The Knife vs. The Garlic, the battle is now over, rejoice!

I am posting this here because if looks like it will work using just about any knife that is in the kitchen, your pocket or maybe even a stick at the campsite. Simple and effective and puts centuries of food preparation frustrations in yesterday's garbage. Rumor has it that the video this lady is sharing with the world has gone viral. The 25 seconds is worth your while, although I would bet most of you will pick up the procedure in about 8 seconds. I wish I had thought of it. Have you done his before seeing the video?
https://twitter.com/VPestilenZ/status/1140437217619390465

Hmmm. I would be wary of using a Spyderco, because they're mostly ground pretty thin at the tip.

Nice-looking knife. Wharncliffe profile, but it's hard to see much more than that. My first guess would be something like the CRKT SPEW, or maybe a Bradford of some kind.....?

Maybe you can describe it to us. Just clicking on some link, especially one with an oddly worded lead in ("Rumor has it that the video this lady is sharing with the world has gone viral." ?!? :confused:) seems risky.

Maybe you can describe it to us. Just clicking on some link, especially one with an oddly worded lead in ("Rumor has it that the video this lady is sharing with the world has gone viral." ?!? :confused:) seems risky.
I'm gonna watch it right after I throw out that one vegetable.

OK watched it. I think it depends on the garlic. We're kind of in a garlic growing region and I f I get the nice Russian ones or the other fancy bunches I can just pop out the cloves from the skin with my fingers.

For the bulk grocery store stuff it's a bit tougher to peel because the skins are thinner. I'll have to try it next time.

Stick the knife right in the clove and pop it out.

I have watched it and the easiest way is to spend eight seconds in fear and let your eye do the teaching rather than trying to decipher my encrypted prose. However, if you insist, stab the clove with the tip of your knife and a quick flick of the wrist which is a little reminiscent of opening of the flipper you might be carrying in your pocket or perhaps the wrist's action of removing your soup spoon from the bowl.

OK watched it. I think it depends on the garlic. We're kind of in a garlic growing region and I f I get the nice Russian ones or the other fancy bunches I can just pop out the cloves from the skin with my fingers.

For the bulk grocery store stuff it's a bit tougher to peel because the skins are thinner. I'll have to try it next time.
We only have the grocery store garlic around here and as a retired barber I think it is safe to say I have fiddled with trying to peal a garlic clove longer than I used to take shaving a client with a straight edge. This is a game changer for me.

The sliicone tube rollers work good too but you really want to cheat just use a good press and you don't even have to peel it.

Video is broken for me, but peeling garlic cloves is an easy job lay the garlic coves on a plastic cutting board and cover it with the flat of any wide bladed knife and slap it with the heel of your hand the clove flexes, the skin does not.

Video is broken for me, but peeling garlic cloves is an easy job lay the garlic coves on a plastic cutting board and cover it with the flat of any wide bladed knife and slap it with the heel of your hand the clove flexes, the skin does not.

^^ This ^^

Chefs and home cooks alike have been doing this for centuries without much issue. Hell, my daughter has been doing it since she learned to help us in the kitchen at 7 y/o.

This is how I've done it for many a year.

The wife got one of those rubber tube jobbies, and it works pretty good too.

I think I will try this method. I've never seen it done this way, but it looks like it deserves the ol' college try.

I think it is safe to say I have fiddled with trying to peal a garlic clove longer than I used to take shaving a client with a straight edge
I lived in Belgium for a year, and the first time I went in for a haircut the barber went for it with a straight razor. I didn't know a shave came with it, and boy was that an education....

I have to give this garlic trick a try though, much prefer a quick tip poke to smashing it flat and peeling.

ScooterG: That can come from sticking a knife blade in a power outlet or the beginnings of peripheral neuropathy.

Danke42: If you had mentioned silicone tube rollers yesterday I would have looked far and wide, but, since seeing the gal in the video I mentioned and me learning a new trick in the kitchen it sudden seems like technology I have no need for. But, then, I only really need two knives.

jaseman: It is becoming more obvious that I am a slow learner ... .

BitingSarcasm: Razor cut haircuts were a bit of a fad in the late 1970's until the mid 1980's here in the USA and it migrated here from Europe. I have not seen anyone advertise it for easily 30 years.

The video link still works for me even with the ad blocking extension active.

Last edited:
Back