The Just Hanging Out Thread.

The Native fills the palm and is another perfect EDC. I love the way it feels, yet I never carry mine. I think its because I like flattish scales. Not to infringe on IP, but you should design a fixed blade with that all encompassing beautiful Milli handle. It's neutral grip positions really make that knife comfortable in any grip. I even got over the tip down thing with it.

I have something similar, but still pretty different in the works already. It has a little more curvature but follows pretty similar lines in the hand, at least on the spine side. It's kind of a blend of a Persian knife handle, a lamb skinner, and a Canadian belt knife.

Here's just handle profile after gluing the wood pieces together for prototyping. I didn't show the blade because I'm unsure of the overall profile and orientation as there are a lot of curves to work out to make sure the edge ends up where I want it when the knife is held in a natural position.
y4SLswql.jpg

Edit: here's a version headed to the knifemaker for eval and cost estimates. I'm hoping to get this guy out in March or April. I think I'll tap into the resources of this group again as it worked out well for the last prototypes.

9nYmtM2l.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks!!

Missing the PIF thread a touch...but here is an update.
The Guardian 3 finally arrived to me and I decided it wasnt for me. A nice knife, but absolutely disliked the G10 scales. I decided to give it a rescale and it became so so much more comfortable. But, nonetheless, I still knew I wouldnt carry it as much as I should.
Just yesterday, I forwarded the G3 on to J jaseman as promised...can’t wait for him to receive it!! I would love to post photos, but I will let Jaseman do the honors, since it is now his knife.
Hope all is well with you all!!
Sharp & Fiery

Last edited:
I will say I am not hugely fond of the G10 handles either but haven't had the time or material to make anything myself and haven't seen many offerings I liked particularly for a price I liked. I do carry it less than my folders but it get a fair bit of carry and the size is great for me on the Guardian 3.

I will say I am not hugely fond of the G10 handles either but haven't had the time or material to make anything myself and haven't seen many offerings I liked particularly for a price I liked. I do carry it less than my folders but it get a fair bit of carry and the size is great for me on the Guardian 3.

Too bad your G3 didnt swing by my place first. ;)

I think there are a lot of people that like the delica/endura style handle a lot more...

Never really cared for that either...then I received a purple Endura as a PIF. It is supposed to be for my daughter but, my wife likes it and I’ve used it enough to get used to it. I admit, it is a fine knife even if it is on the ugly side.

I would not feel under knifed with this as my edc.

Last edited:
Never really cared for that either...then I received a purple Endura as a PIF. It is supposed to be for my daughter but, my wife likes it and I’ve used it enough to get used to it. I admit, it is a fine knife even if it is on the ugly side.

I would not feel under knifed with that as my edc.

I think this is how I feel about 90% of spyderco's. They seem to really win out in the ugly department, but they hit out of the park for function most of the time. Sal's approach of function over form really shows in the company's offerings.

I need to find a tent that uses that principle for the fam now that I have the kiddo to tag along with on some over-nighters and the 15lb car camping thing isn't going to fly. I'm really looking forward to spring with the kid this year for some outdoors adventuring to get my fat butt out of the chair more.

Too bad your G3 didnt swing by my place first. ;)

Just from what Ives seen in photos, it’s gonna look really nice in person.

I’ll let you know when they land.

Yeah, someone recently gave me a mountain bike. Now I don’t have an excuse for keeping my fat butt inside. At least I will not have an excuse when the weather
improves.
That reminds me. I need to take my two bikes to a shop to have them gone over. I am not much when it comes to adjusting gears and so forth. If the mountain bike gets to where I can use the low gears again, I may just ride it again. :D Think I will do that this coming week during what I hope is a low demand for services period at the bike shop.

That reminds me. I need to take my two bikes to a shop to have them gone over. I am not much when it comes to adjusting gears and so forth. If the mountain bike gets to where I can use the low gears again, I may just ride it again. :D Think I will do that this coming week during what I hope is a low demand for services period at the bike shop.

It’s not that hard to do. At least not with the common stuff. Some of the newer index shifting models could be a challenge.

If I can learn how to lace wheels and adjust gears and bearings you should be able to.

You strike me as a man that has his act together more than I do.

sheldonbrown.com is one of the best resources for bike repair that I found. I learned how to rebuild bikes from that website. Suspension and bleeding hydro brakes are the two things I'm not good at, but anything with a cable is easy peasy. I don't have the patience to build wheels or I would try. I'm also heavy enough that I need a well-built wheel or it will come apart on me, and I've been friends with wheelbuilders in the past.

Park tools is another okay website for learning, but much drier read, IMO.

Regarding tune-ups, winter is a really slow time for bike shops and some run winter specials on maintenance just to help keep the lights on for the off-season. That depends on location, of course.

They really are great knives. G3 in 3v was one of my first full time fixed blade edc. Moved on to the sheepsfoot in V4E and I feel like that was really the sweet spot for me.

Yet to be determined for me, as I can’t easily carry a fixed blade at work.

So here is the G3 that Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery sent me....

First and foremost, the scales he made are really nice. Beautiful figure to the wood, smoothed to perfection, and feel really good in hand.

j51c2Uc.jpg

R4HoI95.jpg

As for the G3 itself, I haven’t decided yet, as I just haven’t had much time with it. Like I said, can’t do a fixie at work, since I’m in an office all day -it just wouldn’t fly. The blade shape seems nice, and the ergos are pretty good, but it’s also a bit smaller than I anticipated... not a bad thing, just always figured it was a bit bigger, maybe closer to the ESEE 3. That said, the smaller size also makes it a perfect edc blade.

Speaking of edc, the sheath needs replace. It’s like new, but unfortunately, I’m left handed. I’ll proba go ahead and order an Armatus sheath with a Spyderco G-clip for it. I think this would carry perfectly, crossdraw at a 45 degree angle. Plus, the Armatus is half the size of the original leather.

Here’s the G3 next to my Benchmade Hidden Canyon (current fixed EDC). You can see the G3 is longer than the BM, but it actually feels much smaller in hand. The blade should be much more useful of a shape (at least for me) as the BM just has way too much belly (part of why it feels bigger in hand). You can also see the difference between the large leather sheath, and the Armatus one. Switching will make it much easier to determine if I like it or not for an edc.

9KhGq1e.jpg

RAGFFxZ.jpg

J jaseman that handle looks great and I too am a lefty and work in an office but I have carried my G3 to the office in the sheath. I don't know if we do have the same sheath but it looks like it and I will say for me it carried well at my back where I could easily reach it with my left hand. No one really said anything to me in my office, only ~20 people, it might be different for you though depending on the size and general atmosphere of your office.

Yet to be determined for me, as I can’t easily carry a fixed blade at work.

So here is the G3 that Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery sent me....

First and foremost, the scales he made are really nice. Beautiful figure to the wood, smoothed to perfection, and feel really good in hand.

j51c2Uc.jpg

R4HoI95.jpg

As for the G3 itself, I haven’t decided yet, as I just haven’t had much time with it. Like I said, can’t do a fixie at work, since I’m in an office all day -it just wouldn’t fly. The blade shape seems nice, and the ergos are pretty good, but it’s also a bit smaller than I anticipated... not a bad thing, just always figured it was a bit bigger, maybe closer to the ESEE 3. That said, the smaller size also makes it a perfect edc blade.

Speaking of edc, the sheath needs replace. It’s like new, but unfortunately, I’m left handed. I’ll proba go ahead and order an Armatus sheath with a Spyderco G-clip for it. I think this would carry perfectly, crossdraw at a 45 degree angle. Plus, the Armatus is half the size of the original leather.

Here’s the G3 next to my Benchmade Hidden Canyon (current fixed EDC). You can see the G3 is longer than the BM, but it actually feels much smaller in hand. The blade should be much more useful of a shape (at least for me) as the BM just has way too much belly (part of why it feels bigger in hand). You can also see the difference between the large leather sheath, and the Armatus one. Switching will make it much easier to determine if I like it or not for an edc.

9KhGq1e.jpg

RAGFFxZ.jpg
Agreed on the Armatus sheath. Adds a ton of versatility. I like using a single strap and letting it hang. Can also add an ulti-clip and turn it into a sweet pocket carry.

J jaseman that handle looks great and I too am a lefty and work in an office but I have carried my G3 to the office in the sheath. I don't know if we do have the same sheath but it looks like it and I will say for me it carried well at my back where I could easily reach it with my left hand. No one really said anything to me in my office, only ~20 people, it might be different for you though depending on the size and general atmosphere of your office.

My office is small as well. I could probably get away with it if I just dealt with coworkers, but I see clients on a regular basis, so while a pocket clip might not get noticed, a small fixed blade might.

I might have to look into wearing it in the small of the back though. Could work very well during non working hours.

Agreed on the Armatus sheath. Adds a ton of versatility. I like using a single strap and letting it hang. Can also add an ulti-clip and turn it into a sweet pocket carry.

I’ll most likely be ordering an Armatus this weekend. Defiantly gonna try a G-clip, but maybe I’ll order a utiliclip as well and try pocket carry.

Back