the khukuri in combat

I have had two seperate forum members ask me how I would recommend they use the khukuri in combat. I think I can trust you guys not to abuse any knowledge I share with you, so here are a few of the things I told them.
These are all my opinions, based upon what I have learned over here.
No guarantee to be gospel, you understand.
Please take these ideas for whatever value they may have to you.
I do not want to get into any sort of debate with anyone about whether or not what I said was correct.
IF you like it, keep it.
IF you disagree, please just go read something else.
Thank you.

1. First of all, get rid of pre-conceived notions.
2. All weapons are the same.
3. Keep your weapon hidden at all times, even during combat.
(hold it behind your back, up your sleeve, inside your coat, or behind your arm. put your hand in his face, raise his arm, just dont let him see the weapon. If he doesnt know its coming, he wont even try to defend himself against it.)
4. Don't try to use the khukuri, just move your body out of the way of the attack. In so doing, opportunities will arise wherein the khukuri will come alive and do what it does all on it's own.
That's how it is with these ancient weapons, they usually know more about fighting than the guy who holds them.
5. Don't focus on winning, just keep yourself alive.
6. Don't focus on the one opponent, there may be and usually are more than just one of them.
7. Get rid of preconceived notions. (again)

Cheers for that Danny, very interesting stuff. Actually it goes along with what I was reading a while ago in a book by a British soldier who fought in Burma (forget the name but he used a Khuk he purchased in India). It seemed to me that whenever he used his Khuk it was a matter of holding something heafty (rifle, timber, whatever) in his left hand, Khuk down low in his right, when he was attacked he would dodge to his right and use whatever was in his left hand to deflect the blow which would turn his opponant to his left and then follow it with the Khuk at whatever the softest target to present itself was. I guessed that this was to a large extent down to his bayonet training, since the 'ideal' defensive move with a bayonet is to knock your opponants weapon to the left with the blade and clout him round the head with the butt. Keep in mind I have no martial arts training and little on a bayonet so it is all opinion.

and thanks. "Listening" to the weapon is excellent advice. So is:

Train with the weapon you carry, or a reasonable facimile.

The weapon concealment is good too. I my western MA exp, a shield is very handy for concealing weapon and intent. (Are western martial arts the only one that uses shields in combat? No other school I've run across (cept Gatka) uses shields. Too bad ifn ye ask me...I agree with Musashi's two weapon theory, but if ya use only one, a shield is invaluable). Books, clothes, stance, also good fer concealment.

I also found that the Okinawan Kama style lends itself well to the khuk, with all those neat double strikes and augmented blocks. I'm sure Bando has its own techniques or adaptations fer the khuk.

Thanks fer sharin, Godan!

Keith

Thank you Danny!

Wow...that's what we need for the MKK...fly Danny to Ohio for a day to do some Khuk-friendly demonstrations! :D

A lot of people blend the Khukuri into other art styles very common is kali or Arnis. The Khukuri has many advantages not seen by a lot of people by looking at it of even in a few chops. The blade shape itself has an amazing martial art contained within it.

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
(Are western martial arts the only one that uses shields in combat?
Long history in China.
Both 1-1 combat & in battle.
Battle shields larger:
http://www.gladiatorgames.co.uk/chinese.htm
china1.jpg

30" diameter 17th century style
(smaller bamboo used in some kung fu styles)
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,antique-chinese-shield,332085.html
SFJ8265w002.jpg

Great info Danny...those are really neat pointers.
Like Nasty said, wish you were a lil closer so you could
make the Khonvention...;)

Very interesting philosophy, Danny.

I will remember what you said and meditate on this. Unsure if it will stick with me or not as of yet, though.

If you look at your left hand in a relaxed position, it will probably assume a natural curve that is very reminiscent of a khukuris curve.
It reminds me of senseis' hands as they lightly landed on incoming attackers' arms.
They dont grab, they just land on the attacking arm like a feather.
You could let your khukuri just land there lightly too.
Then if he moves at all, he gets cut.
His fault, his own doing.

there are many more scary things a khukuri can do, but i dont think i should put them on the internet. If you email me i will give you some more ideas.

Oh yeah ! Thats right, train with good copies of your real weapons.
I traced my gelbu out on plastic kitchen cutting board then cut out the outline with a jigsaw.
Clean up the edges with a linoleum knife and wrap the handle with tape. Voila!

Or if you practice a lot you could get a blem and round off the point and grind down the cutting edge until it's dull or round.

I would be interested in an exchange of ideas on the Khukuri combat
I have been in martial arts for about 35 years doing Khukuri the last 20 ..still learning all the time

I studied Kali for a while,the khuks fit very well in that martial
form. I have be practicing all my old moves and find that
the difference between slashing and chopping to be minimal.

The deflection bits and hand protection parts, are a bit more difficult to deal with. I have been playing with a few ideas, nothing solid as of yet. I think agressive deployment(with a stick this concept is used in kali) may make up the difference as far a hand protection is concerned. Not sure, but I am sure I don't want to get in a fight to find out. I think The curved blade make parry/riposte concept a bad idea. That could change with a adapted technique ( that I haven't found yet). IN fact, stabing in general would be not be a good khuh move, especially initally. Anybody got any ideas? I like to wave my khuh around in the air, and hear it swish.....It will keep me busy and with a 18" ak, it is a work out.

I am not an expert, or gifted in any way , make no mistakes and I make no claims.

In Kali, flow is more stressed more than form, especially early on. It is a different approach. Most all martial arts I have seen focus on form for all beginners and don't even mention flow untill the highest levels.

I believe that it is the "secret" in most all higher forms. It is also the most difficult concept to master and practice. Not sure myself, I just know it takes lots of practice for the few "perfect" moments and after that accessing those is another art.

that is a wonderful centerboss shield! Note the metal wire/strip strengtheners. Keeps the weight down, blade resistance up. Similar examples are found inn europe throughout history.

might even be concealable as a hat! IMHO, hardhats make the best improvised bucklers. You can block and punch with them (I worked at a slaughterhouse as a securty guard, and everyone had these wicked sharp knives. Sometimes there were uh..issues on the cut and kill lines...luckily mostly accidents.

Danny, thanx again!

Keith

Originally posted by spiraltwista
I Like your combat stratighy Danny, Reminds me of Sun Tzu, Have you read his "the art of war"? He has brilliant concepts as true today as 2500 years ago I find.

http://www.kimsoft.com/polwar.htm

Spiral

Hi Spiral,

Ninjutsu does infact originate from chapter 13 of Sun Tzu's book, reference the 5 Kan. The concepts from this book came to Japan in the late 12th Century and the Bujutsu art of Ninjutsu was not formalised until I believe, the 14th Century. The great Kusunoki Masashige (1294 - 1336) is accredited to being the founder of Ninjutsu.

On using the Kukri for combat:
At Blue Belt in the style of MA I do, we are required to learn 11 basic cuts and 11 blocks, all with live (and sharp!) blades, we then put both cut and defence techniques together using shoto. Have to learn on both left and right hand I may add!!

At Shodan we then do intermediate kukri, where we cover cut follow up and the counter attack from the block. At Sandan we do advanced kukri and Kukri v's Bayonet! Haven't got there yet though!!

We have some Royal Marines that train with us when they are not away on duty, so what they are taught must be correct, their lives could depend on it.

I've been taught that the way the kukri is used is based on the kukri shape as each weapon is unique, although obviously there are cross over techniques from weapon to weapon and the kukri being an "overt" weapon in the main, the techniques reflect that. The best weapons schools in the world have based their techniques on the strengths and weaknesses of the blade they use, for example the saber parrys in one way and the Katana blocks in another way etc etc.

Like no 5 Danny "Don't focus on winning, just keep yourself alive". Will definately remember that one!
"K"

Hi "K",
Wow! No wonder it reminded me of Sun Tzu then! Thats amazing to me, as I havent read it for 15 years!

Ill have to read it again now!

So Ninjas originated in China not Japan then? I always thought they were Japanese.

Cheers,
Spiral

Back