The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Just hanging out..fellas. Jump back into the W&C Beef thread for the other convos.

I guess it’s a free forum and you can post whatever you want. The ONLY ISSUE I have is the fact that you didn’t participate yet you bitch and complain about those that did. Other than that I could care less.

You keep using words like "bitch, complain, moan, etc." It's an attempt at disregarding the actual facts I laid out. I understand why, though. It's an age-old tactic when you have no real response to any of the relevant, factual points I made. Anyway, guess I'll be the adult in the room (again) and leave you to your hangout thread. Later.

All in all. Some of their comments and criticisms have been true. They went about it the only way they know how but we can use an outside perspective for a future thread and hopefully make it better. I personally had some fun in w and c yesterday and don’t believe they want to be total #$&$heads well maybe a couple lol. On another note loving my fk2. Only used in the kitchen so far but I get the hype. Very comfortable to use. Anyone else have any new acquisitions?

Quiet Quiet and everyone else, how about a truce? You have said your piece many times and so have others. Can we just call it good and move on? Everyone involved in the various threads has some positive things to offer this forum. Lets move on!

I'm failing to understand why the people who were determined to get the PIF thread shut down, have gotten their way, and now they insist on coming into every thread that might have the PIF players in it, to keep stirring the pot. You got what you wanted, now move on.

Great concept for a thread but so far it has just been a W&C bitching thread without the cuss words. So, I don't see the point.

I'm failing to understand why the people who were determined to get the PIF thread shut down, have gotten their way, and now they insist on coming into every thread that might have the PIF players in it, to keep stirring the pot. You got what you wanted, now move on.

Some people just like to watch things burn. Best I can come up with. The ignore feature has been quite active lately it seems. It does make some responded to whomever I ignored seem out of place, but that's fine.

Different topic, who uses a pack with molle for EDC that isn't made by maxpedition and is really happy with it? Maybe just satisfied with it, because I don't know that I want to dump a bunch of dough on it right now. I have been acquiring accessory pouches lately to try and excessively organized method of packing stuff, pretty much like how I do my workspace at work and home office, but all of my backpacking bags are nearly single compartment or only a few. I tend to like simplicity in those situations I suppose.

WValtakis WValtakis has a sweet setup that I remember, not sure if it had molle accessorizing or if it was just pouches. I currently use a traveler's vest for much of my accessories so I always have a knife, several writing utensils (pen, fine tip sharpie, sharpie), notebook, and phone on me. Usually I have keys and a wallet in there. I stash more in the EDC bag, more pens, rag, multitool, fixed blade, book, bigger notebook, charging cables, and a few toiletry things. After adding in a few more notebooks to start carrying side projects around with me, my current bag is a bit small. Thus, trying out molle pouches.

I used to use a very large messenger bag intended for bicycle messengers. It holds a ton but it is easier to access some things while it's worn than when it's hanging on a wall or in a car.

Some people just like to watch things burn. Best I can come up with. The ignore feature has been quite active lately it seems. It does make some responded to whomever I ignored seem out of place, but that's fine.

Different topic, who uses a pack with molle for EDC that isn't made by maxpedition and is really happy with it? Maybe just satisfied with it, because I don't know that I want to dump a bunch of dough on it right now. I have been acquiring accessory pouches lately to try and excessively organized method of packing stuff, pretty much like how I do my workspace at work and home office, but all of my backpacking bags are nearly single compartment or only a few. I tend to like simplicity in those situations I suppose.

WValtakis WValtakis has a sweet setup that I remember, not sure if it had molle accessorizing or if it was just pouches. I currently use a traveler's vest for much of my accessories so I always have a knife, several writing utensils (pen, fine tip sharpie, sharpie), notebook, and phone on me. Usually I have keys and a wallet in there. I stash more in the EDC bag, more pens, rag, multitool, fixed blade, book, bigger notebook, charging cables, and a few toiletry things. After adding in a few more notebooks to start carrying side projects around with me, my current bag is a bit small. Thus, trying out molle pouches.

I used to use a very large messenger bag intended for bicycle messengers. It holds a ton but it is easier to access some things while it's worn than when it's hanging on a wall or in a car.
Mine's a Maxpedition Falcon II with the small water bottle carrier and a couple other pouches added on. For what it's worth, I've been through numerous other brands...this one is still going strong with no issues after more than 5 years, loaded with 25-35 pounds of crap the whole time:eek::D:thumbsup:

Mine's a Maxpedition Falcon II with the small water bottle carrier and a couple other pouches added on. For what it's worth, I've been through numerous other brands...this one is still going strong with no issues after more than 5 years, loaded with 25-35 pounds of crap the whole time:eek::D:thumbsup:

Of course it is. I haven't really found a good competition to that one yet in that price range and level of supposed quality (I've never owned maxpedition but read mixed things). I certainly don't want $50 ebay or amazon garbage that will fall apart in a year or two. Maybe I'll just have to pony up for one.

Have you looked at 5.11 stuff? I have a number of their molle type bags. However their prices aren't so different from Maxpedition stuff.

Last edited:
I am definitely NOT trying to start anything or cause any issues ...

I do not have a dog in this fight ... I wouldn't even comment except after seeing this thread this morning ... I spent a good while reading a few threads which all centered on this ...

I did not join in the orginal thread ... nobody needs me to supervise ... and I am not trying to ...

but if it truly is a "PIF - Pay It Forward" ... why does the value or what anyone puts in it matter?

maybe I'm mistaken ... but isn't paying it forward doing something for someone else to pass along something someone has done for me ?

so isn't that a selfless act that the value comes from sharing something or giving something needed without return expectations ???

expecting a same value item ... isn't that a trade not a PIF ?

Seen this thing in person it's super nice.

On a side note since apparently marcinek and mycough have spoken for the group and I am the cause of all the drama and per their words " Quick Draw McGregor is the self proclaimed leader of the pif group" and "determined the value of the karma" I will not ever be returning to pif. It was fun but as you all are fine with both of these two who actually caused almost all the issues. I wanted to wish you all well. I handled all I needed to with both of them in their W&C thread. Tip of the hat to mycough at least he stood up for a half second. As for marcinek...well he's just Pinocchio. Watch your backs. To Quiet Quiet and @Blues Bender I think you all should really thank them a little for their input. There was a few people in the pif that were taking things and putting up junk they couldn't sell on their ebay page in return. And it was hurting more then it was helping. All these guys did was try to stop it in their own way.

I made alot of freinds and to you guys keep in touch. To the others well don't catch on fire I don't have your back. I'll be around. Just not around here.

Cheers fellas.

Well.....seems I'm busy a few days and all kinds of stuff happens. Well let me say I've been around here a few years and lurked in the pif thread awhile before I decided to join and I had fun. Got the chance to meet some people who I wouldn't of normally crossed paths with and made some friends. As far as all the other stuff...... The ignore button is a great feature. There's obviously some people who claim to have lives ( going to "work". Going out with "family") but their lives are obviously online cause people with a job and a family don't spend that much time online worried about what everybody else is doing. That being said, thanks to all the people who went above and beyond in that thread just because they felt like it. I didn't participate in alot of the bigger stuff but it was great to watch and refreshing to see someone doing something good cause they felt like it instead of being a asshat cause the felt like it.
Tl;Dr had fun while it lasted

Camelbak makes some good bags at a moderate price range. I use those and TAD gear but they get expensive. I used the same camelbak in the sandbox for a total of over 3 years and it hung tough. No rips or tears, but definitely has a patina:)

Have you looked at 5.11 stuff? I have a number of their molle type bags. However their prices aren't so different from Maxpedition stuff.

I have. I get a discount from through a benefit from a mountain bike organization I'm a part of. I have their pushpack, I think, and it's... okay. I think I would be good with something similar if it had the addition molle surface area but it can only fit a few small things.

I am definitely NOT trying to start anything or cause any issues ...

I do not have a dog in this fight ... I wouldn't even comment except after seeing this thread this morning ... I spent a good while reading a few threads which all centered on this ...

I did not join in the orginal thread ... nobody needs me to supervise ... and I am not trying to ...

but if it truly is a "PIF - Pay It Forward" ... why does the value or what anyone puts in it matter?

maybe I'm mistaken ... but isn't paying it forward doing something for someone else to pass along something someone has done for me ?

so isn't that a selfless act that the value comes from sharing something or giving something needed without return expectations ???

expecting a same value item ... isn't that a trade not a PIF ?

Not to get too off topic answer why's and what's about that thread, but the sole reason for the need of value equity was so people didn't take something nice and offer peanuts, which ended up happening sometimes anyway. It's too easy to take advantage of the system without it and then it's just paying forward peanuts, not really doing anyone any good either. Unless you really like peanuts.

I have to imagine any organized institution that gives regularly has some type of qualification to receive a gift. Even GAW's on the forum often have criteria to enter the giveaway, like being a paid member which is a pay to play system.

A trade involves 2 people directly exchanging items with each other. The PIF operated in 3's, so to speak. I offer A, you claim A and offer B, Johnny rocket claims B and offers C. In a trade, I offer A, you give me B and I give you A. A trade is a closed loop, pay it forward is open... or I guess a bigger loop at least if it's only a handful of people offering and claiming things. The bigger closed loop is where the swap meet comments come from, which still is different than a trade or a give away so not necessarily belonging to one of the threads of the mentioned the pay it forward thread belonged.

Okay, I typed more than I expected. Sorry gents. Also apologize for the spelling mistakes that are probably there, typing on my phone and I can't type for poo on touch screen.

Edit: Thinking more, the thread wasn't really a true pay it forward either. Perpetual trade/GAW/PIF hybrid of sorts? I'm not sure what you would call it, but it has elements of all 3 but is starkly different

Also fixed a few mispellings. I phone has the dumby check turned off because it doesn't recognize scientific words and I got tired of fighting it. Can't spell with it anyway, so not sure it helped. I try to proofread profession texts much better than forum posts from my phone.

Last edited:
Camelbak makes some good bags at a moderate price range. I use those and TAD gear but they get expensive. I used the same camelbak in the sandbox for a total of over 3 years and it hung tough. No rips or tears, but definitely has a patina:)

Completely forgot about the camelbak stuff. I can probably workout a sizeable discount through a bike shop I used to race for (owner is a good friend too. Was in my wedding).

I have the motherload. Quantico is a little smaller I believe. Both have lots of molle.

I did my best to live up to the spirit of the thread. I think I put up around 14 things and claimed 4. Admittedly I was “guilty” of paying attention to value and mentioned it in response to questions about the stuff I was putting in a few times. In hindsight I can see how that makes it look like a swap or a trade.

What caught my attention at the end and in the W&C was Sharp & Fiery being called out for “junk”’he put up for a knife. I can’t remember and don’t care who called him out but I do believe it had something to do with claiming the Guardian 3 I put in and putting up two dive knives. What most people did not know at the time is that his claim was for another member from the start and he was putting up his knives for someone else’s benefit. I don’t think he ever publicly mentioned that but I could be mistaken.

I witnessed countless other acts of generosity in the time I was active in the thread.

I could see how someone looking in would not see the overall good will the thread supported. Sure there were occasions where things were unfair and sure some people took advantage of the generosity of others. It probably got worse towards the end. But overall my experience was a good one. It’s too bad it fell apart but that’s gonna happen more often than not when you put a very diverse group of people together and there are sharp shiny objects involved.

bikerector bikerector I would be very interested in what you are thinking of doing. Sound like something I pondered.

Back