard with the new ebony handles...

I know it’s entirely up to me, I know. But it would be nice to see some variations and hear some suggestions... different materials and such holding up to different using conditions...

I’m pretty set on either 420HC or maybe something in S30V if I step it up a notch... but I’m really not as concerned with blade steel as I am with design/material. I don’t collect 110’s, I have several, but there are so many variations my little pea brain just can’t pick a good brand new user :D:confused::rolleyes:

Anyone else had it lately...?

Wanting a new Buck. I know I’m going to pick up an Alaskan Guide 692. I’ve missed it since I sold it, back when I didn’t think I cared much about it. But I’ve still got an itch that the Vanguard won’t scratch...

Especially after the other steel thread I started. I want a new 110. But can’t decide wether or not to go custom, custom shop, or standard with the new ebony handles...

I know it’s entirely up to me, I know. But it would be nice to see some variations and hear some suggestions... different materials and such holding up to different using conditions...

I’m pretty set on either 420HC or maybe something in S30V if I step it up a notch... but I’m really not as concerned with blade steel as I am with design/material. I don’t collect 110’s, I have several, but there are so many variations my little pea brain just can’t pick a good brand new user :D:confused::rolleyes:
I went through this thought process a while back and it came down to the question of what would do the best for my EDC needs: Light weight, good looks, good steel, and robust blade profile. I went with the aluminum framed 110 from SK Blades in the S30V drop point blade with red micarta scales. I have written in this subforum pretty thoroughly about how pleased I have been with the decision. I am not always 100% thrilled with S30V as it can be frustrating to sharpen when I'm not at my best, but it really has been an outstanding knife for utility tasks, game (small game only so far), emergency (had to free a haltered horse hung up on a fencepost), and food prep. Now I've never broken the tip off of a clip point 110, so I knew I wouldn't need the drop point, but I thought with the light weight I'd be willing to carry this hiking and it would do the job for light bushcraft and I'll do some of that this Spring.

So that's my two cents. Read my review for more detail. I've enjoyed a full metal-framed 110 that is lighter than the traditional brass and has some brighter color than the usual ebony. I still love my original 110s, of course, and the original steels are hard to beat, but I reach for the aluminum 110 first.

Now if only they'd make this in an automatic!!

J5F5UTk.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
I went through this thought process a while back and it came down to the question of what would do the best for my EDC needs: Light weight, good looks, good steel, and robust blade profile. I went with the aluminum framed 110 from SK Blades in the S30V drop point blade with red micarta scales. I have written in this subforum pretty thoroughly about how pleased I have been with the decision. I am not always 100% thrilled with S30V as it can be frustrating to sharpen when I'm not at my best, but it really has been an outstanding knife for utility tasks, game (small game only so far), emergency (had to free a haltered horse hung up on a fencepost), and food prep. Now I've never broken the tip off of a clip point 110, so I knew I wouldn't need the drop point, but I thought with the light weight I'd be willing to carry this hiking and it would do the job for light bushcraft and I'll do some of that this Spring.

So that's my two cents. Read my review for more detail. I've enjoyed a full metal-framed 110 that is lighter than the traditional brass and has some brighter color than the usual ebony. I still love my original 110s, of course, and the original steels are hard to beat, but I reach for the aluminum 110 first.

J5F5UTk.jpg

Zieg

PS: The scratches in the aluminum buff out nicely with a fine Scotchbrite pad and it dings and gouges less easily than brass, if you're concerned about aesthetics.

Reactions: BP_
yep. understand that feeling.

consider the Alaskan guide 110, if ya dont have one......I got one and well you already know the coating advantages and how pretty it is in person. while pics make it look like it is just a black coating.

15788597939991901717493516264090.jpg

I had never considered the aluminum handle. How does it compare durability wise? How much lighter are they? I find that interesting, and something to consider. I’d always assumed traditional weight/heft. I enjoy it. But slightly lighter would not be bad.

That is good to know about the bolsters. I’ve been eyeing a possible NS pickup and wondered how those survived in the real world as well.

yep. understand that feeling.

consider the Alaskan guide 110, if ya dont have one......I got one and well you already know the coating advantages and how pretty it is in person. while pics make it look like it is just a black coating.

View attachment 1266752

I had a couple of those I picked up for really good prices. I ended up getting rid of them because that black blade, as pretty as it is, just doesn’t do it for me on the 110. I love it on the Vanguard... go figure. I also really liked the tone of the scales on the AG 110’s. Just could not get past that black blade as a user. I sure do love admiring them though. It’s a very handsome coating and mine were done very well indeed.

View attachment 1266757
Aluminum 110 420hc with pocket clip.
This fits nice in my back pocket next to my wallet.
It's light, sturdy and easy to sharpen.

But an ebony 110 with finger grooves is always cool. And not so expensive you worry about it, yet pretty enough to admire.
Just my 2 cents.

That is a very, very nice configuration. I really have been loving the ebony 110’s as well. I’m sure I’ll have one either way at some point. What kind of handle material is that?

I had never considered the aluminum handle. How does it compare durability wise? How much lighter are they? I find that interesting, and something to consider. I’d always assumed traditional weight/heft. I enjoy it. But slightly lighter would not be bad.

That is good to know about the bolsters. I’ve been eyeing a possible NS pickup and wondered how those survived in the real world as well.
Just as durable as brass. Trad 110 = 7.45oz. Aluminum framed 110 = 4.25oz.

Zieg

That is a very, very nice configuration. I really have been loving the ebony 110’s as well. I’m sure I’ll have one either way at some point. What kind of handle material is that?
I can't recall.
JB has one, maybe his memory is better than mine.
I really do like the weight. And it just feels more durable than the Slim's.

Edit.
I think it's black micarta.

Last edited:
Don't forget SK Blades "Smoke Jumper" and whatever they call their blue SFO 110 LT's.

Both have CPM154 blades. The Smoke Jumper (red handle) has a clip point, while the blue one has a drop point.
Then C&C has the 110 with 5160 carbon steel blades, complete with a couple different cover choices.
You know you want (or "need") one of those ...

To ease the itch (can the itch ever be eliminated?) pick up the "new" ebony handled one, during your next visit to/at Wally's. :)

(You're Welcome. :D )

Last edited:

I can't recall.
JB has one, maybe his memory is better than mine.
I really do like the weight. And it just feels more durable than the Slim's.

black micarta. one of my personal favorite for the light weight, full size and pocket clip..

Now that you say it, I can see the micarta. I think it is a combination of my eyes and my phone screen that do not get along. Very nice.

I think I will pick up an ebony next time I’m out. How could I not. But now I’m looking at those aluminum 110’s because the are so light without sacrificing that “durable” feel.

Have several slims, both 110 & 112. Those are good little knives. They mostly live in their boxes, but I take them out occasionally.

Those are some nice 118’s
I don’t know that I could narrow myself down to a particular model... maybe three or four or more :D

An aluminum frame 110
A new ebony 110

I think those might scratch the January itch. Good thing there’s only a few more weeks until February. Then I’ll be using that month as an excuse to get a birthday knife :thumbsup:

Is aluminum and ebony still an option? I see it’s sold out where I looked. Only aluminum and micarta remain. Just curious.

An aluminum frame 110
A new ebony 110

I think those might scratch the January itch. Good thing there’s only a few more weeks until February. Then I’ll be using that month as an excuse to get a birthday knife :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: good picks there.....

no on the ebony and aluminum. was a dealer exclusive. believe all the aluminum 110s were with them. they may reorder and restock but some times they dont if they arent good sellers. best to call and ask them I would think.

The brass and wood model weighs 7.3oz, and the Aluminum and wood model weighs 4.4oz.

I went ahead and reached out to them. Maybe I’ll get lucky. Maybe not. Half the fun is the hunt anyway. Thank you sir

That is a pretty significant weight difference. It will be nice to feel the difference once I get them in hand. :thumbsup:

Back