The Marble's USA Thread

It was hard to compare. The grind on my Bark River (I don't have it anymore) was so different from my Marbles that it was difficult to make comparisons. The grind was convex, but the overall profile was much thinner than the Fieldcraft. In the end, the handle on the Bark River was too small for my hands, so it never got used much.

The quality was definitely there though. I've often thought about getting another Bark River, but haven't been able to settle on which model to get. So many to choose from!!!!

I have been looking the Bark Rivers over and scrutinizing them myself.

I'm liking the Gameskeeper pretty well.

According to Mike Stewart, who was in charge of knife production at Marble's for several years, a three-line, stamp was used until just after WW II. He says he believes the stamp varied in details in no particular pattern. Marble's had no great interest in dating of their knives as they regarded them simply as tools. They got stamped before the heat treatment with whatever stamp came to hand at the time.

Mike says the handle was lengthened in 1924. I have 3.75" handles and 4" handles. BUT all the 3.75" ones I have, Boy Scout knives each one, have a 3.75" handle and all date in 1933 or after.

I discover that I have a 6'-blade Ideal with the spacers B-Br-R-Br-B.

Thank you for the great info! :thumbup:

I really appreciate it.

Not sure on the year and steel of this one but Ive always wanted a Marble's. I was the only one who bid and wasn't expecting to win. Anything Im not seeing here?

Seller's pics and description.

"Up for bids is a vintage Marble's Woodcraft 4 1/2" blade, 8 1/4" overall.
Leather washer handle, aluminum pommel and 3/8" set nut.
Knife has never been sharpened or cleaned in any way.
Reasonable starting bid and no reserve. USA SALES ONLY!!!!"

Thanks for any info.

I hate to say this, but I bid and forgot about it. I never sent any questions. The leather certainly does look a little off.

It just looks poorly stored to me.
Or its a very complete forgery of a vintage knife.

It just looks poorly stored to me.
Or its a very complete forgery of a vintage knife.

:eek: It'll be a user so live, learn and return if it's fake. 14 day return policy. Otherwise Im ok with it

With the right tool, and assuming some BA didn't booger up the butt, you can tighten the column of leather disks.

With the right tool, and assuming some BA didn't booger up the butt, you can tighten the column of leather disks.

We'll see how this one plays out. Didn't know they forged these. Haven't read that anywhere. I was reading the other day about the tool.

Probably the strangest skinner I have ever seen. Blade is 2-1/4" long and oal is just 5-1/2"
Marbles damascus mini-skinner
Marbles.jpg

Found at a local antique mall
20150821_141314_zpstsqisiar.jpg
[/IMG]
20150907_201819_zpszwtdlkpw.jpg
[/IMG]
20150907_201834_zpsov2efd0s.jpg
[/IMG]
20150821_135916_zpsi5wegw5i.jpg
[/IMG]
Red background pics were after I wiped it off with a cloth...
20150821_141301_zpsyfagmk4f.jpg
[/IMG]
Not bad for $18 I suppose, missing matchbox

Last edited:
My gut says it's not fake, but even if it is Im gonna keep it. The leather isn't loose, it's nice an tight, but it is off track a bit.
Sharp. Doesn't ever looked used.

My first Marble's, if it's real.

Edit: A couple more shots that were not apart of the seller's pics

Last edited:
I agree with Thomas that the knife is an original Marbles knife. To me, from pictures given, it appears as if the leather spacers were cleaned up/polished at sometime in it's life. The blade also looks cleaned up. The handle also has been tightened at sometime as the end of the tang is higher then the brass nut. When they came from Marbles they were at the same height. The nut needs to be loosened with the correct tool, and the leather washers re- aligned. Tighten again with correct tool while holding everything in correct location. Very nice example and great find!

Thanks gentleman for the info. Wish I knew how to do all that Robert. Maybe one day I'll learn enough to give it a go.

Found this last week @ a garage sale in Boise, Id.
P1010036_zpsz04ae5tv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Didn't know what it was when I bought it, but thought it was old & neat. I think it might be valuable based on what limited googling I've done. Have lots of questions about it & any help from the forum will be appreciated. Lets see if what I learned on the net is correct...

Believe this to be an original M.S.A Co. (Marble's) Safety Hunting knife with leather sheath. Model 85. Nickel silver bolsters & liner, two piece guard, hard rubber "wagon wheel" handles. Manufactured between 1910/early1911 to 1913. Condition is as shown in the pics. How would you rate it? One little chunk missing from handle slab. Know this will hurt the value... but she is what she is. So, do I have something here or am I just wishful thinking? How close am I (if at all) to what I think I know about this knife? Sorry about the picture quality. If other photos will help with identification please let me know. Looking forward to learning from the forum. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
...What is it worth?"....

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...MBERS-Please-read-this-WHAT-IS-MY-KNIFE-WORTH

From Bladeforums rules:

WHAT IS MY KNIFE / GADGET / SPATULA / TUNING FORK WORTH ?!?!?!?!

In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only. This rule applies throughout the site.

In other words, without a paid Gold membership, you don't get to ask about sale values. Too many people abused this question to hint they had a knife for sale, which you need that membership for.

How much can I get for it is a popular question.... unfortunately more common than enthusiasm for the knives themselves. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay but you could look at completed auctions for a best guess of value. Hopefully, you'll keep and enjoy the knife and share more photos of your traditional knives.

Back