The Kershaw Leek Review

1660_1_1024x1024.jpg

The Kershaw Leek, designed by respected knife guru Ken Onion, is without doubt one of the best selling pocket knives of all time. Kershaw ships eye-popping volumes of the Leek each and every year to the envy of big-time rivals Benchmade, Gerber and Spyderco. But how can the knife that’s named after a vegetable be so popular? In this article I’ll tell you why.

The Kershaw ‘Ken Onion’ Leek has certainly made quite a name for itself over the years. Many of you will already be aware of Kershaw which has fast become one of powerhouses in US pocket knife production. Pete Kershaw, formerly of Gerber Knives, launched his own business, Kershaw Knives, in 1974 to make knives based on his own designs. By 1977, Kershaw Knives was bought up by the KAI Group and manufacturing of the knives moved primarily to Kai USA’s Tualatin, Oregon factory. Today, some knives are made in Japanese and Chinese factories, but many, including the Leek are 100% US-made.

Key Specs

• Blade length: 3.0 inches
  • Overall length: 7.0 inches
  • Closed length: 4.0 inches
  • Weight: 3.0 ounces
  • Blade material: Sandvik 14C28N
  • Handle material: Stainless steel
  • Locking mechanism: Frame Lock
  • County of origin: USA

If you want the best price on the Leek you’re probably going to find it at (( deal spotting )) who sell tons of these.

Variants

Given the massive popularity of the Leek, Kershaw has naturally introduced a mind-boggling array of variants with different colors, steels and finishes. It’s a master stoke on Kershaw’s part because now the Leek appeals to collectors.

There are simply too many for me to list here but rest assured that whatever you’re looking for is most probably out there. Mother of pearl handle? Damascus blade? Tanto Leek? Don’t worry, Kershaw has you covered.

The standard Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, model 1660 is the most common variant out there and forms the basis of my review below.

So, why all the the fuss about the Leek? The first reason for the Kershaw Leek’s popularity is that it hits the sweet spot of sizing in the EDC market. The Leek features a blade length of exactly 3 inches, with a 4 inch closed length and an overall length of 7 inches. Perhaps more importantly, it weighs a mere 3 ounces in your pocket. If you look up EDC in the dictionary, a picture of the Leek would not be out of place.

The Blade

Kershaw has been using Sandvik 14C28N steel, made in Sweden, for some time now, and with good reason. If you’ve read my guide to knife steels, you’ll know that Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel sits firmly in the upper mid-range category. Basically, it represents a formidable price-to-performance ratio and one of my favorite steels in this category. The edge performance of this steel is quite impressive, and it maintains a high level of hardness and resistance to corrosion. 14C28N is a fine choice for an EDC knife of this type, being easy to sharpen but retaining its edge better than many other choices for the price. Seriously, you could sharpen this thing with your eyes closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my rebuttal to that review...

*The blade has a paper thin tip which most people break.Break that tip and the safety switch is useless.

*The assisted opening function crapped out on mine after a few years of ownership.I know it can be replaced but assisted openers don't do anything for me anymore...a shortly enjoyed gimmick.

*Kershaw is too cheap to satin finish the Sandvik steel so they put bead blast finish it...develops nasty spot rust.

*Doesn't really carry in a balanced way on one's pocket unless your pants are snug

It's a knife pushed by a YouTube reviewer who took a sudden interest in knives and talks them up with the suave yet dishonest vibe of a used car salesman.Kershaw's credit I feel goes to their hunting cutlery that was made in Japan.

With all due respect, a rebuttal to the rebuttal.

1) paper is only a few .001" thick so paper thin blade tip is at best an exaggeration. The Leek has a thin tip to be used appropriately. It's a cutting tool not a pry bar. When used correctly it will last like any other thin blade knife. I have had mine for several years and so have a couple other people I know well and none of us have broken the tip. Which causes me to question the statement, "...tip which most people break" ???

2) If "... assisted openers don't do anything for me anymore" this is not a fault of the knife therefore has no purpose in a knife review.

3) Of the seven Kershaw Leeks I'm familiar with none show the slightest bit of rust, even those with 4 plus years of near daily carry and use.

4) "Carry balance" (whatever that means) is subjective without some method of rating the "balance" so, this too is an opinion only as valid as any other opinion. The Leek hangs vertically on it's clip, balance in the pocket is similar to any other knife being carried in the same fashion.

5) Having not seen any YouTube reviews on the Leek I won't comment on the statement, "It's a knife pushed by a YouTube reviewer who took a sudden interest in knives and talks them up with the suave yet dishonest vibe of a used car salesman." except to say, this is clearly an opinion of a reviewer, not to be confused with a knife review. A poor reviewer should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on a decision to consider a Kershaw Leek. Instead a good indication of the quality of design, material and workmanship of the Leek might be the huge numbers of satisfied customers. As Kershaw's best selling knife year after year the Leek has proven itself to be a excellent EDC knife and one I highly recommend.

Redsparrow, I agree sir. I have wanted a Leek for a good while. I was finally able to get one and I really liked it alot. After about 3 days I gave it to someone who wanted one too. :D I didn't have it long enough to run it through its paces but I liked it enough to want to replace it.

GM1, you have good taste in cutlery and sound like a generous person. Another one of the Leek's positive attributes is they are fairly inexpensive. Hope you're able to secure a replacement soon to give it a more suitable test period. You will find they're up to any reasonable task. -James

Recently, when Amazon had the Kershaw Leek variants on their Deal of the Day, I bought two, one stainless steel frame lock and one orange aluminum scale liner lock. I always found the blade shape useful on other knives, but I found the knife generally costs more than I wanted to pay for it. Just like the Kershaw Skyline, it carries deeper tip down. The safety seems like a gimmick to me and I may eventually remove it. The blade's cutting edge has a very slight, almost imperceptible, belly. So far, this knife seems best at opening packages and envelopes and is less useful for food preparation where cutting on a flat surface is done. The thin and potentially fragile point is not unique to the Leek. I also have a couple Spyderco Yojimbo 2, Military and Paramilitary 2 knives. I would avoid dropping any of them when they are open, especially onto a concrete floor. Those small points are great for tight intricate work, such as splinter removal. The Kershaw Leek is excellent when used as designed. The complaints from some are a lot like complaining how a screwdriver is lousy at driving nails; it does not mean the screwdriver has no place in the toolbox.

Redsparrow, I agree sir. I have wanted a Leek for a good while. I was finally able to get one and I really liked it alot. After about 3 days I gave it to someone who wanted one too. :D I didn't have it long enough to run it through its paces but I liked it enough to want to replace it.
+1.

I sold my blue Leek a few years ago, scared of the super-sharp tip and of it opening in my pocket. (if one has to use the safety lock, it defeats the point of a one-handed opener)

Now, I realize those are imagined problems, not real ones, and I just ordered another. This time, I'll find out for real how the tip holds up and whether it will self-deploy in my pocket.

I just sold my Leek after less than 8 months. I had the all steel version. It was a good knife, just not for me. I like more sweep in my blades and I found the tip too thin and fragile. I prefer to carry tip-up and found the Leek rode best tip-down. I found the flipper tab to be too small. I wanted something little smaller and lighter with tip-up deep pocket carry for EDC. I ordered a Kizer Mini Begleiter to replace it.

Last edited:
I have had the Kershaw Leek for a lil over 10 years, It was my EDC for about 5 years, I have no complaints with it, holds edge decent but also is very easy to put an edge back on when needed.
IMO, it`s a decent knife for those that do not wanna spend more than 50 bucks.

I have one and I like it. It is not meant to pry open manhole covers but if used correctly, it will serve you well. My main use is office carry. So light you don't notice it in the pocket. Beware because the lack of weight plush the slick-ness of the scales makes it easy to be pulled out of the pocket (while putting on or taking of a coat, for example) and you will not notice it if happens to fall in a soft surface.

At the office the main use is food prep and the tip is ok for now. I wouldn't carry it on a hike as the slick handles don't go well with cold hands and I probably want something more substantial.

Mikel

Back