The Large Inkosi; An Ongoing Review

I really love the feel of the large (and small) in the hand.
Now that they have introduced the Insingo blade for the Inkosi, I will have to pick up one of those as well!

I really love the feel of the large (and small) in the hand.
Now that they have introduced the Insingo blade for the Inkosi, I will have to pick up one of those as well!

I've thought about it as well but if I did I'd probably go small.

I've started saving up a 'large Inkosi fund', mostly through accumulated change that has been accumulating in a really big jar. I've already got a pretty good amount of it. It might not end up being all from change, but it's amazing how much spare change accumulates over time without realizing it. That way I have no need to feel 'guilty' about buying another knife, especially a high-end one like the large Inkosi.

I really love the ergonomics and cutting performance of my small Inkosi, but for general use of a one-handed knife, I generally prefer the same size as my large Insingo. When I get my large Inkosi, it will be the standard drop point blade. I'm happy enough with my large Insingo 21.

Jim

I guess this thread is relevant again. Every time I've sold this knife I've regretted it. I like to experience new gear and buy/sell/trade a lot. With that being said though - every time I've gotten rid of an Inkosi I really regret it. Awhile back I ended up getting a really nice deal on a Large 21 with micarta inlays and an Insingo blade. I really enjoyed that knife but it didn't fit my hand like the Inkosi and I ended up selling it. I tried to find a used Inkosi but every time a plain jane Large Inkosi came up for sale it was sold fairly quickly. About a week before my birthday this year I decided that I wanted an Inkosi in my pocket again and ordered a new one so every scratch and bit of wear would be mine. So here is the new Chief. For some reason I can't get over this knife:

rim95GuRdT4dRU4VeKGbTYmmH-ER4CY6GKWGIADlI-_rrACB68UTSGp-AvAMpoaup0yJ1ga4ScXUJv77f4R355YPPH1MzLKk0lXPT1TwwPwBqJC45N5zq7tFV-qM5DPqD0i3Avm95F4=w2400

It really is a fantastic knife and it fits my hand perfectly. I have other knives I enjoy like the griptilian and spyderco pm2 but the Inkosi always feels just a little better when I'm using it.

best knife I’ve ever handled. I had two; a plain one with insingo blade and, a Knives Ship Free exclusive red linen micarta inlay with a drop point blade.
I switch out the blades, sold the plain one with the drop point and kept the red micarta with insingo. Perfect!

I'm glad this thread has stayed alive.

I have the large Inko-singo and I think it is nearly perfect. That said, I absolutely love large Sebenza 21. Between the two though- either drop point or Insingo- you can't go wrong with the large Inkosi.

To muddy the waters, I do prefer the small Sebenza vs. the small Inkosi. The small Sebenza is a tad longer and fits my larger hand, but that's about the only reason.

If I had a knife to my head, I'd take the large Inkosi, and I'd "settle" for the large Sebenza and still be ahead!

I'm glad this thread has stayed alive.

I have the large Inko-singo and I think it is nearly perfect. That said, I absolutely love large Sebenza 21. Between the two though- either drop point or Insingo- you can't go wrong with the large Inkosi.

To muddy the waters, I do prefer the small Sebenza vs. the small Inkosi. The small Sebenza is a tad longer and fits my larger hand, but that's about the only reason.

If I had a knife to my head, I'd take the large Inkosi, and I'd "settle" for the large Sebenza and still be ahead!

That’s exactly my experience. For me both are fine in large but the small inkosi is too small. The small 21 fits my hand just right for a small knife and I can just get a comfortable 4 finger grip on it.

Not only is the small inkosi shorter in handle length but if you look at the finger choils they are also quite small.

I have two CRKs. A large plain Inkosi Insingo & a Wilson Starbenza 25. I prefer the Inkozi by a slim margin, because I think it addresses the only gripe I have with the Starbenza; which is the placement of the pocket clip on the lock bar. Because all of you guys on this forum are enablers, I often find myself getting new knives. I'm not a collector; all of my knives were bought to be used, but the "new favorites" always end up being put away & carried only occasionally, while the 25 or Inkozi end up back in my pocket on a regular basis.
DSC_0018-X3.jpg

My first CRK was a starbenza. Returned it. To me the Inkosi fits in my hand like a glove. The starbenza, no. But I do think th small 21 would be a good one. Maybe someday.

My first CRK was a starbenza. Returned it. To me the Inkosi fits in my hand like a glove. The starbenza, no. But I do think th small 21 would be a good one. Maybe someday.

I've been tempted by the Inkosi. I now own a Sebenza 21 large. I have small hands, and have been worried that the 2 finger cutouts on the Inkosi might not work for me. Odd I know, but the one cutout on the Sebenza leave my non-index fingers free to adjust.

I should just "bite the bullet" and give the Inkosi a try.

Well since Oct. of '16, I sold my first Inkosi for the "get all the knives" thinking. Took only three months of handling 50+ knives to realize my mistake. After hunting down a good deal, I again own what I can only say is a top five in any collection. Now that it's breaking in ever so nicely, it's time for a simple modification. Just a little acetone on the well used blue anno thumb studs to get em plain silver. Perfection.

Well since Oct. of '16, I sold my first Inkosi for the "get all the knives" thinking. Took only three months of handling 50+ knives to realize my mistake. After hunting down a good deal, I again own what I can only say is a top five in any collection. Now that it's breaking in ever so nicely, it's time for a simple modification. Just a little acetone on the well used blue anno thumb studs to get em plain silver. Perfection.

I may do that as well.

Received my large Inkosi Insingo today from Knifeart! Great guys to work with. They exchanged my new purchase from them, a small Sebenza Damascus, without any hassle.

I'm loving the smooth pivot system on this knife as well as the blade shape. I would give my large Sebenza a slight nod over the Inkosi for comfort in the hand. The "jimping on the Inkosi's blade is a bit sharper than the Sebenza.

Saving up for a Umnumzaan, and then my world will be complete:D Thank you all for you advice and encouragement in this forum of knife nuts!

Received my large Inkosi Insingo today from Knifeart! Great guys to work with. They exchanged my new purchase from them, a small Sebenza Damascus, without any hassle.

I'm loving the smooth pivot system on this knife as well as the blade shape. I would give my large Sebenza a slight nod over the Inkosi for comfort in the hand. The "jimping on the Inkosi's blade is a bit sharper than the Sebenza.

Saving up for a Umnumzaan, and then my world will be complete:D Thank you all for you advice and encouragement in this forum of knife nuts!

For me the Inkosi is more comfortable than the 21 but the Umnumzaan reigns supreme in every area. I love that knife. I carry the Inkosi at the office typically and the Zaan when I'm off.

Plan on getting a 21 for the collection soon though. :)

Well acetone didn't work. Hello mothers aluminum polish & microfiber towel. Also, last resort will be rotary tool w/ a buffing wheel.

Edit: I give you Mothers & rotary wheel...

nIQDrAq.jpg

vrYwm4z.jpg

Last edited:
Well I hope you are happy guys :D. The Inkosi has definitely given me "Chris Reeve" thumb, ouch! No pain no gain. I may have to resort to my ZT 0562Ti for a couple of days. The horror;)

Heck, one thing I learned from the double studs is my left hand thumb is really screwed up from a motorcycle accident years ago. I just can not open my right-handed Inkosi with my left hand. I did almost purchase a left-hand Inkosi, so I'm glade I dodged having to return it.

Next I'll have to get a Zaan and give it a try. As a public service of course!

Back