The last time that you had sticker shock?

Sticker shock only when I go to an box store, and I when I see the same knife less expensive on the store's website than in the store. I guess the in-store price is to cover capital costs.

Every Holt Bladeworks knife I see for sale anymore. I had one of the V1s from their second ever batch. Even at $500, I had some shock. Sold it for what I had in it since I never really carried it. Now I see them going for $1300 on the secondary and I don’t even know what new price is anymore.

I get sticker shock from the vast majority of knives at a flea market or pawn shop.
I don't even go to them anymore. The level of cheap Chinese junk, over-priced American junk, and vape "smoke" is too much for me to handle.
Usually shocked at what Major Outdoor and Sporting good stores want for their knives.

Noticed some major sporting good retailers coming down on their prices a good bit about 4-5 months ago. Maybe they're catching on to the fact that most people have caught on to the fact
that you can get name brand, American made blades cheaper online. However, the online retailers are usually much smaller businesses with honest owners that I'd rather support over a major chain store.
Not to mention the fact that they have far greater selection, and often have cool exclusives you can't get anywhere else.

Watching WE and Reate creep closer to average offerings coming in at the same price as CRK and Hinderer. Some of the Taiwan Spyderco's seem to be priced right in line (or more ) with comparable Golden models, which is odd. Most other companies are able to shed some cost, even in Taiwan.

Some of the plainer Ti folders still give me sticker shock sometimes. Oddly enough, the Sebenza didn't. A certain very popular brand of basic fixed blades did years ago. The prices some "Woodlore" style knives go for still shocks, never really got that pattern. Some of the prices 1980's, early 90's Japanese imports go for now shock me, mainly because I remember how cheap they were years ago.

That's about it.

I have been a collector for a long time,
So tell us about the last time that you were shocked by a knife; and for our purposes, it doesn’t matter whether that knife was multimillion art knife at a show or the first time that you gazed upon a Benchmade knife at the local sporting goods.

n2s

I get sticker shock every time I peruse an online knife store.

I've never been a "collector". I just like knives and own a lot of them. Call me "an accumulator" or "an over stimulated user". I grew up when pretty much everybody carried a pocket knife of some sort as an everyday tool. And they were priced like it. The concept of paying hundreds of dollars for something to be carried in my pocket still shocks me.

Even knowledgeable I'm sometimes shocked- There was a Borka Blades folder listed in the FS Forum that was $3-4K. A well known member here asked it there was 1 too many $0's in the price. His question reflected my disbelief.

A little while back, during the summer of 1987, the Bayside Marketplace had just opened in Miami. At that time it was positioned as an upscale tourist destination and I was there a couple of days after it opened. There was a sporting goods store that featured expensive big game salt water fishing gear. I remember finding myself frozen in place by a couple of their display cabinets that were full of custom made knives. There were beautiful fixed blades there priced in the four figures. I had never seen anything like that at the time. This was long before the internet and the “top end” knives that I was familiar with (usually in stores, gun magazines or Soldier of Fortune) were more like the Buck 184, Gerber BMF, and the original Cold Steel Tanto.

Sadly, those upscale stores are long gone, and Bayside today is about cheap tourist T-shirts, stale pizza and over-priced coffee. Oh, .....I purchased my first Gerber BMF around that time; which made me happy for years. :)

n2s

I went looking for years for a used Spyderco Police any version. At the time, new it was 120, the used ones were $150. I finally bought it new for 120. If you want sticker heart attack, got to the ICCE custom knife show. Some custom makers think way to highly of their work.

Not really shock but more like what the heck happened?

A year or 2 ago I bought a black coated, G10 scaled PM2 for a decent price---was looking to get second one and they're all $30 to $40 more than what I paid for the original one---I still haven't bought a second one.

price of damasteel steel knives from any maker. yikes.........

No sticker shock was greater than that clod on ebay selling a Begg Bodega for 2 million dollars,lowererd from the 3 million starting price...

Just like a few of the other “older” members have stated, I get sticker shock every day. When your frame of reference dates back 10 years or more, I suppose that’s inevitable. The reality is that you just become used to being a lot more selective with your purchases, knowing that the tides of popularity rise and fall, and making your personal value decisions carefully and patiently.

Just like a few of the other “older” members have stated, I get sticker shock every day. When your frame of reference dates back 10 years or more, I suppose that’s inevitable. The reality is that you just become used to being a lot more selective with your purchases, knowing that the tides of popularity rise and fall, and making your personal value decisions carefully and patiently.
Frame of reference is very important when considering a new knife acquisition. It bugs me just about every time I buy a loaf of name brand bread.

It seems that many young people have little frame of reference. I think it relates to their upbringing where their parents provided just about everything they wanted. Break a cell phone.... it is instantly replaced and usually with a better higher priced model.

I was looking at the Buck 112 Autos when the guy working at Shepherd Hill said "you gotta check this one out" and then he showed be a Benchmade Infidel. I say "wow; what a cool knife, How much?" He says "only $450" sheesh..... I know what Grips, Osbournes etc cost so I was thinking like $299. Holy moly

Benchmade balisongs trip me out with the prices now. When I bought my BM43 back around 2000ish I paid $124 new. Now They sell as much as 4 times as much. I don’t understand why stainless handles or slab construction cost so much. My balisong at least has machined titanium handles. Maybe benchmade feels there are enough cheapos out there to fill the void. Just not a fan of the morph. Then you got Kershaw charging to much for crap steel.

Sticker shock? When I open up the Exchange and see what the "scalpers" are asking for the latest Sprint Runs.

Back