The Members Discussion Thread

I figured I'd re-route my bar length question directed at @Old Axeman to this thread and throw up a pair of pics featuring the 075 and 056 I mentioned. Also, if any of you can ID the middle saw in the 2nd pic, you'll get 10,000 bonus points!
59555393853-7-D0-ABD0-A-7272-4-EB8-8-A18-F37-F6-B6-FADBE.jpg

IMG-3678.jpg

042 or 048?

Reactions: A17
M muleman77 gets the 10,000 points while VintageAxe VintageAxe gets 5000 for being in the right model family. It is an 048 and it taught me how to strip a saw down to the bare cases and put it back together again. It has yet to cut anything but it may need to be torn down the the bare case halves again! I’m kinda wishing I’d just saved up for a little while longer and gotten a 461 or a 372 instead of trying (and failing) to get a better deal on a comparably sized saw. It makes me appreciate the fact that an axe only needs a handle and a sharp cutting edge to work. My final thoughts, don’t buy a used saw that is supposed to be a runner at night if it won’t start, and always bring the necessary tools to pull the muffler.

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

I wasn't aware of the website just some of the loose videos which I find really good ones but great that you've pointed out the collection. Did you see the series about getting out the massive grind stone yet?

I wasn't aware of the website just some of the loose videos which I find really good ones but great that you've pointed out the collection. Did you see the series about getting out the massive grind stone yet?
Yes, it was my favorite so far! The 70's wasn't that long ago and still doing things with out power equipment. At least them folks were outside, but that dust with no masks.

Some weekends back I saw the one of the ladies washing up. Really incredible essence of a certain past, better, I'd argue in that sense, than men out chopping down trees with horses.

8JCwrQA.jpg

i would like to inform you guys that i'v found the worst thing you can buy at an auction for $15, an exploding shotgun
in all seriousness, this is a world challenge ejector 12g with a twist barrel (like damascus but awful) made for black powder shells, it's missing the fore stock and the shoulder stock is pretty much a 2x4 of black or normal walnut in this pic, i'v taken an hour to get it to a good shape now, the screw in the stock doesnt actually reach to the reciever, so i gotta fix that, the half-cock doesnt actually stick, the locking lever is missing the spring and... oh yeah the barrel is a grenade at this point.

what i'm going to do to it, is refinish everything, make a fore stock, fix the lock lever and last but certainly not least, get a sub-gauge tube to go inside it, probably 20g, and then it should be ok to shoot. this isnt a brand name shotgun, nor is it a good shotgun, the only reason people do collect them is because nobody really wants them so i might cut the barrel down (within legal limits of course) and make myself a coach gun.

what do you guys think?

8JCwrQA.jpg

i would like to inform you guys that i'v found the worst thing you can buy at an auction for $15, an exploding shotgun
in all seriousness, this is a world challenge ejector 12g with a twist barrel (like damascus but awful) made for black powder shells, it's missing the fore stock and the shoulder stock is pretty much a 2x4 of black or normal walnut in this pic, i'v taken an hour to get it to a good shape now, the screw in the stock doesnt actually reach to the reciever, so i gotta fix that, the half-cock doesnt actually stick, the locking lever is missing the spring and... oh yeah the barrel is a grenade at this point.

what i'm going to do to it, is refinish everything, make a fore stock, fix the lock lever and last but certainly not least, get a sub-gauge tube to go inside it, probably 20g, and then it should be ok to shoot. this isnt a brand name shotgun, nor is it a good shotgun, the only reason people do collect them is because nobody really wants them so i might cut the barrel down (within legal limits of course) and make myself a coach gun.

what do you guys think?
Sounds like a fun winter project for a fella that knows what he's doing. Sounds like you do! Those involved projects often end up our favorites anyway. Even if someone else would think we were crazy for liking it so much. 18" is the minimum if I'm not mistaken. Look forward to your progress pics!

Last edited:
The weather in Missouri has been unseasonably warm lately. We had a cold snap yesterday with some snow. Highs in the mid 20’s. Perfect weather to get out and split some wood this afternoon. I love splitting wood when it’s frozen. It makes it so much easier I can split big 2’ rounds with an axe when I normally would have to use the maul. Plus I don’t have to sweat as much. Anybody else find it easier or more difficult to split when frozen?

The weather in Missouri has been unseasonably warm lately. We had a cold snap yesterday with some snow. Highs in the mid 20’s. Perfect weather to get out and split some wood this afternoon. I love splitting wood when it’s frozen. It makes it so much easier I can split big 2’ rounds with an axe when I normally would have to use the maul. Plus I don’t have to sweat as much. Anybody else find it easier or more difficult to split when frozen?
Depends on how wet the wood is! If it's dry it doesn't make much difference. But folks are generally splitting green wood so yeah much easier when frozen! It's actually fun I think. Especially nice straight grained red oak. Just blows right apart!

Dad always said, "Wood warms you when you are cuttin' it, when you are splittin' it and when you are burnin' it."

Back