The Maniaxe. All new!!!

manghu67

American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker
Specs, availability, pics, video. Hope you guys dig these.

Specs:

1) Project Mayhem = The Maniaxe. That's the official name. And this is just the beginning!

2) The world's first fully modular axe system. There are going to be more head styles and more handle styles.

3) ANY head will fit on ANY handle! Total interchangeability and mission flexibility. Going camping and want a fat bit and hammer poll? No problem. Deploying and need faster piece with a spike for breaching, punching holes in things, and possible CQB? I got you. Need a balls out fighter with the smallest possible form factor that will still tear shit up? Kowabunga. Just unfasten three bolts, pop the nuts, slide the old head out, and then slide the new head on. You say you broke your handles (not bloody likely), or you want different colored handles? Same deal. Total modularity. Total flexibility. Total customization.

4) Custom stainless steel fasteners heat treated for maximum durability and toughness. Bolts are T30 Torx. Nuts extend all the way through handles and heads, and bolts are solid with no vent. It's like having three solid rods of nearly 1/2" round bar holding the heads on. And that's just the heads. And oh, yeah - if you've got a Strider spanner, it will also work with these fasteners.

5) There is an internal mortise/tenon interface between the heads and the handles for maximum security and stablity.

6) Each of the two handle pieces is machined form a solid block of 1/2" G10. Excellent shock absorption. Electrically non-conductive so if you chop through a hot wire, you don't get blasted out of your boots. And damn near impervious to fluids, solvents, etc, as well as the environmental effects of heat, cold, and humidity. Handles are machined and then blasted, providing the ideal amount of traction for use with gloves or bare handed.

7) Heads are 3/8" thick S7 with a Rockwell hardness of around 56C (+/- 1). For those of you that are not familiar with this steel, it is a shock steel - this is what jackhammer bits are made of.

8) Both heads and fasteners will be blasted and then sent to Ionbond for DLC coating in black or coyote. I didn't have time before the trip to make that happen, but they'll be going out for that in the next week or so.

9) These will all come with a sheath system that provides a lot of flexible carry options. It will be a lot like these, which come with my custom axes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaD1G2eaXXc&feature=g-crec-u

Availability: As of the time of this writing, there are only two of these still available. Both are the fat bit variant with hammer poll. These WILL come with nice multi-carry Kydex sheaths. Please email to info@americankami.com to inquire. These are $700 each plus shipping.

Pics: My buddy Steve shot these while we were out at Ft Bragg last week for the USASOC Sniper Comp, so a big shout out to him for these awesome images. http://www.flickr.com/photos/st33ve0/sets/72157632185259151/detail/

Video: Matt from Grey Group and Ben Bawidamann from Bawidamann Blades reclaiming a parking space with one of the UNSHARPENED prototypes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aNuf7qWbM&feature=g-crec-u

DJ that is an awesome looking setup there, just really sweet looking. The modular nature makes it seem really versatile too. Are we going to see some chopping vids once you get that sucker sharpened?

Will you be putting out a model that has a hammer head for the main face? I really dig the hammer poll version you have there, but one of your hammers as the main part would be crazy awesome to see. Either way, I think you got a winner on your hands.

Thanks, buddy. Glad you like it.

You are absolutely going to see more chopping vids. :D I also did some chopping, penetration, and splitting tests with one of the unsharpened protos prior to leaving for Ft Bragg. Spike blasts through 1" void free plywood and 2x4s. Bit splits and bites big chips out of 2x4s. More to come, including pics and vids.

I sat down last night and spent a lot of time on CAD work. Still not finished with that, but there are currently 12 heads and 4 handles drawn up. All totally interchangeable. And one of the heads is a hammer. :D

DJ that is an awesome looking setup there, just really sweet looking. The modular nature makes it seem really versatile too. Are we going to see some chopping vids once you get that sucker sharpened?

Will you be putting out a model that has a hammer head for the main face? I really dig the hammer poll version you have there, but one of your hammers as the main part would be crazy awesome to see. Either way, I think you got a winner on your hands.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with DJ. The axe so far looks amazing. Being a modular setup makes it even cooler. Will each head fit each handle style?

Thanks buddy, I'm glad you dig it.

Yup! All heads fit all handles. About to get the ball rolling on the next batch, which means look forward to some all new head and handle styles. :)

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with DJ. The axe so far looks amazing. Being a modular setup makes it even cooler. Will each head fit each handle style?

Here they are, all DLC coated and finished up!

That's oil residue on the heads, the coating has a nice even matte finish.

The two in the top pic are available. :)

ManiaxeA23feb13.jpg

ManiaxeB23feb13.jpg

Those are sexy as hell. Still waiting to see that hammer version though :D

Thanks buddy. Glad you like 'em. I'm very happy with how the whole system has come together.

You won't have long to wait, the first of those hammer heads is off at heat treat right now, and should be back here in the next week or so. :D

Those are sexy as hell. Still waiting to see that hammer version though :D

Back