The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Later today. Well maybe tomorrow. Might keep it pretty for a day.

That's a mistake. The longer it sits unused the more chance it has to sit longer. Better put a scuff mark on it, maybe drop it in the grass (snow if in the midwest) or something so it's no longer new. I have to do that with my Busse's I plan to use. Brought my recent infiflatmandu (FFG ratmandu) out this morning while taking the dog and shaved down a stick laying in the yard, just so it's no longer new. I suppose I could baton it through a potato or something, give it Busse style kitchen duty.

I like the whole driving it through a cinder block while taping it to upload onto youtube better!

So, this thread is intended to be about knives and cutting things?

Maybe? Not limited to it, from where the thread this spawned from came from. It included all sorts of crazy discussions at times, from fixing cars to food.

No. It's about bashing those jerks in W&C. They swear way too much over there!:mad:

They really do. I mean, too much is pretty subjective. Not sure what one expects when you enter that area of the forum though. I suppose if you're new to W&C, it could catch you off guard. Not quite as bad a political rant on facebook, but pretty close.

Things are going. Plans to maybe create some structure. @JupiterPaladin @sabre cat I do believe that the thread needs in essence a credo.

Like:
1 The thread is for putting in an unused knife and to take out an knife of equal or greater value to try out for fun
1.a Knives that are taken from the pool are meant to be kept or placed back in the pool but ultimately if its in the pool whomever is in possession of the knife can do as they please with it. No questions. This is a caveat to the person placing a knife of value into the pool, to not expect an act of kindness to be returned. This will prevent situations where several members grabbed a semi-high value knife and put back multiple items in the pot that no one wanted.
2 The owners of the knives ultimately dictate the terms and if the original owner wants to send out that knife to an individual
3 Acts of kindness like no return knife placed into the pool of knives to try have to be dictated
4 Offers of lesser value can be refused. Period.
5. Items that sit for more than a month should be purged and the person putting those items in the pool have the option to replace those items or return the knife that was being tried out into the pool as opposed to keeping it.
6. Should be open to paid forum members only in order to keep out the riff raff

So lots of good came of it though, I feel at least. Off the PIF thread I sent @Deinos a G5 metamorph, no strings attached to try out, @Markisbear was sent a kitchen knife and @Sharp & Fiery in Canada was sent a set of Rough Rider knives and @Neko2 still has a laptop coming to him whenever it can get reconfigured.

Lots of great forum members were met and lots of old friends like Monofletch Monofletch remain vested so it's all good. I for one can't remember the stuff I pif but it includes multiple watches, Timex and Gshock mostly (I think 4 at least), a Landi EDC nib, endura, delica, the list goes on, I tried a bunch of knives that I put back into the pool and a few of my favorite edcs are a result of the thread including a sak pruner, metamorph 2, baby jess horn @Velitrius, and a Ripple 2 in Acuto which I need to edc more.
^^^This sounds more like a "pass around" than a PIF.
One rule that would be helpful in avoiding any future PIF thread becoming a trading thread would be that when your PIF is claimed, you cannot claim the PIF put forward by the claiment of your PIF item.

Last edited:
No. It's about bashing those jerks in W&C. They swear way too much over there!:mad:

Well count me in! Those guys are potty mouths.

Though I thought we were to

"Restrict flamewars & bad behavior to W&C and other "approved" areas

Those forums are the only "anything goes" areas of this site, so don't let the behavior leak out. Conversely, if you don't want to be offended or insulted, stay out of there."

One rule that would be helpful in avoiding any future PIF thread becoming a trading thread would be that when your PIF is claimed, you cannot claim the PIF put forward by the claiment of your PIF item.

You know, I don't really think that had happened too many times, it wasn't even an issue. The bigger issues were the concept of are all the PIF's an act of kindness or was it a combination of that plus trying out knives for fun.

And who was in essence owed for placing items into the pot for claiming. Some ppl considered the entire thread an act of benevolance, some treated it as a way to rotate out their collection.

Things only got bad when it turned into Lord of the Flies with group factions and the dynamics of that tribe-ing out. And also when a couple of the fellas really just pif BS stuff for nicer items. I'm literally going to single out one dude who walked away with several really nice knives and who isn't really a bladeforum member in good standing. He was a bit of a vulture in a dirty way. I literally would not have him back in the next pif.

It's one thing to say put up gear that has mass appeal, like a Condor, Maxpedition pack, a DMT plate, tac pen. It's another thing to be putting up junk and then try to force/pressure whomever is doing a PIF that those multitude of items are of the same value as the one item that's worth $150 used. The thread wasn't meant to be a trading post for someone to pawn off all their junk to people in order to trade up for a higher valued knife. And in those instances that decision should be the knife owners to make knowing the consequences which in effect is stalling out the streams of PIF's.

You know, I don't really think that had happened too many times, it wasn't even an issue. The bigger issues were the concept of are all the PIF's an act of kindness or was it a combination of that plus trying out knives for fun.

And who was in essence owed for placing items into the pot for claiming. Some ppl considered the entire thread an act of benevolance, some treated it as a way to rotate out their collection.

Things only got bad when it turned into Lord of the Flies with group factions and the dynamics of that tribe-ing out. And also when a couple of the fellas really just pif BS stuff for nicer items. I'm literally going to single out one dude who walked away with several really nice knives and who isn't really a bladeforum member in good standing. He was a bit of a vulture in a dirty way. I literally would not have him back in the next pif.

It's one thing to say put up gear that has mass appeal, like a Condor, Maxpedition pack, a DMT plate, tac pen. It's another thing to be putting up junk and then try to force/pressure whomever is doing a PIF that those multitude of items are of the same value as the one item that's worth $150 used. The thread wasn't meant to be a trading post for someone to pawn off all their junk to people in order to trade up for a higher valued knife. And in those instances that decision should be the knife owners to make knowing the consequences which in effect is stalling out the streams of PIF's.
Perhaps the keeper of the list should have final say on what is an appropriate PIF for what is being claimed.

I think it only happened once or twice, but something different ended up in the thread still. I'm offering A, other guy claimed A, offered B, I liked B, claimed B, and offered C.

It went mostly smoothly for 1.5 years, so we had it mostly figured out before what seems like the inevitable end of "pay it forward" threads. I think a facilitator would help something like this to take the trash out, but then it doesn't fit within the paradigm that, that thread was and where it was located on the forum. Self-governance doesn't always work out the best.

Well count me in! Those guys are potty mouths.

Though I thought we were to

"Restrict flamewars & bad behavior to W&C and other "approved" areas

Those forums are the only "anything goes" areas of this site, so don't let the behavior leak out. Conversely, if you don't want to be offended or insulted, stay out of there."
I was somewhat shocked with the language the first time I visited W&C. I don't really like going there but I know there are a group of folks that hang there. It is almost required that you be a potty mouth posting there. I see no point.

A facilitator or rules have to be put in place. It's like Shakespeare's plays. It's always the crazy one in the play, the fool or the Jester that foreshadows intrinsic truths and what happens in the future.

So on that note, the W&C guys as foul mouthed as they are were hinting towards the threads demise and in many ways trying to intervene and prevent those freight trains from colliding. You got dudes getting into cockfights, ppl throwing in dubious clones, grabbing like 8 knives in a row greedily.

In the effort to be accomodating, some really bad exchanges are going to happen as no one wanted to be seen as a bad guy. It's gotta be done though or else what happened is going to ensue. And this scenario doesn't benefit all of the people who literally benefitted from the thread or got some fun out of it.

Like if you get one of the flagship Spyderco models don't be putting back in used clothes, a CRKT in aus4 or whatever you can't pawn off on ebay elsewhere or hold back on an equal 1 for 1 or 2 for 1. That's just BS. But it was all organic how it happend and super interesting to observe.

I think it only happened once or twice, but something different ended up in the thread still. I'm offering A, other guy claimed A, offered B, I liked B, claimed B, and offered C.

It went mostly smoothly for 1.5 years, so we had it mostly figured out before what seems like the inevitable end of "pay it forward" threads. I think a facilitator would help something like this to take the trash out, but then it doesn't fit within the paradigm that, that thread was and where it was located on the forum. Self-governance doesn't always work out the best.
And let's just say that the last keeper of the list knew exactly who was putting in bunk stuff of unequivocal value but he wasn't able to really have a say. A gatekeeper or arbitrator would take the pressure off of someone who wanted to channel check if an offer was fair or not. That gets the person in question off the hook from having to tell someone else that their pif whatever is bunk.

I force myself to pocket new knives. Carry them around the house first then maybe to the store.....
When they get over a certain price point it is sooooo hard to use them.
That’s why I love the exchange!

Do ou guys have Krispy Kreme's? I've tried a lot of donuts, artisan donuts and donut like things around the world and I gotta say outside of beignets in New Orleans Krispy Kremes have to go to be one of the best donut like things ever.

p5EnYnj.jpg

And let's just say that the last keeper of the list knew exactly who was putting in bunk stuff of unequivocal value but he wasn't able to really have a say. A gatekeeper or arbitrator would take the pressure off of someone who wanted to channel check if an offer was fair or not. That gets the person in question off the hook from having to tell someone else that their pif whatever is bunk.
Bunk is bunk. Just tell it like it is. Then it's up to them to either put up something appropriate, or take their bunk and go home.
But, I agree there definitely should be someone that is given the authority to have the final say in any disputes.

If I throw up a $500 custom Reate Epoc I don’t expect the rest of the crowd to be happy with Chris putting up a used RAT 1. It’s common sense. But I think a couple of good quality blades should be Okay

If I throw up a $500 custom Reate Epoc I don’t expect the rest of the crowd to be happy with Chris putting up a used RAT 1. It’s common sense. But I think a couple of good quality blades should be Okay
Unless the offeror says it isn't. But generally if the other person threw up 4 NIB $125 it should be fine.

As the value goes down though, not so much... like a $125 knife and 5 $20 knives is a hard no.

So... that was expected huh...lol. I don't know about you guys but I thought all in all it went for a really long time and alot of great stuff occured!
I'm just gonna keeping adding ppl as they coming into my head btw...

@Yimes @Worldwatcher

Also @Neko2 thought this was a good place to give you an updated status on the airbook.

So Mac's unlike PC's apparently have an original user control when you try to reinstall the OS. Which is where my IT service is having a problem. They have to have the laptop physically with them to put a new owner OS system onto it or else restore the laptop via OS install from a UBS stick to get around the original user license issue.

My ops person at work is supposed to be doing that but she is basically contagious right now. It's like Dustin Hoffman Outbreak over here lol. So I'd rather she get well before coming back to the office. She's also in the middle of redoing our healthcare plans etc... and is up to her elbow in work.

The alternative is if you know about Macs, I don't. And can install Ubuntu on it or do a full wipe to get around the original owner issue with a fresh OS reinstall I can send it to you as is.

If you have the time to spare and can wait, then I'l keep on the IT service to rectify their screw up. My original intent was just to have them wipe the users and leave a guest user password up but they had issue with that because my company was the registered license owner of some of the software. Either way let me know!
sorry about your ops person being sick, yeh I transferd to a iMac about 7 months ago coming from PC and its been a long learning curve for me also, I sometimes wonder if I will ever get the hang of this system! or just go back to Microsoft! as I understand why they did the original user control on apple products to keep people safe, but its given me fits....

Back