The KA-BAR Story Episode 2 "Kill A Bear"

Very well done!! I love history, knife history, and in particular KA-BAR history. Very nicely produced!!
Thanks, gunsil! Appreciate the kind words; I am glad someone with your knowledge is enjoying this.

My favorite episode is next week, Episode 3. I will be curious to see what you think about it. It certainly has a different feel than the others.

That was great, thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to Episode 3!

I've been a KA-BAR fan for almost 50 years, carried a Camillus brand 1217 in the Marines 1970-72 and gifted it to a young soldier when he left for Afghanistan in 2006.

Replaced that one with the D-2 Extreme Fighting-Utility Knife, and also bought a 1273 for hog hunting... great knives.

Swampdog, back in 1970 was your fighting/utility knife presented to you at the completion of BootCamp or issued to you less ceremoniously?

Swampdog, back in 1970 was your fighting/utility knife presented to you at the completion of BootCamp or issued to you less ceremoniously?

Sac troop - No sir, purchased at Camp Lejeune Base Exchange for $7 (on a PFC's salary) in the sporting goods section.

It was only an issue item to NCO's as I recall, but a lot of junior enlisted purchased their own.

Watching it again, I do not think the knife shown on the soldier at 11:46 in the video is a KA-BAR. It looks more like a Schrade bowie hunter. What era is that photo of the soldier? NO KA-BARs had such bright red spacers and a shiny pommel. Still an excellent production.

Nice docu.
Story wise.
How about some shots of period knives
added in on the following episodes??!
On the whole,
it's seems like a worthwhile promo effort in the long run.
Good job!

Watching it again, I do not think the knife shown on the soldier at 11:46 in the video is a KA-BAR. It looks more like a Schrade bowie hunter. What era is that photo of the soldier? NO KA-BARs had such bright red spacers and a shiny pommel. Still an excellent production.

I think you are right. We receive photos from folks all the time and this was in our batch of 1960s pictures. I believe he said he carried a KA-BAR hunting knife, but as you have pointed out some of the features say otherwise. As you can imagine, we receive a lot of questions and photos that are not KA-BAR.

The price sounds about right to me. 7 dollars in 1970 translates to over $46 in 2018. My 1974 Camillus price list shows this knife at $13.50 list with a jobber price of $6.07. Really more of question of what the exchanges mark up would be.

Very nicely done.
I picked mine up at the PX in 29 palms. In the early 90's

Very nicely done indeed. Mine came from camp Lejeune in 1988. A friend's brother was in boot camp, and his mother bought it for me. It was one of the ww2 tributes with the staples in the sheath. I used it to field dress my first deer. Great knife.

Last edited:
Back