The Just Hanging Out Thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing the thread come back in some form or another. Maybe not quite a PIF, but closer to a pass around. Or a hybrid of some sort. It was a lot of fun, and I got to try out some things I wouldn't normally.

I agree that some more defined rules might help, but in the beginning, I think it was the vagueness of the rules that helped it grow. Of course, in the end, we couldn't seem to self regulate once there were so many users with different ideas of what was fair.

Things are going. Plans to maybe create some structure. @JupiterPaladin @sabre cat I do believe that the thread needs in essence a credo.

Like:
1 The thread is for putting in an unused knife and to take out an knife of equal or greater value to try out for fun

I believe every knife I posted and/or received was used. As a non-collector, I see no problem with a used knife if it's in serviceable condition. But I also understand not wanting the thread filled with beaters that no-one wants.

1.a Knives that are taken from the pool are meant to be kept or placed back in the pool but ultimately if its in the pool whomever is in possession of the knife can do as they please with it. No questions. This is a caveat to the person placing a knife of value into the pool, to not expect an act of kindness to be returned. This will prevent situations where several members grabbed a semi-high value knife and put back multiple items in the pot that no one wanted.

Agreed. Might be hard to regulate, but for a lot of us, it was how we viewed it anyway. I actually loved when things went back up as a 'catch-and-release' as it was always interesting to see where a knife that went through my hands landed, and what someone else thought of it. It was one of the things that kept me vested in the thread.

2 The owners of the knives ultimately dictate the terms and if the original owner wants to send out that knife to an individual
3 Acts of kindness like no return knife placed into the pool of knives to try have to be dictated
4 Offers of lesser value can be refused. Period.

Agree whole heartedly. It's the owners item to pass along as they see fit, and set whatever terms and conditions they want.

5. Items that sit for more than a month should be purged and the person putting those items in the pool have the option to replace those items or return the knife that was being tried out into the pool as opposed to keeping it.

I think a time limit is OK. But I might let something sit a bit longer than a month.

6. Should be open to paid forum members only in order to keep out the riff raff

If that was in place when the thread started, I would not have been able to participate. There are lots of members here, in good standing, that aren't on paid memberships... But I don't have a problem with some sort of restriction. Possibly post count, length of time as a member, or some combination of both. The Year of Giveaways rules might be a good starting point.

These are obviously just my personal opinions. If someone decides to start a new thread it's really their playground, and their rules. And I have no personal problem with that. I always tried to stay within the sprit of the last thread, and if I participate in any new thread, I would try to stay within the spirit of it as well.

So lots of good came of it though, I feel at least. Off the PIF thread I sent @Deinos a G5 metamorph, no strings attached to try out, @Markisbear was sent a kitchen knife and @Sharp & Fiery in Canada was sent a set of Rough Rider knives and @Neko2 still has a laptop coming to him whenever it can get reconfigured.

Lots of great forum members were met and lots of old friends like Monofletch Monofletch remain vested so it's all good. I for one can't remember the stuff I pif but it includes multiple watches, Timex and Gshock mostly (I think 4 at least), a Landi EDC nib, endura, delica, the list goes on, I tried a bunch of knives that I put back into the pool and a few of my favorite edcs are a result of the thread including a sak pruner, metamorph 2, baby jess horn @Velitrius, and a Ripple 2 in Acuto which I need to edc more.

There were lots of good things happening in that thread. I got to try a few things, pass along a few things, and interact with members I might not have normally.

--------

And let's just say that the last keeper of the list knew exactly who was putting in bunk stuff of unequivocal value but he wasn't able to really have a say. A gatekeeper or arbitrator would take the pressure off of someone who wanted to channel check if an offer was fair or not. That gets the person in question off the hook from having to tell someone else that their pif whatever is bunk.

Bunk is bunk. Just tell it like it is. Then it's up to them to either put up something appropriate, or take their bunk and go home.
But, I agree there definitely should be someone that is given the authority to have the final say in any disputes.

I think I'm more in line with @danbot on this one. If you don't like an offering, it's on you to say so. We all SHOULD BE able to handle it like adults, and just move on. We should have all learned how to accept no for an answer as kids.

Additionally, asking a third party to approve all dealings puts a lot of pressure on that person to make both happy, as well as have an understanding of what every potential offering is worth. That said, I understand there may be a need for a thread moderator of some sort.

Again, all just my personal opinions. Take them as you may.

Do ou guys have Krispy Kreme's? I've tried a lot of donuts, artisan donuts and donut like things around the world and I gotta say outside of beignets in New Orleans Krispy Kremes have to go to be one of the best donut like things ever.

p5EnYnj.jpg
Hell yeah! One of their first locations was right across the street from my college. Addictive. Gained more weight from those doughnuts then beer I think.

Unless the offeror says it isn't. But generally if the other person threw up 4 NIB $125 it should be fine.

As the value goes down though, not so much... like a $125 knife and 5 $20 knives is a hard no.
This is my biggest suggestion. If you have those low dollar items, then great put them up for those who could use them, but do not use them to upgrade. This happened a few times and just killed the momentum. I get we all have different price points that we can afford and it is good to have everyone involved but just pif them and don't claim anything. A couple guys did this repeatedly and blew my mind no one called them out. I think we all tried to keep an open mind about it and didn't want to offend anyone. And that sentiment was taken advantage of. Then the resentment built up and the eventual demise. Im all for one gate keeper with clearly stated criteria.

For the record, I like most of you guys and greatly enjoyed the thread until I got painted as the asshole for trying to keep the thread up to the same standards we had been enjoying previously.

I've seen Monofletch Monofletch around the site for a long time and have come to respect him, but the snide comments that appeared to be pointed at me are saddening to be sure.

WValtakis WValtakis if there where any negative waves from me they are aimed at a small part of the group and the way that last bit of business was conducted. A handful of members soured the thread for A LOT of people. I try to keep to myself and offer what I can when I can. It was hard for me to sit back and watch that take place. Now you have Quiet - that admits in his RANT that he has never participated in the PIF thread - but he is stirring the pot and name calling. That just brings the whole thing down even further.
I don’t want any part of that.... there is no reason for it except “I can go to W&C and type cuss words!!”

Last edited:
WValtakis WValtakis if there where any negative waves from me they are aimed at a small part of the group and the way that last bit of business was conducted. A handful of members soured the thread for A LOT of people. I try to keep to myself and offer what I can when I can. It was hard for me to sit back and watch that take place. Now you have Quiet - that admits in his RANT that he has never participated in the PIF thread - but he is stirring the pot and name calling. That just brings the whole thing down even further.
I don’t want any part of that.... there is no reason for it except “I can go to W&C and type cuss words!!”

Ok, so, I guess we aren't cool. That's not what happened at all. I called that thread out for WHAT IT WAS. And that hurt some feelings. Then, it got closed, and a thread opened up in W/C and some people from that thread decided to have their say and well, I'm much more direct. Simple as that. If you don't like my use of the four letter word, then hitch up your skirts, and stay out of W&C, gramma.

You are a clear shill fanbag of StrongBearZero (who tried to buy friends in that thread, and then lied/exaggerated in the W&C thread about it) because you got a free Kwaiken. Enjoy your free knife.

That thread became a joke, just like the ShopTalk thread. Watching all of you hens dance around the elephants (plural) in the room was cracking me up to no end. Period.

There, how's that for a pot stirred? Now then, if you don't want me in here, do not use my name, or make inferences to me again. Thanks. YOU guys killed that swap meet thread, not me. I didn't close either thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing the thread come back in some form or another. Maybe not quite a PIF, but closer to a pass around. Or a hybrid of some sort. It was a lot of fun, and I got to try out some things I wouldn't normally.

Now that I have a different membership level, I can more comfortable foreshadow a bit. I'm working on service to facilitate something like this, for a little money of course. I'm working out some of the liabilities I would take on by being involved in the transfer of knives back and forth to folks since we're a sue happy culture.

One almost wants to out offenders in the PIF beef thread but that would be declasse.
For the record, I like most of you guys and greatly enjoyed the thread until I got painted as the asshole for trying to keep the thread up to the same standards we had been enjoying previously.

I've seen Monofletch Monofletch around the site for a long time and have come to respect him, but the snide comments that appeared to be pointed at me are saddening to be sure.
No one painted you that. And don't perceive it as such. Again, the thread veered into uncharted territory with you and Strongbear escalating things and throwing up higher value items with no rules around that.

The discussion just went off course as to the rationale for why you didn't want him to claim your knife and communication stopped right there. It turned into factions after that through no one's fauly really. Again, I could have done the urban-emo thing and intervened and wrote what both of you guys were thinking but I was trying to abide by the bro-code you know.

Strongbear I know with certainty would have put up for the XM. But that's just water under the bridge. No one is faulting you because at the end of the day that's your knife! That's the BF way of handling things. In doing so, grey areas came into play though as to whether or not then the thread was a swapmeet for trades.

No fault of your own again, it was all uncharted territory. Your contribution was from the get go and to be honest so much better then again, some folks throwing up Walmart clamshell knife specials. No disrespect for the try there but this is a knife forum and nobody is going to think that's a fun offering. There was not really a stated mission or goal of the thread too, it wasn't originally a purely benevolent thread. It was just a casual statement that if you aren't using a knife throw it in for someone else who might use it. That was the original sentiment.

Fellas you know better than this, this isn't the area of the forum to start this kind of stuff.

Ok, so, I guess we aren't cool. That's not what happened at all. I called that thread out for WHAT IT WAS. And that hurt some feelings. Then, it got closed, and a thread opened up in W/C and some people from that thread decided to have their say and well, I'm much more direct. Simple as that. If you don't like my use of the four letter word, then hitch up your skirts, and stay out of W&C, gramma.

You are a clear shill fanbag of StrongBearZero (who tried to buy friends in that thread, and then lied/exaggerated in the W&C thread about it) because you got a free Kwaiken. Enjoy your free knife.

That thread became a joke, just like the ShopTalk thread. Watching all of you hens dance around the elephants (plural) in the room was cracking me up to no end. Period.

There, how's that for a pot stirred? Now then, if you don't want me in here, do not use my name, or make inferences to me again. Thanks. YOU guys killed that swap meet thread, not me. I didn't close either thread.
You can call me anything you want if it makes you feel better. I’m not here to get in a pissing match with anyone. I read your comments that stated you never participated- yet you feel the need to insult people and cast a bunch of negativity about it. Why bother?

You can call me anything you want if it makes you feel better. I’m not here to get in a pissing match with anyone. I read your comments that stated you never participated- yet you feel the need to insult people and cast a bunch of negativity about it. Why bother?

Who did I insult in that thread where I wasn't insulted or denigrated first? Also, again, were my comments negativity, or shining some objective light on a situation? Who's going to be more objective? A guy who just received a free knife from a guy who has made it clear that he expected recompense for his "generosity", or me, a guy who has taken nothing from that thread and was pointing out several things that some of you seemed to be too afraid to speak up about? I'm genuinely curious.

Know what, don't worry about it. Listen, I'm not here to trash up your new thread. Looks like some actual rules are being discussed that will detract the freeloaders from trying to take advantage of people so that hard feelings are kept to a minimum. That seems like a win to me.

Last edited:

The value is in entertainment. There is a trading section of the Forum for things like the Pay It Forward swap meet.

The value is in entertainment. There is a trading section of the Forum for things like the Pay It Forward swap meet.
Mechanism for trading isn't the same which is a direct 1:1. The PIF was closer to a communal pool for knife discussion and sharing. And it got a lot of new guys into better equipped edc carry.

I've jumped around a lot chatting with the different groups on BF over the years and the folks from the PIF thread are good people.

I guess it’s a free forum and you can post whatever you want. The ONLY ISSUE I have is the fact that you didn’t participate yet you bitch and complain about those that did. Other than that I could care less.

Ok, this is devolving just like all the other threads.

bikerector bikerector let me know if/when you get something up and running. Don’t know how much I’ll be able to participate or not, but I’m at least interested.

Till then, I’m out. Gonna find more productive things to do with my time than watch this ongoing train wreck.

I guess it’s a free forum and you can post whatever you want. The ONLY ISSUE I have is the fact that you didn’t participate yet you bitch and complain about those that did. Other than that I could care less.
This exactly. I read through some w and c yesterday and you could see the pure joy they had in mocking us. Long before the eventual close. I say who cares this thread is supposed to be different. Lets not et this one devolve due to them. We can’t stop them from coming here but we can ignore them. Then they will just go away
I find train wrecks fascinating.
That is obvious! But thanks for your great insight here. We appreciate it very much.

Oops I missed an l in let. Wait for it.... *let dang beat you to it buddy. Took all your fun away, sorry.

Back