The K390 Thread - Photos and Experiences

My new K390 Police arrived today, finally get to try it out! Only thing I'm not a fan of are the teal blue scales. Any recommendations for aftermarket Police scales?

I don’t know of any at this point. You could try rit dye. There are plenty of tutorials if you are not familiar. I dyed a set of scales on a Lum Chinese Folder and it turned out well. Might be worth a shot.

JonesE

Just got home and used my Pacific Salt 2 to open my new K390 Police 4. I've not handled a Police before and was worried it would be too big and turn me off. Holy smokes was I wrong, this thing is spectacular! I was thinking about ordering an Endura to give me something in the middle, but now I think I'll pick up another Police for good measure.

On another note, does anyone know whether the Wiseman Fang (an aftermarket wave feature) will fit on the Police 4? If not then any recommendations for an alternative that doesn't involve using a Dremel?

So there could never be a sprint run k390 PM2 nor an exclusive to another dealer other than BBS, correct? The BBS one is about $240 when shipping fee is added, which makes it the most expensive PM2 ever seen by me (kw cf m4 had the same price but that one has cf scales).

No, there could never be another sprint run with K390 steel and ranger green scales. Throw a different scale on there and the knife can be another sprint or dealer exclusive.

Mine came in today. This is my first Police model and it is one big honkin' knife! Took some comparison shots to other Spydies as well.
vnDkAnq.jpg

AS5oh3n.jpg

v7cKtPE.jpg

z4ZJJxZ.jpg

Cb9Sw5Y.jpg

2fQj7je.jpg

Just got home and used my Pacific Salt 2 to open my new K390 Police 4. I've not handled a Police before and was worried it would be too big and turn me off. Holy smokes was I wrong, this thing is spectacular! I was thinking about ordering an Endura to give me something in the middle, but now I think I'll pick up another Police for good measure.

On another note, does anyone know whether the Wiseman Fang (an aftermarket wave feature) will fit on the Police 4? If not then any recommendations for an alternative that doesn't involve using a Dremel?

The Police 4 has quickly become my favorite knife.

Picked up the Bento Box k390 pm2 last summer. Day one of ownership used it to cut open about 30-40 bags of mulch. After each bag, I chucked it down into the ground...you know real “badass” style...blade into the dirt with the handle sticking up lol. I noticed about 25 bags in it wasn’t slicing as smooth weird I know! Well apparently my dumbass was throwing the blade into about 2” of dirt on top of about 5” of gravel. Looked at the blade and it had a ton of micro chips out of the blade somehow though I didn’t break the tip. Later that night it sharpened right back up like a boss. Not my brightest moment but what a great steel lol.

Mine came in today. This is my first Police model and it is one big honkin' knife! Took some comparison shots to other Spydies as well.
vnDkAnq.jpg

AS5oh3n.jpg

v7cKtPE.jpg

z4ZJJxZ.jpg

Cb9Sw5Y.jpg

2fQj7je.jpg
There are lots of burrs on the inside of the frn scales. It's also on the outside too, on the "border" of the frame. You can easily cut off the inside one with another knife without taking it apart. I go further and knock down all of the sharp points and put a chamfer on. Anyhow, the frn feels proper afterwards. :)
:thumbsup:

vnDkAnq.jpg

Thanks for sharing the comparison pics. They are truly helpful. The P4 is a beast of a knife.

JonesE

So I ordered a Police 4 K390 Lightweight. What pushed me over the edge was a $20 store credit at DLT Trading based on points accrued from prior purchases. Free shipping and $20 off? Yeah, I'm good with that. This purchase earned me $5.42 off my next purchase. Diabolical!

Zo0BTT8.jpg

Gratuitous pic of urban convenience package incorporating a VG-10 P4 Lightweight, a.k.a. an Endura XL.

Last edited:
So I ordered a Police 4 K390 Lightweight. What pushed me over the edge was a $20 store credit at DLT Trading based on points accrued from prior purchases. Free shipping and $20 off? Yeah, I'm good with that. This purchase earned me $5.42 off my next purchase. Diabolical!

Zo0BTT8.jpg

Gratuitous pic of urban convenience package incorporating a VG-10 P4 Lightweight, a.k.a. an Endura XL.

It's hard to beat deals like that. I got the k390 Police in and then ordered the VG10 version for when I wanted a stainless option. I just love the P4 platform.

This pocket clip shreds pockets. Need a longer one that sits on the flats of the knife better. Time to go clip shopping!

This pocket clip shreds pockets. Need a longer one that sits on the flats of the knife better. Time to go clip shopping!

I changed mine out to a stock Para 2 clip (no lanyard/screw hole). I'm not noticing any premature wear though.

Its already shredding mine just from carrying it a short while.

I'll have to pay attention to it and see how it goes. I'm rocking my VG10 version today in khakis for work.

Let us know what you find.

I'll have to pay attention to it and see how it goes. I'm rocking my VG10 version today in khakis for work.

Let us know what you find.

I ended up going with a Lynch long clip. I would have bought an MXG one since I like those better, but they didn’t offer a long one to sit on the flats.

From way back in 2013 when spyderco first introduced K390. Back when I was actively testing stuff too. It was still sharp after this but wouldn't shave. A quick touch up on a dmt blue stone and it was back in action. I was sold from this point on.
83B9nsr.jpg

mhi2iTP.jpg

This was a 4"x20' strap. I think it was 2 ply and either polyester or nylon.

Here too; twas a good day. Additionally my first Yoji2 departed DLT. Here's my first taste of K390:

CEK0af6h.jpg

O8PwSpah.jpg

WwdlZMvh.jpg

9Ax4Bh0h.jpg

Digging the Endela's blade profile. Gets my vote as the pattern if there is ever an Endura 5.

Yeah - the more I look at the Endela blade, the more the fattier profile looks interesting to me. I need to pull the trigger.

Edit: pulled the wrong trigger by ordering a Rex 45 Native Chief :p so I need to re-pull the trigger;)

Last edited:
Back