The Manix 2 Lightweight (S110V) is amazing.

I too love the steel, so far it's handled everything I have thrown at it with ease. Still factory sharp, still shaving hair on the arm. BUT I hate FRN handles so I combined a g10 s30v and the 110 blade with some Putnam toxic green G10. And it's my frankenmanix. It's really hard to get it out of my pocket. It was a bit expensive putting it togeather, but after selling off parts and pieces it cost me no more than any sprint run manix2 and I got exactly what I wanted.
DSCN3899.jpg

I'm also appreciative of the FRN/S110v combo. Despite its extreme lightness for its size it's feels reassuringly solid in hand. Sometimes I forget it's in my pocket which is rare to say for a knife it's size. Also the FRN is what helps keep the price down so low (relatively speaking) and keep it such an amazing value for the blade steel...

I have a blue delica setting next to me right now. I cannot close it one-handed without using some kind of external assist such as bumping it against my leg or the edge of a table. I don't think those types of actions are safe so I don't consider it a safe one-handed knife. My S110V Manix is exactly the same- won't close without outside assistance. I have at least 14 other folding Spyderco knives that I can easily and safely close one-handed. These are liner locks, BBL's and compression locks.

Hi bdmicarta, spydercos lockbacks close easily and safely one handed. Just hold it in a normal grip and depress the lock with thumb. The blade will fall harmlessly onto your index finger...shift grip and close. Like Goodeyesniper, I do it dozens of times a day sometimes. All of my kayak fishing knives are lockbacks where quick and safe one handed opening and closing is a must.

Hi bdmicarta, spydercos lockbacks close easily and safely one handed. Just hold it in a normal grip and depress the lock with thumb. The blade will fall harmlessly onto your index finger...shift grip and close. Like Goodeyesniper, I do it dozens of times a day sometimes. All of my kayak fishing knives are lockbacks where quick and safe one handed opening and closing is a must.

Careful with the Caly 3 and 3.5 doing this...the sharpened part of the blade is awful close to your finger when you grip behind the choil to use...fortunately the choil is somewhat ovoid and I just pull my index finger to the aft part of the choil before letting the blade fall onto my finger (Choil first with lots of room before the edge), then I move my hand out of the way and snap it shut. But yeah, all of my lockbacks can close easily and safely onto my finger when holding behind the finger choil, or front edge of the handle on the Delica etc. (No choil)...one handed is very easy on lockbacks when you know the tricks. I can ambidextrously close them one handed more easily than the Compression Lock, though that one isn't hard to do south paw in the first place so the increase of ease is fairly close.

Careful with the Caly 3 and 3.5 doing this...the sharpened part of the blade is awful close to your finger when you grip behind the choil to use...fortunately the choil is somewhat ovoid and I just pull my index finger to the aft part of the choil before letting the blade fall onto my finger (Choil first with lots of room before the edge), then I move my hand out of the way and snap it shut. But yeah, all of my lockbacks can close easily and safely onto my finger when holding behind the finger choil, or front edge of the handle on the Delica etc. (No choil)...one handed is very easy on lockbacks when you know the tricks. I can ambidextrously close them one handed more easily than the Compression Lock, though that one isn't hard to do south paw in the first place so the increase of ease is fairly close.

Correct! When I got my caly I noticed this right off the bat and adjusted accordingly. You can close it from the same grip as the delica/endura without the edge hitting your finger but it's too close for comfort. But yeah, the slight adjustment you described becomes obvious and natural as soon as u close it a coupes of times and ultimately it's just as safe as the other lockbacks.

I've cut myself a couple of times with my Caly 3.5 by letting the blade drop on to the back of my index finger when closing. Looking forward to the S110V Manix I pre ordered.

Can't believe how impossible it is to get one lately. Spyderco is way behind on demand. It's been months since it's been in stock anywhere.

Just hold it in a normal grip and depress the lock

The last time I did that I bled for a long time, I thought I might have permanent finger damage but it seemed to heal OK. I have refused to buy lockbacks ever since, except for my Delica and a Byrd Hawkbill.

IF you can successfully open the lock and let the blade drop onto your finger, then you have to do some complicated manipulations in order to finish closing the blade. When I first got a Manix 2 I wasn't impressed by it, but after I learned the right way to close it I found that it is my easiest knife of all to operate one-handed. I would have confidence operating it in the dark unlike most of my other one-handed knives. Both of my G10 Manix 2 models are pretty loose, my FRN model is still a bit tighter.

The last time I did that I bled for a long time, I thought I might have permanent finger damage but it seemed to heal OK. I have refused to buy lockbacks ever since, except for my Delica and a Byrd Hawkbill.

IF you can successfully open the lock and let the blade drop onto your finger, then you have to do some complicated manipulations in order to finish closing the blade. When I first got a Manix 2 I wasn't impressed by it, but after I learned the right way to close it I found that it is my easiest knife of all to operate one-handed. I would have confidence operating it in the dark unlike most of my other one-handed knives. Both of my G10 Manix 2 models are pretty loose, my FRN model is still a bit tighter.

A tad more than half my Spydercos (18 of 35) are lockbacks, and I'd have no qualms whatsoever about repeatedly opening and closing any of them in the dark. I've cut myself with a Spyderco once, but I was 100 feet up a cell tower and the load my co-worker was stabilizing slipped a bit as I was cutting some tape off it...cut right through my leather welding glove like it wasn't there...never cut myself opening or closing one yet.

That should never happen. You are definitely doing it wrong. Oh well, guess you proved your point; sounds like lockbacks just aren't for you.

Here's a video. "Complicated manipulations"?? :confused:
[video=youtube_share;aa2fItisnfs]http://youtu.be/aa2fItisnfs[/video]

Last edited:
This is such a bargain buy I wasn't going to take any chances ,ended paying a little more for one than I wanted to ,then my pre-order one finally came so now I have a back-up :D

I've heard they should be back in stock early this fall. I hope it's true as I've been wanting to pick one up myself.

if I had been aware it would take this long I would not have tied up $100 in pre-order.

Back