The "I've Been Here a Year and I Appreciate You" GAW ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***

What a generous GAW. I'm in for the 73. This is an extremely welcoming, generous, and flat out down to earth section of BF, and I'm very glad to be part of it. Many examples of gifting knives to other porch denizens. I received a yellow Case Trapper through a member here, and when I realized it wasn't for me, sent it on to another member who wanted to try a traditional knife.
The knowledge of traditional knives on the porch is amazing in it's depth, and shared freely. A real sense of camaraderie, and I have yet to encounter any less than polite responses. Except for he who shall remain nameless, that keeps putting his Texas Jack pics into the Cult of the Peanut thread :eek::p

What a generous GAW. I'm in for the 73. This is an extremely welcoming, generous, and flat out down to earth section of BF, and I'm very glad to be part of it. Many examples of gifting knives to other porch denizens. I received a yellow Case Trapper through a member here, and when I realized it wasn't for me, sent it on to another member who wanted to try a traditional knife.
The knowledge of traditional knives on the porch is amazing in it's depth, and shared freely. A real sense of camaraderie, and I have yet to encounter any less than polite responses. Except for he who shall remain nameless, that keeps putting his Texas Jack pics into the Cult of the Peanut thread :eek::p
How dare he who shall remain nameless! :) Glad to see someone else use the COTP banner btw :D Thanks for your entry good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, thank you for your contributions to the Porch. It seems like you’ve been around more than a year! To me this is one of the best places on the whole internet, and shows that civility can exist among people of widely different backgrounds and beliefs.
I’m in! I’d love the 73. Thank you for the generous GAW!

Darren, I've been here just a tad longer than you and have also immensely enjoyed the camaraderie and fellowship of this group, the sharing of knowledge, and the kindness among folks, most of whom have never shaken hands with each other. I'm a moderator on forum for fountain pens and still find time to be here a fair bit, enjoying every moment I spend here. I have plenty of knives but would be happy with either one of the specimens you have volunteered, should my name be drawn. Thanks again for the gesture and for what you contribute to BF! DAVID

Terrific GAW Darren! I stumbled into BF trying to find more information on modern knives . Soon I discovered the traditional forum and knew these were the knives I was looking for. Upon asking some general questions you were one of the first people to reach out to me, I have always appreciated that. The generosity and wealth of knowledge on display here daily makes this a special place that I'm glad to be part of. Thanks for the opportunity, both are great knives, but I do like the 78.

Thanks for the chance at a very generous gaw. I would love to have that American jack.
You're welcome good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, thank you for your contributions to the Porch. It seems like you’ve been around more than a year! To me this is one of the best places on the whole internet, and shows that civility can exist among people of widely different backgrounds and beliefs.
I’m in! I’d love the 73. Thank you for the generous GAW!
Perfectly sums it up thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, I've been here just a tad longer than you and have also immensely enjoyed the camaraderie and fellowship of this group, the sharing of knowledge, and the kindness among folks, most of whom have never shaken hands with each other. I'm a moderator on forum for fountain pens and still find time to be here a fair bit, enjoying every moment I spend here. I have plenty of knives but would be happy with either one of the specimens you have volunteered, should my name be drawn. Thanks again for the gesture and for what you contribute to BF! DAVID
I can only imagine there is a whole world of fountain pens that I know nothing about...probably similar to traditional knives? Various shapes, designs, materials, customs, etc. I don't have any fountain pens but I did have a pen custom made for me in tortoise shell :)
Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Terrific GAW Darren! I stumbled into BF trying to find more information on modern knives . Soon I discovered the traditional forum and knew these were the knives I was looking for. Upon asking some general questions you were one of the first people to reach out to me, I have always appreciated that. The generosity and wealth of knowledge on display here daily makes this a special place that I'm glad to be part of. Thanks for the opportunity, both are great knives, but I do like the 78.
Oh cool I didn't realize that :) It's been a pleasure both here and on FB! Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

I already have several of each pattern and would rather see someone new to these two fine patterns enjoy one.
I think Jeff nominated me for the 78 by saying this, thanks for thinking of me Jeff! ;):D:thumbsup:

There are dozens of reasons that the Porch has become a part of my life, first and foremost, it is a great place to spend my rare free-time with good people and pics of great knives :thumbsup: Secondly, I got so sick of all the negative social communities like FB and deleted those accounts years ago. I was really skeptical about joining BladeForums. But after loitering for about a year I realized the traditional forum is not negative at all and is in fact quite positive thanks to contributors like yourself Darren ;) I didn't think social etiquette was achievable in an online forum but our Porch Mods do a great job keeping the peace and being assertive when needed. Thanks Gary and Frank :):thumbsup: You know you're hooked when you don't log in for a couple days and gotta "pop in" to see what's going on... I love my rocking chair over in the "Old Knives" corner of the Porch ;) Lastly I just think it is cool that I have sent knives to and received knives from places ranging from Oregon to Florida, all because of trades and GAW's like this one from you and the other fine folks on the Porch. It's like I'm a kid again but instead of trading my old baseball cards for my favorite Cubs players I'm trading old Schrades for my favorite Ulster's :D Great GAW Darren :thumbsup:

Wow how cool is that! It must have been a great time meeting up with Charlie in Paris :) And what a memorable way to discover GEC and traditionals. A little off-topic, but are you going to try that zip line they have setup on the Eiffel Tower right now? It looks like a lot of fun :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Hello Darren, You are right, it was a very pleasant way to walk and talk in the streets of Paris .
Charlie is curious to discover discuss and exchange about of cultural, historical and social subjects .
It was great and it's also why I'm so attached to his SFO. They are symbols .
About the zip line of the Eiffel Tower you are better informed thank me . :D. I dont have heard about it :eek:
As I can read it on Internet it's normal because it has been organized for the winners of a game .

All the best :):thumbsup:

Google translate is recommended.
Commonly used Australian adjectives are forbidden and have been excluded in accordance. New Zealanders may understand the language...but thankfully we only have one on board these days unless theres any lurking in the bilge ( thats sure to flush em out)...
Dazza
Maaate!!
You good thing.!
This gaw is the ducks guts.
Mate I'm all for it...happier than a starving dog in butchers shop.
I lobbed in 2006 looking for knowledge on sharpening.
Found the porch and pretty much never left.
Meantime amassed a great collection, forced to retire from a 30 year career as a firey,mentally and physically exhausted.
Been flushed down the gurgler by the by the wife and sons...20th anniversary is today.
Made homeless by the legal system..lost contact with 2 sons..
Clawed my way back from the black stump , found a new love, invested in a new place I call home...got a job driving school buses for a great mob. Live in a beautiful place.
Applied my own insane humour to the porch and havent been asked to leave...yet..
Made new friends..
I nominate @Fodderwing Dwight...for the win....:)

Very generous Gaw. I enjoy spending time on the porch mostly perusing and the people here are second to none. It can really renew your faith that there are still a lot of good people in the world. I would like to nominate redsparrow please.
Darren, congrats on your first year milestone. As noted many times, you are an asset to this community and this GAW is additional proof of that.
The porch is a great place to hang out. A friendly place that always has a comfortable chair available to sit and rock awhile. I enjoy the learning that is possible and the camaraderie that is inevitable. Only forum I know of that is not only civil but welcoming, thanks to all of you.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
@GasMan1, thank you for the nomination. What an honor to be mentioned, especially after the words,"It can really renew your faith that there are still a lot of good people in the world."
Yes, there are good people in this world and many of them are porch regulars.
Darren, those are fantastic knives, I'd like to nominate a bunch of people here to be able to win one because of their generosity. Such as; @joeradza, @paulhilborn, meako meako , @Ramrodmb... or another group of people (in which the aforementioned are included) whose posting make this place what it is, but I won't.o_O If I nominated all the wonderful people that make this place great, I'd be at it all day and my free time is at a premium right now. I'm getting a house I've lived in for 20 years ready for sale.:eek: It's a good thing but completely time consuming. Best part about it is, I have so many reasons each day to use one of my knives.:D
Congrats to you once again Darren and thanks to all, I'll be here as time permits.

Last edited:
I think Jeff nominated me for the 78 by saying this, thanks for thinking of me Jeff! ;):D:thumbsup:

There are dozens of reasons that the Porch has become a part of my life, first and foremost, it is a great place to spend my rare free-time with good people and pics of great knives :thumbsup: Secondly, I got so sick of all the negative social communities like FB and deleted those accounts years ago. I was really skeptical about joining BladeForums. But after loitering for about a year I realized the traditional forum is not negative at all and is in fact quite positive thanks to contributors like yourself Darren ;) I didn't think social etiquette was achievable in an online forum but our Porch Mods do a great job keeping the peace and being assertive when needed. Thanks Gary and Frank :):thumbsup: You know you're hooked when you don't log in for a couple days and gotta "pop in" to see what's going on... I love my rocking chair over in the "Old Knives" corner of the Porch ;) Lastly I just think it is cool that I have sent knives to and received knives from places ranging from Oregon to Florida, all because of trades and GAW's like this one from you and the other fine folks on the Porch. It's like I'm a kid again but instead of trading my old baseball cards for my favorite Cubs players I'm trading old Schrades for my favorite Ulster's :D Great GAW Darren :thumbsup:
You are right our mods do an outstanding job here...top notch! I have serious FOMO if I don't log in for a few days :)
Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Google translate is recommended.
Commonly used Australian adjectives are forbidden and have been excluded in accordance. New Zealanders may understand the language...but thankfully we only have one on board these days unless theres any lurking in the bilge ( thats sure to flush em out)...
Dazza
Maaate!!
You good thing.!
Mate I'm all for it...happier than a starving dog in butchers shop.
I lobbed in 2006 looking for knowledge on sharpening.
Found the porch and pretty much never left.
Meantime amassed a great collection, forced to retire from a 30 year career as a firey,mentally and physically exhausted.
Been flushed down the gurgler by the by the wife and sons...20th anniversary is today.
Made homeless by the legal system..lost contact with 2 sons..
Clawed my way back from the black stump , found a new love, invested in a new place I call home...got a job driving school buses for a great mob. Live in a beautiful place.
Applied my own insane humour to the porch and havent been asked to leave...yet..
Made new friends..
I nominate @Fodderwing Dwight...for the win....:)
<<<TRANSLATOR ACTIVATED>>>
Dazza
Darren

Maaate!!
Friend!!

You good thing.!
You swell guy!

This gaw is super cool.

:D:D:D

Thank you sir :) You are a highly valued addition to this community and I appreciate your quirkiness and humor!
Thank you for nominating Dwight and good luck :thumbsup:

Darren, congrats on your first year milestone. As noted many times, you are an asset to this community and this GAW is additional proof of that.
The porch is a great place to hang out. A friendly place that always has a comfortable chair available to sit and rock awhile. I enjoy the learning that is possible and the camaraderie that is inevitable. Only forum I know of that is not only civil but welcoming, thanks to all of you.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
@GasMan1, thank you for the nomination. What an honor to be mentioned, especially after the words,"It can really renew your faith that there are still a lot of good people in the world."
Yes, there are good people in this world and many of them are porch regulars.
Darren, those are fantastic knives, I'd like to nominate a bunch of people here to be able to win one because of their generosity. Such as; @joeradza, @paulhilborn, meako meako , @Ramrodmb... or another group of people (in which the aforementioned are included) whose posting make this place what it is, but I won't.o_O If I nominated all the wonderful people that make this place great, I'd be at it all day and my free time is at a premium right now. I'm getting a house I've lived in for 20 years ready for sale.:eek: It's a good thing but completely time consuming. Best part about it is, I have so many reasons each day to use one of my knives.:D
Congrats to you once again Darren and thanks to all, I'll be here as time permits.
Thank you James :) Will consider this your entry in addition to the nomination good luck :thumbsup:

This is definitely one of the best things about this little section of the forum. It's a very generous gesture. A lot of you guys have given me advise and answered a ton of questions for me about all kinds of stuff. I really think it's great that guys and gals that never met and live all across the world can talk about a shared interest. I appreciate everyone here and I appreciate the chance to win such cool knives. I really dig the 73, and due to issues that deeply affected my knife budget....I'd keep that sucker ;)

Congrats on the impending one-year anniversary, Darren! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) IMHO, you've made fantastic contributions to The Porch in the past year! :cool::cool::thumbsup: A couple of my favorites are the photoshopping skills that you use to show us the knives of our dreams, and the way you put your intro stats class into practice in the context of the GEC database you created (that's me speaking while wearing my statistics teacher hat). :thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Thanks also for this generous GAW! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I usually don't enter GAWs involving GEC knives because I think others appreciate those knives much more than I do (but a GEC 73 certainly gives me second thoughts ;)). Since you're allowing us to enter for someone else, I'm going to participate after all. As redsparrow redsparrow noted, there are MANY Porch denizens worthy of my support; I narrowed my choices down to four members, and picked one almost at random. :rolleyes:

I'd like my entry to "represent" screened porch screened porch , who I think indicated a preference for the 78 American Jack.

Again, congrats and thanks, Darren! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Best wishes to all the participants! :D

- GT

Back