The "I've Been Here a Year and I Appreciate You" GAW ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***

First waverave waverave Thank you Darren for the great GAW! And Prester John Prester John , Thanks for the nomination Vince!
These are both great examples of what makes this such a wonderful place. I initially found the porch trying to Google information about Rough Rider. I had bought a RR (cant remember now if it was the daddy barlow or sodbuster), I had never heard of the brand. Well I just looked and WOW I've been here a year as well, I've actually passed my join date May 16:eek: Hard to believe. One year ago I had 2-3 traditional knives, now I'm nearing 100! ( Y'all a buncha enablers ;) ) This place is a sanctuary from a increasingly mad world. I have been so blessed with just the great atmosphere here. I have also been VERY blessed to been the recipient of some fine gifts from members here, and won a couple GAW's as well. I've learned so much here, and I do my best to share into the world our collective passion. To that end I gave nothing but traditional knives as Christmas gifts this past Christmas, maybe fuel the traditional spark in someone else. Well I figure Vice already entered me, so I'll not enter directly. I also feel as I've been here a year as well and been so blessed with wonderful gifts from other members. It's time to pay it forward, to that end I would like to ask Darren if I could join in the Giveaway portion?

Last edited:
If you mean add something to the giveaway...then heck yeah :) What did you have in mind?

Yeah I want to Giveaway something to, I've been on a year as well, thought maybe I could join in. I've been very blessed with several gifts from friends here, so I want to honor that by joining in the anniversary fun! Let's see I'll add 2 knives to the prize, a dark blue bone Boker Congress, it's a great knife. I just dont seem to carry it often. It's a user but in excellent shape, some minor pepper spots from use. And a Parker Cut Co curved barlow, reddish brown jigged bone covers, I recently acquired this one in a lot of barlow's I picked up. It was unused with a factory edge. I did sharpen it, and carried a few times. To be up front the pen blade runs off center, rubs the liner a little bit.
Y8R2O7b.jpg

Here's a bad photo, best I can do tonight, I'll take a better one tomorrow in natural light.
If I should win via Vince's nomination, these will go to Vince as a thank you gesture. Hopefully everyone be ok with that :). And now Darren you can enter your own GAW to win my prizes if you like:D

ywnwxf0.jpg
lKaPHky.jpg
GBuQtb8.jpg
B2UFxYt.jpg
1ayVibz.jpg
WZJ7OzQ.jpg

Better pics of the knives I'm adding to the prize pool.

Last edited:
An incredibly generous giveaway!

This forum means a lot to me as well. I am not in the best if medical health these days, so coming to this forum was first out of doing research for a hobby, then it became a big part of my social life, and now I've made some great friends!

I would pick the #73.
I have also been on the receiving end of generosity here, so if I win, please give it to someone who has shown much generosity here as well, Dave @dc50 .

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your health Dennis. It is nice to have a place like this where you can socialize a little and be among like-minded friends...especially if it is difficult to do that in-person. Very generous to nominate Dave good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, this is very generous of you. I have certainly enjoyed your input on the Porch. I will put in for the #73, but not for myself. I would like to nominate my friend David, Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly , to receive the knife if I win.

Discovered BladeForums, and more specifically, "the Porch", when I was researching pocket knives last year. Enjoyed the discussions and decided to join. It's a great place to relax, especially at the end of the day, and share pictures, information, and stories with friends from all over the world. I like that we can come together although we are from vastly different backgrounds. Right now, I am planning to retire to my literal back porch with some bourbon and a cigar, and my iPhone so I can catch up on some threads here.

Vince
Thanks Vince :) That sounds like a great plan enjoy sir :thumbsup:

Very generous of you! Thank you very much.
I can’t resist that #73.

The Porch is really a breath of fresh air in today’s world. Great people who all have a love & mutual respect for traditional knives. It’s amazing what I have learned here. Not just about traditional knives, but the people who carry them. I will probably never meet most the people here, but they make you feel like family. Your GAW is the essence of what makes this place so great. Truly a great place to hang out.
A breath of fresh air is a great way to describe it :) That is exactly how I felt when I found this place. I think, at that time, I was really frustrated with life and had lost some bit of hope for humanity based on bad experiences and things going on in the world around me. The timing was just right and it was, indeed, a breath of fresh air to find this place. Thanks for posting and good luck :thumbsup:

Thank you Darren for all you have given and continue to give to the porch. From day one you have been kind, thoughtful, eager to help and very generous. You are appreciated my friend. Great knives you are giving away! This is not an entry as I have won HUGE the past 12 months. Good luck to all!

Edit - I forgot to answer your request. I found this place while looking for sodbuster history. Trevytrev's thread. The porch had a tremendously soothing and calming effect at an emotionally tumultuous time dealing with my ailing father. I have discovered in this place an oasis. Knowledge, Kindness, A Museum of Traditional Cutlery, Friendship and limitless generosity.
Thank you for the kind words Dwight :) Sounds like you found the Porch at the right time as well.

I'd be in for the 78.

I ended up coming onto the Porch because one of my friends directed me here. J. Oeser, a great custom maker.

He was the first Bladeforums member I actually met in person, and a great guy, and amazing maker.

I've made plenty of friends on here, in multiple countries.

This sub forum has really brought my knife collection and use full circle. Back to the slipjoints of my youth! I appreciate the slipjoints and fixed blades I inherited from my grandpa.
Very cool friend to lead you here :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Whoosh... I'm a long winded poster and this is gonna bring that out so um ya know... :)

I've always been a knife guy. Always. I've been known in my family as the knife guy since I was the knife kid. I'm also a function over form guy and appreciate practicality. So, while I did wade into the modern knife world, it was still with that bent. Too many super steels and horrible blade grinds and spiffy flipping action and razzoo scales and the strongest lock ever and ... Bluck! When did knives not become knives?

I've been on "forums" of all the various iterations since the 90's and for many years moderated a large firearms forum. I loved that forum and those guns and so many people there and actually often posted about knives but...That ended up going nuts with a sale of the forum and some fellas started up a small forum but my computer crashed and time and life and well...I was sans forum for awhile.

I'd visited BF over the years but just never settled in. I've always felt like something of an outcast in the knife world since all the latest trends didn't appeal to me. But eventually I joined and started dipping my toe in.

Then, in my frustration with all the offerings out there that just didn't fit my desires for a casual EDC knife, I posted here to the porch. I was all a-skeeeered of slip joints. I am by no means a lock snob but a slip joint? Man, I just couldn't take the leap and more or less said so. Well, that thread sparked some good conversation and I jumped in.

And wow, I've got a passel of Traditionals sitting next to me now. Some are back locks and the rest slippies. I've fallen in love with Case's offerings as they drive right down my highway. But I've also got a soft spot for French knives and although I only own one, I'm saving up for more.

I am having so much fun with these knives right now! Blade shapes, single blades, same-end or opposing-end blade options, how many blades(?), small, medium, large, carbon or stainless, what scale material, and on and on...

This is what I've always been searching for.

I love the pictures and the inputs and the kindness.

For weeks I've been pondering a post about the intangible value of these knives.

I've been blessed more than I deserve this week so I won't enter for myself.

There are so many great folks here that one feels hesitant to mention any specific names for fear of not mentioning others equally deserving.

I'd like to nominate Prester John Prester John for the first one. He's always here with likes and nice comments and great pictures and well... John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara? That breaks all the ties.

Thank you everyone.

:)
Funny how things work out right? I think a lot us were only into moderns before finally testing the waters and then things get slippery from there :) I still have many moderns and carry them every day along with my traditionals...but my passion for traditionals is exponentially greater. Thanks for the great post! Generous of you to nominate Vince good luck :thumbsup:

Very generous Gaw. I enjoy spending time on the porch mostly perusing and the people here are second to none. It can really renew your faith that there are still a lot of good people in the world. I would like to nominate redsparrow please.
There is much to peruse :) One could spend many hours, or days more like it, just reading through threads and looking at photos. This place is a real treasure vault of traditional knives and their history. Thank you sir for your entry and nominating @redsparrow good luck :thumbsup:

If I should win via Vince's nomination, these will go to Vince as a thank you gesture. Hopefully everyone be ok with that :). And now Darren you can enter your own GAW to win my prizes if you like:D
Thank you sir but I am only looking to give things away at this time and wouldn't feel right winning anything :) I'll send you a message :thumbsup:

Whoosh... I'm a long winded poster and this is gonna bring that out so um ya know... :)

I've always been a knife guy. Always. I've been known in my family as the knife guy since I was the knife kid. I'm also a function over form guy and appreciate practicality. So, while I did wade into the modern knife world, it was still with that bent. Too many super steels and horrible blade grinds and spiffy flipping action and razzoo scales and the strongest lock ever and ... Bluck! When did knives not become knives?

I've been on "forums" of all the various iterations since the 90's and for many years moderated a large firearms forum. I loved that forum and those guns and so many people there and actually often posted about knives but...That ended up going nuts with a sale of the forum and some fellas started up a small forum but my computer crashed and time and life and well...I was sans forum for awhile.

I'd visited BF over the years but just never settled in. I've always felt like something of an outcast in the knife world since all the latest trends didn't appeal to me. But eventually I joined and started dipping my toe in.

Then, in my frustration with all the offerings out there that just didn't fit my desires for a casual EDC knife, I posted here to the porch. I was all a-skeeeered of slip joints. I am by no means a lock snob but a slip joint? Man, I just couldn't take the leap and more or less said so. Well, that thread sparked some good conversation and I jumped in.

And wow, I've got a passel of Traditionals sitting next to me now. Some are back locks and the rest slippies. I've fallen in love with Case's offerings as they drive right down my highway. But I've also got a soft spot for French knives and although I only own one, I'm saving up for more.

I am having so much fun with these knives right now! Blade shapes, single blades, same-end or opposing-end blade options, how many blades(?), small, medium, large, carbon or stainless, what scale material, and on and on...

This is what I've always been searching for.

I love the pictures and the inputs and the kindness.

For weeks I've been pondering a post about the intangible value of these knives.

I've been blessed more than I deserve this week so I won't enter for myself.

There are so many great folks here that one feels hesitant to mention any specific names for fear of not mentioning others equally deserving.

I'd like to nominate Prester John Prester John for the first one. He's always here with likes and nice comments and great pictures and well... John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara? That breaks all the ties.

Thank you everyone.

:)
Thanks for the nomination, Eli. Very kind of you.

Yeah I want to Giveaway something to, I've been on a year as well, thought maybe I could join in. I've been very blessed with several gifts from friends here, so I want to honor that by joining in the anniversary fun! Let's see I'll add 2 knives to the prize, a dark blue bone Boker Congress, it's a great knife. I just dont seem to carry it often. It's a user but in excellent shape, some minor pepper spots from use. And a Parker Cut Co curved barlow, reddish brown jigged bone covers, I recently acquired this one in a lot of barlow's I picked up. It was unused with a factory edge. I did sharpen it, and carried a few times. To be up front the pen blade runs off center, rubs the liner a little bit.
Y8R2O7b.jpg

Here's a bad photo, best I can do tonight, I'll take a better one tomorrow in natural light.
Thanks for the nomination, David. Barlows and Congresses are pretty cool.

Darren, WOW! This is very nice of you to host such a generous giveaway. You have certainly been a welcomed addition around here, and we appreciate you as well. I’ve been affected by many helpful, and selfless, members here. I would hate to attempt to mention them all, in fear of missing someone. One member here who has really came through for me, on more than one occasion, is Railsplitter Railsplitter . So, I would like to nominate him. I think the 73 would be a nice addition for him. -Lance

Haven't you always been here Daren?! :confused: Congratulations on the impending milestone my friend, and thank you for running this generous giveaway, with two outstanding prizes :) Not an entry from me please, but just wanted to say thanks, and to wish everyone good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, WOW! This is very nice of you to host such a generous giveaway. You have certainly been a welcomed addition around here, and we appreciate you as well. I’ve been affected by many helpful, and selfless, members here. I would hate to attempt to mention them all, in fear of missing someone. One member here who has really came through for me, on more than one occasion, is Railsplitter Railsplitter . So, I would like to nominate him. I think the 73 would be a nice addition for him. -Lance
Thanks Lance I appreciate that :) Thanks for your entry and for nominating Railsplitter Railsplitter good luck :thumbsup:

Haven't you always been here Daren?! :confused: Congratulations on the impending milestone my friend, and thank you for running this generous giveaway, with two outstanding prizes :) Not an entry from me please, but just wanted to say thanks, and to wish everyone good luck :thumbsup:
Thank you kindly Jack :)

I do like the #78.

I m in.

Darren, thanks for the GAW and all the valuable information you provide to the members here.
Thank you sir and good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, I just wanted to say thank you for being on our forum. Your presence here during your first year has been a great addition. Your many posts and contributions have made this a better place for all of us. I will have to admit the 230 acquisitions is most impressive my friend! :eek: Those are two great knives you’ve put up as prizes. I have examples of each pattern and they are great knives. This is not an entry for myself, if this entry is picked I would like the #73 to go to Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly . David, like yourself, is a newer member whom I think has made many contributions to our forum home. Thanks Darren and good luck to all the entrants! :thumbsup: :D

Darren, I just wanted to say thank you for being on our forum. Your presence here during your first year has been a great addition. Your many posts and contributions have made this a better place for all of us. I will have to admit the 230 acquisitions is most impressive my friend! :eek: Those are two great knives you’ve put up as prizes. I have examples of each pattern and they are great knives. This is not an entry for myself, if this entry is picked I would like the #73 to go to Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly . David, like yourself, is a newer member whom I think has made many contributions to our forum home. Thanks Darren and good luck to all the entrants! :thumbsup: :D

Thank you for the nomination! I've also entered prizes to be won! I had realized I to have been here a year as of May. I've been a recipient of some fine generosity here, so I'd like to give some back:):thumbsup:

(I kinda got all excited and jumped on Darren's band wagon,grabbed some cymbals and went to town)

I’d love a shot at the Scout. I must say I find The Porch a refreshing change from most of the other sections of this forum. It is free from the bickering and negativity that is unfortunately more and more common these days. I also love that it harkens back to a simpler time. This sub-forum has kindled my on-again Off-again romance with Traditional knives and therefore has my eternal gratitude. Thanks for a wonderful and generous GAW, more of what makes The Porch so great.

Not an entry ... but congrats on your 1 year mark ... and on finding one of the better subforums on here ... great GAW:thumbsup:

Thanks Ron I really appreciate that :) Looking back, it $eem$ fooli$h, but tho$e 230 acqui$ition$ were a lot of fun :)
I appreciate you and your nomination for David good luck :thumbsup:

I’d love a shot at the Scout. I must say I find The Porch a refreshing change from most of the other sections of this forum. It is free from the bickering and negativity that is unfortunately more and more common these days. I also love that it harkens back to a simpler time. This sub-forum has kindled my on-again Off-again romance with Traditional knives and therefore has my eternal gratitude. Thanks for a wonderful and generous GAW, more of what makes The Porch so great.
I really don't even browse the other sub-forums anymore (except for the exchange of course). It is hard enough just to keep up with the Guardian's thread here :) If I am going to spend some online time somewhere...I'll choose the Porch every time! Thanks for your entry good luck :thumbsup:

Not an entry ... but congrats on your 1 year mark ... and on finding one of the better subforums on here ... great GAW:thumbsup:
Thank you sir I appreciate that :)

Thank you for the nomination! I've also entered prizes to be won! I had realized I to have been here a year as of May. I've been a recipient of some fine generosity here, so I'd like to give some back:):thumbsup:

(I kinda got all excited and jumped on Darren's band wagon,grabbed some cymbals and went to town)
You’re welcome David! Good luck and thanks for your contributions to this place we all love! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron I really appreciate that :) Looking back, it $eem$ fooli$h, but tho$e 230 acqui$ition$ were a lot of fun :)
I appreciate you and your nomination for David good luck :thumbsup:
You’re welcome Darren! I know they had to be fun! ;) Thanks again and good luck to David! :thumbsup: :D

Y8R2O7b.jpg

ywnwxf0.jpg
lKaPHky.jpg
GBuQtb8.jpg
B2UFxYt.jpg
1ayVibz.jpg
WZJ7OzQ.jpg

Better pics of the knives I'm adding to the prize pool.
David my friend , those are both some very appealing knives . Whoever gets them should be very pleased .:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

Last edited:
Back