Photos The knives of CMFTW (aka Charlie Mike aka Matt Freeman)

Matt’s gone but he’ll live on through his knives, posts and videos.

He was a prolific knife maker and making knives was his therapy and passion.

I was lucky enough to be his friend beyond the knives. I’ve known him for 20+ years and in that time he’s made and gifted me several original designs.

Celebrate his work, show your CMFTW knives, I know there’s a lot of them out there, from little push daggers to big a** combat Bowie’s. He’s was the king of the chisel grind and a master modder. He could wave any knife and did some controversial waves.

When he waved a large Sebenza for a GAW the community went wild.

Emerson can’t touch you now brother.

Let’s see you CMFTW knives, mods and waved blade.

6cEj8a0h.jpg

ITVFrCNh.jpg

Ky5hYDCh.jpg

IbTORYZl.jpg

hrS6HA6.jpg

a0v472A.jpg

CbvPxfk.jpg

I was workin’ on him to make me a flat v ground blade. I was so close to breakin’ him. The world will never see anything other than a chisel ground blade with the mark of CMFTW.

He had a stamp that he was given by a member here. I don’t think he ever used it on a knife he sold or gave away. He was fond of usin’ that Dremel to leave his mark and it made his knives that much more personal.

Keep the pics comin’ I’d love to have the body of his work in a single thread that could be searched.

Thanks in advance, if you have one of his knives you also have a story to go with it. If you don’t mind, share that too.

We talked a lot while he was goin’ through the trials of life. One day he sent me a tracking # and said to keep an eye out for a box.

In the box was The Mad Hungarian named by him and made to match the color of my 1989 Ford Ranger.

A couple of months later after he had been talkin’ to the daughter’s bf another tracking # and another knife, The Son of The Mad Hungarian or TSoTMH.

When I called him about makin’ a knife for a raffle/GAW he donated a matching pair of Perrin style daggers to help out.

He was one of BF’s most notable members and he touched a lot of people’s lives, here and around the Internet he will not be forgotten.

The above knife was a collaborative project between Freeman and I. He wouldn't accept a cent for his work.

I've known Matt here and on various social media platforms and telephone for a few years. We had somewhat of a similar background and he was a chief influence on myself choosing to be sober. I'm still incredibly twisted up over the news.

Good vibes sent to his family and cats. I hope Doctor Bob is doing alright.

I was workin’ on him to make me a flat v ground blade. I was so close to breakin’ him. The world will never see anything other than a chisel ground blade with the mark of CMFTW..

That's funny. I had to resist the urge to razz him about finishing the other side of the blade sometime. ;)

Always got a kick out of his mods. He was FEARLESS with the grinder! No piece was safe or exempt.

I was workin’ on him to make me a flat v ground blade. I was so close to breakin’ him. The world will never see anything other than a chisel ground blade with the mark of CMFTW.
I really wanted a knife from him with a V grind. I said if it makes you feel better call it a double chisel :p. You can really see how much he had progressed over the years. I was looking forward to him starting to use his new cnc machine and hopefully get a folder from him.

It took him a year to hook up and start using his new 2”X72” belt grinder. He was comfortable with what he was used to.

Sometimes he needed a little push to move from his comfort zone. Luckily he was comfortable in most situations and didn’t need prodding often.

The damascus push dagger he made for an HA buddy of mine just on a casual conversation. In fact I had that knife for 2 years and finally delivered it in person to the biker in SC this past summer.

Great pics everyone. Hard to believe he liked to grind freehand. It amazed me how clean, crisp and parallel his grinds were without a jig.

Every piece of equipment he added he learned how to use it always improving on his craft. He was like a sponge, every maker he talked to he learned from, every end user of his knives who gave feedback to him, helped to hone and fine tune his style.

I’m sad for the knives he’ll never make, so this thread hopefully will keep him alive through his knives and memories shared here.

the one and only CMFTW knife I have. pics from Matt and myself of it....cm knife 1.jpg cm knife 2.jpg cm knife 9.jpg cm knife 6.jpg cm knife 4.jpg cm knife 7.jpg cm knife 11.jpg 15476818979233334040406675615988.jpg cmknife 11.jpg
he made it three times as he got a bad steel batch. the man was like a machine. did 3 in days. in the end came out great. almost like the first 2 made the last even better from the practice. some of the three knives in production pics are mixed in so that's why the holes are slightly different etc.

Back