Photos The knives of CMFTW (aka Charlie Mike aka Matt Freeman)

Matt inspired me to do my own mods to get what I want. I was in love with everything waved years back, but the selection sucked. Enter pics of Matts modded knives, the light bulb went off and I started several of my own methods of pocket opening. I machined weld on daves, bolt on daves, ground them in, you name it.

Screenshot_20190118-075400_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
This tanto Matt made caught my eye and I had to have it. I traded him a nice knife and a good chunk of change for it. He told me it was the first knife he got a good hamon on. It's also ground on both sides which makes it SUPER rare. It's now in a good friend's collection.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was made from an old bastard file. I put the ironic *pink* cord wrap on it, but underneath the wrap it still said "bastard". Matt said he left it on there intentionally. Classic!

It gets even better... He had a giveaway here on the forums for the knife I traded to him (a GEC pioneer). Man, what a guy.

RIP Matt. You're sorely missed.

This is a good idea for a thread . I can't partisapat but I always liked his style both in knives & posting. Looking forward to the pictures.

This tanto Matt made caught my eye and I had to have it. I traded him a nice knife and a good chunk of change for it. He told me it was the first knife he got a good hamon on. It's also ground on both sides which makes it SUPER rare. It's now in a good friend's collection.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was made from an old bastard file. I put the ironic *pink* cord wrap on it, but underneath the wrap it still said "bastard". Matt said he left it on there intentionally. Classic!

It gets even better... He had a giveaway here on the forums for the knife I traded to him (a GEC pioneer). Man, what a guy.

RIP Matt. You're sorely missed.

I have ray skin knife belt pouch CM made, and the GEC 23 trapper belonged to Matt as well. This was a giveaway he did in the Traditional knife forum.

xG5VXyx.jpg

Gpd5Mvj.jpg

...and there's the knife I traded to him. I see that patina I started is carrying on nicely. I didn't know he had made a rayskin sheath for it - damn cool. I'm glad you won the giveaway, use it in good health!

Unfortunately i don't have a knife from him so I can't participate, but I was wondering, why did CM only grind one side of his blades?

Unfortunately i don't have a knife from him so I can't participate, but I was wondering, why did CM only grind one side of his blades?

Called a chisel grind. Preference, performance and looks. Some prefer chisel grind blades.

Some makers are well known for them.

I've never compared a chisel grind to the same thickness stock with a double ground blade. Some say they shear better. Especially with a push cut through tough material like a rope, or leather.

Sorry for the lousy picture...
These are my CMFTW knives...

The top is the CMFTW BoozeFighter, of which me & Matt were.
S90v I believe...

The middle is a CMFTW Ti knife, jic right?

The bottom is knife cool, even in pink!
We're secure in our masculinity!!
It was gifted to me in a trade with my "brother" AntDog!
Matt told me:
"That hamon tanto... V ground from an old file, likely W2. Very few V ground knives by me out there. Very special."

Matt was one of the first friends I made on BFs.
His willingness to openly discuss AA & his progress made me feel ok to chat with him.
I'm a quitter too, and he was an inspiration!

I may have posted this somewhere, to tell the truth, I'm still messed up a bit...
Matt told me:
"My only hope is that God has wrenches for both us nuts..."
That's a caring sentiment, for him to make, to an old RedNeck up in Canada...

Well, Goodbye "brother Matt", R.I.P.
Our thoughts & prayers are with you, your family, friends & of course the Kitties...
-6850 & Zoe...

IMG_0101.JPG

Back