The Just Hanging Out Thread.

I enjoyed the thread. Participated a few times, and very much enjoyed the sheer generosity of some of the people there.

Got a couple things myself, passed on a few to others, and all around had a good time. Sad to see it go, but seems inevitable considering that was what the 8th rendition of PIF or something thereabout?

Makes you wonder about the w&c crew who are just mad at life for no reason. Sparks inbox probably looked more packed than a Syrian evacuee boat.

Not to get too off topic answer why's and what's about that thread, but the sole reason for the need of value equity was so people didn't take something nice and offer peanuts, which ended up happening sometimes anyway. It's too easy to take advantage of the system without it and then it's just paying forward peanuts, not really doing anyone any good either. Unless you really like peanuts.

I have to imagine any organized institution that gives regularly has some type of qualification to receive a gift. Even GAW's on the forum often have criteria to enter the giveaway, like being a paid member which is a pay to play system.

A trade involves 2 people directly exchanging items with each other. The PIF operated in 3's, so to speak. I offer A, you claim A and offer B, Johnny rocket claims B and offers C. In a trade, I offer A, you give me B and I give you A. A trade is a closed loop, pay it forward is open... or I guess a bigger loop at least if it's only a handful of people offering and claiming things. The bigger closed loop is where the swap meet comments come from, which still is different than a trade or a give away so not necessarily belonging to one of the threads of the mentioned the pay it forward thread belonged.

Okay, I typed more than I expected. Sorry gents. Also apologize for the spelling mistakes that are probably there, typing on my phone and I can't type for poo on touch screen.

Edit: Thinking more, the thread wasn't really a true pay it forward either. Perpetual trade/GAW/PIF hybrid of sorts? I'm not sure what you would call it, but it has elements of all 3 but is starkly different

Also fixed a few mispellings. I phone has the dumby check turned off because it doesn't recognize scientific words and I got tired of fighting it. Can't spell with it anyway, so not sure it helped. I try to proofread profession texts much better than forum posts from my phone.

I understand why you would want a close to equal values in the situation the thread was ... and I know some will take advantage of anything ...

reading your reply ... I think you saw what I asked and why ... and you stating it isn't a true PIF as such I think that may clarify it for some ...

I actually think the intention of the thread was good even if not a true PIF ...

thanks for your reply ... and I hope it goes better if you create a new thread ...

Last edited:
The guy that couldn't sell his junk on eBay is literally not welcome in the next iteration of this once it gets structured so that ppl understand what it is. Ppl who behave like that aren't welcome either.

And for the record it's not a true pif, never started as that. It was a spin off of a pass around box if you recall. It turned into a hybrid something with lots of opportunities to help out fellow knife nuts or for mutual enjoyment of knives to try out and put back in. And that's the spirit that we want to move ahead with.

Seems like things have gotten wildly out of hand in the last 24 hours.
I thought I was around for the whole shebang, but seems I missed quite a few key elements.
Seems like today has been a giant scat tossing contest.

Seems like things have gotten wildly out of hand in the last 24 hours.
I thought I was around for the whole shebang, but seems I missed quite a few key elements.
Seems like today has been a giant scat tossing contest.
Nah not really, maybe this morning. It’s calming down. I did take exception to them talking smack about bikerector and sharpandfiery though. Just gave them a new shiny object to chase. Gone too far now though. Misspelled blanks and one called me racist. I don’t play that game. Waste of time. Anyway, so no one has any new knives or anything going on? Did @sabre cat ever get his jeep running?

Today marks the 10 year anniversary on BF. I tend to come and go, use the forum for an informational resource, sell/buy, and have short periods of more action when work/life allows and I have a little now time on my hands.

Don’t get me wrong, I do get a lot of great research from BF, but I don’t really feel like I need to chime in a lot or say something that’s already been said in 4 other ways. So yeah, my post count isn’t high but I’ve been hanging around a bit.

The thing I liked the most about the PIF was the randomness. It was a thread that was often very different day to day and could take some wild hard turns, too, but (until the end) without any of the crazy mental instability of some of the other lurking areas of BF.

IDK if it’s possible to get it back at this point, at least not here... there seems a contingent that’s just enjoying warming themselves on a fire they def helped fan. But it was one of the few threads I enjoyed keeping up on.

I’d suggest a private FB group where the moderation can be shared by a few folks if it were to continue at all.

For my part, I got my last two PIFs out the door in the last 24 hrs. Didn’t feel right to leave those hanging.

Cheers, gents.

Crk Inkosi arriving tomorrow!
I've been saving up for one myself. Then just when I get close, boom need new tires, or need to feed the kids, or something else I don't want to do lol. One day though... One day.... I'll have that large inkosi tanto with black micarta inlays.

I've been saving up for one myself. Then just when I get close, boom need new tires, or need to feed the kids, or something else I don't want to do lol. One day though... One day.... I'll have that large inkosi tanto with black micarta inlays.
There are so many other ti framelock out there that arguably are smoother than a crk. And if you've had other ti framelocks they're all kinds the same. So you're not missing much.

That said I'm a sucker for flat scales and compact carry. This is gonna be my 6th try at keeping/carrying a crk. My prior jobs didn't really allow me to edc a modern so maybe it will be difft this time. This is gonna sound nuts but a large Ontario rat 1 feels a lot like a large Seb in hand. A CRKT Drifter pretty much feels like a small Seb. If those fit your hand a crk might work for you. Otherwise they're pretty much old technology at this point. Ti Spyderco framelocks are every bit as smooth as a crk. So are many kizers that I've tried.

There are so many other ti framelock out there that arguably are smoother than a crk. And if you've had other ti framelocks they're all kinds the same. So you're not missing much.

That said I'm a sucker for flat scales and compact carry. This is gonna be my 6th try at keeping/carrying a crk. My prior jobs didn't really allow me to edc a modern so maybe it will be difft this time. This is gonna sound nuts but a large Ontario rat 1 feels a lot like a large Seb in hand. A CRKT Drifter pretty much feels like a small Seb. If those fit your hand a crk might work for you. Otherwise they're pretty much old technology at this point. Ti Spyderco framelocks are every bit as smooth as a crk. So are many kizers that I've tried.
I've had and have Spyderco TI framelocks. A couple from other manufacturers. Everyone tells me to try a CRK, so I'll give it a shot. I do wish they used bearings though, and a flipper tab. But I love my flippers so I'm just being picky at that point.

Ha! You guys want to blame some "W&C crew" for the thread getting closed when it was actually the direct result of your own failure to deal with problems as they arose?
All it took to implode was some criticism?
Alright then. Maybe you should go to a private FB page. How long will that last? Until you all run out of things to swap out? Sounds like fun!
Just open a new thread here with better rules and guidelines and enforce them.:rolleyes:

Ha! You guys want to blame some "W&C crew" for the thread getting closed when it was actually the direct result of your own failure to deal with problems as they arose?
Alright then. Maybe you should go to a private FB page. How long will that last? Until you all run out of things to swap out? Sounds like fun!
Just open a new thread here with better rules and guidelines and enforce them.:rolleyes:
I think everyone is over it now. Seems like there's plans for a new one with more rules to help it go smoother. From what I read it's been the longest standing one so far. Sounds like an overall win to me.

It's sorted man. The core group is taking a break for a bit.

Back to the crk's they 100% are not going to flick as well are as easy to open as a flipper.

The main advantages to a lot of ppl is the disassemble easy which i dont care about. I just like that they sit flat in my pocket.

Some dude had a Seb with a spydie hole mod o was trying to trade him for it but it was a no go.

I'm newer to collecting. I've carried knives for 13 years, but never got into the nitty gritty like steels and materials until now. As I've been collecting, I noticed I'm getting a bunch of knives for no reason, and really slowed down my buying. Now I'm of the mindset to just have like 5 or 6 good knives, and leave it at that. Enter CRK.
Everyone says they last a lifetime, and it seems the spa treatment they do there will keep the thing going forever.
Not getting rid of all my spydies, but I want to see what all the hype is about.

Back