the khukuri in combat

Ya pin head......that was good, ya got me!:D
I went back and hopefully edited out gender specific references to be polite and more accurate.
As for her "sticking it through and stating her case" as you said"
She has no case-there is no case to be had. They have been denied at several opportunities to be recognized as they cannot "prove" their case at all.
Actually as you could tell I had drafted that response and was waiting to hear back to fill in more information. It is always good to take an eager young mind and send them to the right sources and then let them do research on their own.
As for me I may have to wait till we train to get more anecdotal first-hand information. I ain't _that_ old that I trained with Don. His closest friend is now 65 the others are in their 50's I train with and know some of them.

Its wierd listening to quotes from people that mean the "opposite" of what they felt. And just now hearing you use Terry's name and the words "Christ-like" in the same sentence urges me to write...but..Somethings are better left unsaid too..we were all young men once

Peace
Dan

Hi Dan!
I Still think she stated her case as originaly asked too.

But no worrys!

But I am a Bit confused by your Quote?

"Its wierd listening to quotes from people that mean the "opposite" of what they felt. And just now hearing you use Terry's name and the words "Christ-like" in the same sentence urges me to write...but..Somethings are better left unsaid too..we were all young men once

Peace
Dan"

Terry & Christ like & opposites etc.? Where did that one come from?
Dont think it was this thread!

Cheers,
Spiral

quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
That was from John not you ...sorry

read below
cheers
Dan

The late Terry Dobson once wrote an essay on the principles of aiki. It involved an encounter he had with a drunk on the tokyo metro and how he watched an old man apply the priciples of aiki, rather than the bone breaking techniques. 'A kind word turneth away wrath'.

Great story, wasn't it? I think that is what Hatsumi called "a true heart", or something like that. The type of person we should aspire to be...a real "Christian". (IE- "like Christ") Shin-shin shin-gon.

John

I'm sure the same stuff happens on knitting forums. Such and such yarn is better than this brand or the age old acrylic vs. wool debate. In the end it doesen't really matter. What it all boils down to is, can I make a sweater and will it keep me warm? Who taught me how to knit doesn't matter if I can't make a pair of mittens.

It's easier being the village idiot, but that's my job. However, there is an opening for assistant to the village idiot.

Back to more important things such as eating my bag of m&m's

I could not _disagree_ with this more. And this attitude has perpetuted many frauds in the martial art world with the cry "can't we all get along"
There is certainly right and wrong, and true or false.
And Sorry but "not all opinions are equal."
In a world where the kids are being told that everything boils down to opinion and view and "math concepts" in school
I am glad my engineering staff makes a building safe to walk through based on science and material spec.
Koryu is defined in Japan.
You have the paper work or you don't.
You have case or not.

cheers
Dan

Dan,

I am always respectful of both careful research and hard training. I see no contradiction in a martial artist seeking a peaceful, loving path.

I think the mat (used in the general sense, as in realistic training, not steroid-pumped athletes battering each other with a ref watching) is the final arbiter.

You speak of frauds. Well, it's pretty easy to spot what I consider a fraud. Watch their body. Listen to what they say.

Easy.

John

I repeat my assertion that this is NOT the place for this discussion. I do not see it as helpful to us as people, warriors, or friends.

It would be much better to suggest quality reading and leave your opinions at the door, or at sites dedicated to this.

John

Leanne, she writes much on the women warrior path!

Dan, please read the text you quote of Diane's, especially this:

"Again, just because we don't share the same opinion doesn't mean that we are not all doing useful and good training."

I think this is what Spectre is saying as well. I can almost assure you that you would find my training and scholarly work in the W MAs lacking or inappropriate in some way, but I am okay with that.

:)

Keith

Dan, I appreciate you comments, I also appreciate that some of Draegars works are in some respects out of date. However to get up-to-date information on Ninjutsu, we use Stephen Turnbull who was as i'm sure you know, actually hired by the Japanese government to do the official history of Ninjutsu in Japan.

I note the books you recommend, (as well as the ones recommended by Bex, Ferrous Wheel and others. Apologies if I have forgotten anyone!!), and I shall endeavour to study them.

You have your opinion, I'll have mine, everyone else will have theirs!! They may change as time goes on, but thats as they say, "all part of the learning curve".

Thank you to all that have contributed to my learning in a "positive" manner!!

Don't know about anyone else, but i'm off to the knitting forum!!!! LOL!!

Now did someone mention khukuri in combat??

Cheers, Leanne

;)

Back