The Marble's USA Thread

Paul matey......
Your Photography is just awesome, and Oh man those knives!!:eek: Just stunners my friend!!:thumbup:

Thank you Duncan:thumbup: Queen did a fantastic job with these, f&f is really wonderful:) I'm finding out (I certainly could be wrong here) that the 01's are 1095 & the 02's are D2:eek:

Paul your Marbles folders are stunning and to find one with D2 is even better in my opinion.
What steel are the EO models?

Paul your Marbles folders are stunning and to find one with D2 is even better in my opinion.
What steel are the EO models?

Thanks Jon, the EO's are 1095. I don't have anything in print other than opinions from others. But if/when I re-profile I have a small belt sander and the sparks give me a good indication as well as other traits as to the steel.

Still would love to have one even in 1095. That stag EO is killing me. I remember when Mark first posted it and was obsessed with it then. I always liked vanguards too.

Still would love to have one even in 1095. That stag EO is killing me. I remember when Mark first posted it and was obsessed with it then. I always liked vanguards too.

Like you when I first saw Tom's Marble (wish Tom would come back)? I was hooked and then when Mark posted his in Red well...I was DETERMINED:thumbup:

I went to the big auction site and was watching the one that Jon actually bought in Buffalo horn, then he posted it in this thread, then later for Sale---it's been down hill for me ever since:D

Somehow I missed that buffalo horn being for sale. Lucky you cause I would have snapped that up too.
I like the EO models because I have a horrible habit of biting my nails. I hope to see them posted around.

I came here to post my latest Marbles USA Canoe Whittler:thumbup:

This is a 2002 Italian Jig Bone, I think I've seen it referred to as a Herringbone pattern in regards to the jigging?

This is NOT 1095, would it then be either 420 or 440 Stainless or D2? The tang stamp on the back of the blades reads AIRDI-150, does anyone know what that stands for?

MoDgAl.jpg

UFVe2T.jpg

Google is my friend as I did a search of AIRDI-150 and found out it is D2:thumbup:

Another stunning Marble's folder, Paul!! :thumbup::thumbup:
I've seen mention of Primble having a time machine that takes him back to find beautiful knives; do you have something similar, but it takes you back to a specific place (Gladstone, MI)? :confused::p

What's the closed length on your "canittler"? I recently got a Rough Rider lockback canoe whittler that I really like. It's only 3 1/8 inches closed, but I got it for whittling and I usually don't whittle very long at a time, so the smaller size won't bother me.

Anyway, congrats on a superb knife; love that herringbone jigging!!

- GT

Another stunning Marble's folder, Paul!! :thumbup::thumbup:
I've seen mention of Primble having a time machine that takes him back to find beautiful knives; do you have something similar, but it takes you back to a specific place (Gladstone, MI)? :confused::p

What's the closed length on your "canittler"? I recently got a Rough Rider lockback canoe whittler that I really like. It's only 3 1/8 inches closed, but I got it for whittling and I usually don't whittle very long at a time, so the smaller size won't bother me.

Anyway, congrats on a superb knife; love that herringbone jigging!!

- GT

Thanks Gary, the closed length is 3 3/4" The D2 is a work in progress for me as I've never had it on a traditional folder before. A lot of people like is once sharpened. I'm going to use it at work for a couple of weeks and form an opinion of it:thumbup:

I never got the the PO today so the package will go out Tuesday due to Monday being a Holiday.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend:)

Thanks for the info, Paul. Have fun getting to know your new D2 canoe (hey that's kinda poetic :rolleyes:).
Thanks for the package update. Whatever works for you is fine, since this week will be crazy for me anyway. Mondays are 7am to 9pm this semester, Tuesday I serve on a jury for who knows how long, Wednesday eye exams and (boring) meetings, but I should have time for basketball at lunchtime Thursday :D

- GT

Marbles trailmaker with a stag and leather handle. The sheath is not original, and the knife shows some obvious wear. Does anyone know how old this might be or have anymore information to share about it? I just received this knife as a gift and I'm trying to find more information about it and get a price estimate.

It sure is a sweet knife! Sorry I failed to post the actual photos, I couldn't get the actual photo to embed.

[http://kinger6.tumblr.com/post/123832384792/marbles-trailmaker]
[http://kinger6.tumblr.com/post/123831751647/marblestrailmaker-gladstone]

I am going to have go through this thread again, as I am sure I missed the answer to my own question.

I have been trying to learn how to date Marble's fixed blades and could use some help.

I found this info on another forum, and borrowed it.

"Checked my OLD Marble's and can now revise the Marble's Handle Spacer Dating Guide as follows:

B=Black
Br=Brass
W=White
R=Red
early 1920s: B-Br-R-Br-B
early 1930s: R-Br-B-Br-R-Br-B
1997: B-Br-R-R-Br-B-Br (pattern reverses on pommel end of handle).
1998: B-W-Br-R-R-Br-W-B
1999: B-Br-W-R-R-W-Br-B
2000: B-Br-Br-W-R-W-Br-Br-B
2001: B-W-Br-R-Br-W-B
2002: B-Br-R-W-R-Br-B"

However, the next post states that Marble's didn't start using spacers as an id until 1997. Does anyone have any info on dating the ones prior to 97?

Thanks

I have a 1930's Woodcraft: R-Br-B-Br-R

I have a WWII era Ideal, and it's the same as the Woodcraft

I have a 1930's Woodcraft: R-Br-B-Br-R

I have a WWII era Ideal, and it's the same as the Woodcraft

Would love to see those. I can't remember if you posted them here, or esle where.

So, if the spacers where only used as an ID from 97 on, does the stamp and pommel date the previous years?

According to Mike Stewart, who was in charge of knife production at Marble's for several years, a three-line, stamp was used until just after WW II. He says he believes the stamp varied in details in no particular pattern. Marble's had no great interest in dating of their knives as they regarded them simply as tools. They got stamped before the heat treatment with whatever stamp came to hand at the time.

Mike says the handle was lengthened in 1924. I have 3.75" handles and 4" handles. BUT all the 3.75" ones I have, Boy Scout knives each one, have a 3.75" handle and all date in 1933 or after.

I discover that I have a 6'-blade Ideal with the spacers B-Br-R-Br-B.

I have a Fieldcraft, a Northwoods Big Game Skinner and a Handy Hunter all in 52100 from the Mike Stewart era.

I also have a vintage Ideal I picked up for nearly nothing at a pawn shop.

The Fieldcraft is my go to knife for deer and general hunting chores and has been since I got it.

I have become a huge fan of 52100 because of how well it sharpens and holds an edge.

The Northwoods Skinner does duty as more of a camp knife...wicked slicer.

The Handy Hunter has beautiful stag covers and is the only knife in years I can't bring myself to use.

I have kept it mint.

The Marbles knives from the Stewart years, particularly the ones made with 52100, are in my opinion some of the very finest production fixed blades ever made.

The Marbles knives from the Stewart years, particularly the ones made with 52100, are in my opinion some of the very finest production fixed blades ever made.

Spot on. My Stewart-era Fieldcraft has seen far more use than any fixed blade in my collection. The 52-100 blade on that knife is just crazy good. Damned good pouch sheath too.

Spot on. My Stewart-era Fieldcraft has seen far more use than any fixed blade in my collection. The 52-100 blade on that knife is just crazy good. Damned good pouch sheath too.

I couldn't agree more, Buzzbait.

It's my favorite user.

How does Bark River's A2 compare, performance wise?

It was hard to compare. The grind on my Bark River (I don't have it anymore) was so different from my Marbles that it was difficult to make comparisons. The grind was convex, but the overall profile was much thinner than the Fieldcraft. In the end, the handle on the Bark River was too small for my hands, so it never got used much.

The quality was definitely there though. I've often thought about getting another Bark River, but haven't been able to settle on which model to get. So many to choose from!!!!

Back